Deleted Account Guest

Default Re: The Net Sum of Home Inspector Licensing

This Michael Pagoulatos needs a dose of reality. On his own website he is doing what he is telling you not to do in his interview.

I could only handle about ten minutes of the interview.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Deleted Account Guest

The synopsis is... The licensing bar is set so low that technical expertise & home inspection experience is trumped by business acumen, and in the end the profession is just another business.

Michael, (from his interview) realizes that experience & training will only make you fit to be at best an employee, success in business requires so much more.

His message is that when licensing comes everyone is equal. Training, CE's and intimately knowing how many angles dance on the head of a GFI always takes a back seat to marketing, promotion & consumer perception. The message is ... Associations that waste their resources branding their members so-called superior technical skills will see their message blended in to the background noise and cacophony of those who also-ran.

From the interview Michael makes it clear that inspectors who want to succeed post licensing would be wise to spend twice as much on marketing then they do on training, and hook up with an association that has the ability to successfully sell their membership to the public.

Kevin Barre Guest

I could only handle a (very) few minutes also. But that's all I needed to realize that I had been going about it all wrong! Dang...now I gotta go get educated in an entirely different discipline and learn how to impart a "warm and fuzzy" feeling to my clients.

Geez.

WOW! It makes no difference if an inspector has 2 or 50 hours of Cont. Ed.

What a crock! I challenge anyone to find a buyer who will go along with that.

Sorry, I try to give the NACHI organization a wide berth but this really pulled my chain. Not sure I'll make it through the 40 minute "interview," I got to 7 minutes and 30 seconds before I had a brain spasm.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

I made it to 'Welcome Michael, tell me what you can do for the home inspector' (or something like that).

You other guys must have more true grit than I do to have watched more of it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Two min of listening to gromicko for me was too much.
    His postor boy for this week, my moneys on he'll either be gone in a year, if he's not gone he will be another vender hawking his bs to the stray sheep that are already in awe over this bs there.

I made it through the 44 minutes - had to take 4 breaks! It got a little better. Honestly some of the advice is not bad. Overall it dwells too much on PR, to the point of pushing it ahead of technical knowledge.

As Scott said, Michael's own website does not follow his advice in the interview.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    Sorry, I try to give the NACHI organization a wide berth but this really pulled my chain. Not sure I'll make it through the 40 minute "interview," I got to 7 minutes and 30 seconds before I had a brain spasm. (my bold)

Eric,

This has N-O-T-H-I-N-G to do with NACHI and everything to do with licensing, which in Texas has become the great home inspector equalizer & association buster.

In the eye of the public... Licensing = Technical Competence + Experience, period end of story. In a licensed state you just ain't gonna find any customers willing to let you piss in their ear regarding how smart & experienced you are and how dumb & inexperienced your competition is, fahgettaboudit.

To be successful in licensed states will require home inspectors to compete on;

1). price $$$

2). The ability to deliver the (WFE) Warm Fuzzy Experience.

I would have thought that even a short-chain challenged individual like yourself would be able to see past your preconceived notions and get the bigger picture.

"a short-chain challenged individual like yourself"

Well Joe, I'm not sure why you thought a comment like that was warranted. Can't imagine any member of this forum would appreciate such a directed remark. I surely didn't.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    Well Joe, I'm not sure why you thought a comment like that was warranted.

I guess my chain was pulled when you attempted to twist this into something related to NACHI when it was clearly about licensing. In regards to your indignation, when you crowd the plate & get hit by the ball you get awarded 1st base not a home run, rub a little dirt on it.