Default Help with age of tankless water heater

Can anyone help to determine the age of a Bosch Powerstar Electric Tankless Water Heater?

Series #: AE 125
    Model #: 45-557701
    Serial #: 86D801868

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    George Hallaron: Owner primary inspector
    Bienvenue Home Inspections LLC
    www.bienvenuehomeinspections.com

Default Re: Help with age of tankless water heater

www.1stproinspection.com

Certified Master Inspector
    Like Us On Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/1stproinspection/

Thanks, Roy. Notice the dummy that typed the instructions says the digits represent the month and year when he means to say they represent the year first and then the month, sheesh.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Thanks, Roy. Notice the dummy that typed the instructions says the digits represent the month and year when he means to say they represent the year first and then the month, sheesh.
    It may actually be month and year: Serial #: 86D801868 would be 8 (Aug) of 01 (2001)

Maybe they don't make anything during Oct, Nov, and Dec ...

If it were to be the year and month, then it would be 80 (1980) and 1 (Jan) - and I doubt that for a tankless.

I agree that the web site does not seem to be correct - like someone screwed up some way.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Originally Posted by John Kogel Thanks, Roy. Notice the dummy that typed the instructions says the digits represent the month and year when he means to say they represent the year first and then the month, sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    It may actually be month and year: Serial #: 86D801868 would be 8 (Aug) of 01 (2001)

Maybe they don't make anything during Oct, Nov, and Dec ...

If it were to be the year and month, then it would be 80 (1980) and 1 (Jan) - and I doubt that for a tankless.

I agree that the web site does not seem to be correct - like someone screwed up some way.
    1) Every example given has the year first, sometimes only one digit for the year, lots of brilliant forethought there.

2) Tankless units have two styles given, including a 9 digit #, no dashes.

3) Changing the OP's "D" to a number 0, the first # gives the year, 2008 or 1998, now we are guessing based on the age of the house and the condition of the unit.

www.allsafehome.ca

Hi all,

I do appreciate the input on this matter however, I would like to be clear on my information about the unit. So here are a few Photos.

RIMG6150.JPGRIMG6147.JPGRIMG6148.JPGRIMG6149.JPG

A quick phone call to Bosch will clear it up for you....

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    A quick phone call to Bosch will clear it up for you....
    Yep ... and the 3rd photo even shows the toll free number to call ... ... his first post was on Saturday, so it is likely he was looking for information over the weekend, but it is now Monday ... ... so he can call them.

George - please update us when you call and find out what the number sequence is, thanks.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

"UPDATE"

So I called Bosch today, the gentleman that answered the phone was very eager to help me. When I asked him for the date of manufacture, He responded by asking for the serial number as usual when I make this type of call. When I read the number to him, there was a long pause. He then said; Oh, this is an electric unit. If it were a gas unit I could tell you the date based on the first few numbers. Would you mind holding? So after a brief hold he came back on the line and said; February of 2009. I responded Great! Thanks for the help.

"This is where the conversation started to head south".

I then asked him for the proper way to interpret the nomenclature for their electric tankless water heaters. After another long pause he responded; I don’t really know. All I do is enter the number into a Computer program and it gives me the information.

So I guess that I should be happy that I got the date of manufacture for this particular unit. I suppose that I will eventually be on a first name basis with their customer support staff.

Thanks, George. And to answer your original question, No, none of us can help you.

www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by George Hallaron View Post
    Can anyone help to determine the age of a Bosch Powerstar Electric Tankless Water Heater?

Series #: AE 125
    Model #: 45-557701
    Serial #: 86D801868
    Quote Originally Posted by George Hallaron View Post
    "UPDATE"
    When I read the number to him, there was a long pause. He then said; Oh, this is an electric unit.
    So after a brief hold he came back on the line and said; February of 2009. I responded Great!
    I then asked him for the proper way to interpret the nomenclature for their electric tankless water heaters. After another long pause he responded; I don’t really know. All I do is enter the number into a Computer program and it gives me the information.
    I suspect that there may be many people calling them about their Bosch electric tankless water heater serial number ages ...

How they got February of 2009 from 86D801868 is beyond me.

Nothing in there indicates February (the second month) ... unless that is what the D represents, but D if the fourth letter .... ???

The D could represent 2009 in a chart someplace, but then there is nothing which indicates 02 for February ... ??? If the 8 which follows the D represents the week (the 8th week would be February) then it would need two digits to represent March, April, May, June, ... etc.

Weird way for such a large company to operate. Oh well ...

George, thanks for the update.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I've always thought the Aquastar electric on-demand units , as with most of these "heaters", were imported and re-branded disposable crap; perhaps that's why they don't know when their made.