Thread: Skylight Draft?

russell kussner Guest

Default Skylight Draft?

My mother in law is selling her home. There is no indication of any water leak on any of the inside surfaces. The home inspector indicated he felt an air leak around the skylights and recommended all of them be replaced prior to closing or compensated for. If there is an air leak wouldn't there also be a water leak and evidence of the water? I don't know too much about this, I just want to get some solid information I can give my mother in law on this.

Thanks,
    Russ

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Skylight Draft?

Some skylights open for ventlation. The seal on these can leak air, but no water may get to the seal for it to leak water. A lip keeps the water away from the seal.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Russell,

Air leaks at skylights are very common and often do not result in water leaks. Most skylights around here sit on a raised curb. Generally, a 2x6 is attached to the roof framing and the perimeter of the curb is step flashed. Air leaks typically occur where the skylight rests on the curb, but can also flow through the voids between the gypsum wallboard and the framing. Caulking or foam sealant should be applied before the skylight is installed on the curb, but this is rarely done.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

The inspector may not have been commenting on any water leakage at all, only that he could feel a temperature change around the skylight indicating that a air leak in the seal is present.

Repair or give up some money for repairs would be the thing to do.

As a seller, I would offer up some cash and let the buyer fix it.

They won't, but then you won't have the headache of looking for a reputable contractor.

Thats Realtor talk.

Forgive me.

rick

russell kussner Guest

The skylights are fixed, don't open. An air leak in the seal does make sense. The buyer didn't ask for repair $, they went straight asking for replacement$$$$$. Too greedy if you ask me. Can these seals be replaced? Any idea what a ballpark cost would be per unit?

Quote Originally Posted by russell kussner View Post
    The skylights are fixed, don't open.

Can these seals be replaced?
    Yes. Simply remove the skylight dome and install a proper seal, some types of weatherstripping may work if the original seals are not available (some 'original seals' I've seen were nothing more than foam weatherstripping tape anyway).

Any idea what a ballpark cost would be per unit?
    No, but throw the buyer $100 per skylight if there are less than 3-4, if there are 3-4 or more, make it $50 or so each. This is because the person needs to get on the roof to fix them, and you will likely not get someone 'on the roof' for less than a couple of hundred bucks, and replacing the seal is not that had once on the roof with the weatherstripping.

As long as you don't break the dome, that is. (Which is why you want to give them $$$ and not do it yourself.)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

russell kussner Guest

Thanks for all your help. I'll let her know she can offer a few hundred dollars at the closing for repairs.
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by russell kussner View Post
    Thanks for all your help. I'll let her know she can offer a few hundred dollars at the closing for repairs.
    Russ
    If you want closing to go smooth, make all your counter offers prior to closing - sitting at the closing table is not the time to negotiate repair costs.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

russell kussner Guest

Yes, she is trying to get everything in line ahead of time. My inlaws are elderly and not well and it appears that the buyers are trying to take some advantage of that. Luckily my mother in law's bitch factor has kicked in and she is done being pushed around.

Tell her to throw in a bit of the middle age hot flashes and they'll back off from asking for any repairs. They might even pay full asking price.

rick