Default Composite decking

Is anyone aware of a recall of this product. I thought I had seen a recall notice on this but I can't find it. It's the old type and appears to have a lot more sawdust in the mix and less plastics. The top is all deteriorated, flaking off and very porous. Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Default Re: Composite decking

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    Is anyone aware of a recall of this product. I thought I had seen a recall notice on this but I can't find it. It's the old type and appears to have a lot more sawdust in the mix and less plastics. The top is all deteriorated, flaking off and very porous. Thanks!
    Yes, just do a Google search...

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    One would think that, after all the lawsuits and such, LP would realize it is cheaper to just burn the sawdust than to think of products to try to use it in ... just sayin' ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    One would think that, after all the lawsuits and such, LP would realize it is cheaper to just burn the sawdust than to think of products to try to use it in ... just sayin' ...
    I haven't run across the bad LP material for quite some time. Wish I had played more with it (defective) when I had a chance. Personally I think the issue was too much wood and not enough plastic to encapsulate sufficiently. Stuff acted like chip/press board once the water had gotten into it. Though the west was the listed area effected area it did show up in Maryland and was replaced by LP.

I found those recalls but this material looked different than those recalled. This was also installed on 18 inch centers.

Scott, I did an extensive google search before I posted this thread. If that's all you have to contribute I'd rather you said nothing.

Scott, I did an extensive google search before I posted this thread. If that's all you have to contribute I'd rather you said nothing.
    Tom,

Quite often the answer to a question posted here is found Google search by others here.

I suspect Scott did a Google search, found something, and then suggested that you do a Google search.

Frequently, it is asking the right question in a Google search - ask the question wrong or not including the right word brings back no or limited results, asking the same question with a different word and the results may come back with what you are looking for.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Tom,

Quite often the answer to a question posted here is found Google search by others here.

I suspect Scott did a Google search, found something, and then suggested that you do a Google search.

Frequently, it is asking the right question in a Google search - ask the question wrong or not including the right word brings back no or limited results, asking the same question with a different word and the results may come back with what you are looking for.
    You're right. I just took it the wrong way. Too early this morning. Sorry Scott.

http://www.sequim-real-estate-blog.c...-tyler-conkle/

Being installed on 18" centers has nothing to do with the product you have shown.
    If the issue was wavy, buckling and or twisted then it would be blamed on support.
    But you are showing (as best as I can tell from picts) product failure which can present in various ways and degrees. The different manufactures had problems some that presented the same, some not. The 5/4 material looks like LP veranda. Proving what you have is another story.

Does the following look similar to your material???

compositedeckingrewiews.org
    http://www.compositedeckingreviews.org/blog/

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    http://www.sequim-real-estate-blog.c...-tyler-conkle/

Being installed on 18" centers has nothing to do with the product you have shown.
    If the issue was wavy, buckling and or twisted then it would be blamed on support.
    But you are showing (as best as I can tell from picts) product failure which can present in various ways and degrees. The different manufactures had problems some that presented the same, some not. The 5/4 material looks like LP veranda. Proving what you have is another story.

Does the following look similar to your material???

compositedeckingrewiews.org
    http://www.compositedeckingreviews.org/blog/

Thank you Gary. Good information. When I was searching I wasn't getting the information on that specific LP Veranda product and that looks exactly like it. I agree with your thinking that there does not appear to be enough plastics in the material and that it is too porous.

Do not know what the exact problem was in manufacturing. To much wood not enough plastic, to much heat, not enough heat to much pressure or to little pressure on extrusion. But it went to hell i a hand basket pretty quickly.

Have been curious for years.

I found those recalls but this material looked different than those recalled. This was also installed on 18 inch centers.

Good Point!

Dan Cullen
    www.domicileconsulting.com
    Chicago IL

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cullen View Post
    Good Point!
    Maybe yes and maybe no.

To often it is about ones own perception about something. Such as; You say that you performed an extensive search for your shoes, meaning only that you looked at your feet.

Internet searches are more about thinking outside the box or how your are defining the parameters, an algorithm of filters. Also it can be about tenacity of the effort. Scott was saying that the answer is there you just have to look and think a little. That thinking is a valuable exercise research methodology. Also, a lesson on dealing with frustration.

Granted I have had experience with the issue which made posting the link easy/quick. Also thinking that it would be of benefit to others should they stumble upon this thread in an internet search in the future.

Jerry offered a possible explanation on Scott's comment/post. Apparently you didn't find it acceptable. Possibly my interpretation you will find more acceptable/palatable.

Always like to see happy campers in the forum.