Default exterior gas water heater

I see a lot of issues with having gas water heaters inside a home. Today, this one was installed outside, no cabinet. It's a newer one with the sealed bottom at the burner area.

Please help me find info on water heaters needing a closet - beside the common sense part of it. The data plate stickers are worn, can't tell the age.

Thanks!small tank.jpg

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com

Default Re: exterior gas water heater

That's an indoor location water heater.

The code reference would be to install it in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions and its listing - and if ... IF ... if listed for use outdoors it will state "Outdoor Use" on it.

If it does not state that it is listed for outdoor use on the label, then it is not suitable for outdoor use.

The fact that the water heater is a newer water heater and the labels are already gone is an excellent indication that the water heater is not listed for installation outdoors as the labels need to be suitable for its location (corrosion resistant, etc).

If the agent or seller says that it is suitable for installation outdoors, simply respond by stating 'Provide documentation from the manufacturer that this water heater is approved and listed for installation outdoors.' ... and that simply is not going to happen ... so they get to replace it with a water heater approved and listed for outdoor installation or they will need to build a suitable enclosure around that water heater to protect it from the weather.

I also see potential vent issues, support stand issues, no sediment trap, and other issues (you probably already have a long laundry list of issues besides the outdoor location issue).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry. That's exactly what I needed. Doing this 10 year and that's the first time I've seen one outside like that! Won't be the last I'm sure.

Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com

Jerry, I agree with you, except the vent issues. Its outside, why bother with a vent

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    Jerry, I agree with you, except the vent issues. Its outside, why bother with a vent
    To get it past the wall and above the roof so it does not kill anyone inside ... but I know what you mean ... Hey, it's already outside!

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It needs to be painted yellow.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    It needs to be painted yellow.
    You sure?

The white matches the window trim.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

My other thought was that installing a water heater outside in Arizona is a good idea. For about half the year you could turn it off and still have plenty of hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    My other thought was that installing a water heater outside in Arizona is a good idea. For about half the year you could turn it off and still have plenty of hot water
    Then it would need to be painted black.

That's the way they used to heat water for the old houses in South Florida - install a storage tank on the roof, paint the tank black, and let the sun heat it up during the day. Some of those old tanks were still on the roofs in the late 1980's ... but I doubt many (if any) were left after Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

They would install a water heater in the house but leave that old black tank on the roof, I helped take several of them down during renovations.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com