Richard Gregg Guest

Default Standing Water Between the Weeps in Window Trough

Just recently a certified home inspector I hired found a few issues with my, less-than-a-year-old home. One of the problems contended with two of my vinyl window troughs, elbowed if you will, between the two weeps in each. The end result was a good amount of standing water, at least 1/8th of inch or better just sitting there between the two weeps of each window. Because the windows are of the same dimensions, the inspector believed it (the problem) was perhaps some kind of manufacturing-defect. Anyway, a week later I showed my home builder's representative who is responsible for getting all identified problems fixed; however, he stated he has seen this before and it's perfectly normal (as if to say, we--the builder--won't fix this). He justified this by pouring more water into the trough and watching the water pour out the weeps. He said any water remaining and standing in the trough is just fine. Of course I agree with my home inspector but didn't have any strong argument(s). Any ideas out there as to what to say to my home builder's rep. as to why this should be fixed/corrected other than it's the opinion of my certified home builder this is a flaw? Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance!

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Standing Water Between the Weeps in Window Trough

post complete photos please

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

A couple of questions:

- "certified home inspectorinspectorrtified by whom? What credentials does your inspector have?

- Did the certified home inspector look at the manufacturer of the windows and check with the manufacturer as to the water? Did the builder's rep check with the manufacturer?

- The way that would hold water would likely be because there is a low area there, a low area may indicate that the windows are not installed properly. Again, the manufacturer would likely be able to answer that question too.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The standard answer from builders: "that's normal".

I would use a straight edge to see if the bottom of the window frame is straight. Look at the top of the inside where the flange sticks up and the outside wherever there is a line you can follow. If they are not straight then the window either distorted from heat or was not installed properly. It it distorted from heat it may not have been nailed properly.

If the siding is vinyl or some other easily removed material the fix would not be that bad. If it is stucco, manufactured stone, or brick, that's another story.

This may not be a big deal, but could effect how well the window seals.

I doubt it is normal.

In addition, it could be that the installers used the wrong foam, using high expansion foam rather than low expansion foam. High expansion foam can distort the frames. Shims may not have been installed as per manufactures installation instructions, in which case the bottom frame could sag particularly if they are large windows.

1) Take a picture of the window with water standing in trough.
    2) Determine the manufacture and obtain installation specifications.\
    3) Contact manufacture and have the manufacture of window provide you with a statement regarding the installation.

If the installation is incorrect, show the manufacture determination to the builder. Else, it will become about you forcing the builder to do something they don't want to do. They may relent if you become a royal pain.

Yep, some pictures of the problem would be about the only way to give some adviceā€¦ Also if you can post the page of the report that reports on the windows from the "Certified" home inspector that would be helpful as well.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

If you are in a development and other neighbouring homes have the same windows by the same builder, it would be advantageous to check them to see if your neighbours are experiencing the same problems.

Richard Gregg Guest

Default Update: Pictures of Standing Water Between the Weeps in Window Trough

Please go to: http://www.discoverhorizon.com/dl.aspx?i=8CeVfB3rMZszzz to view a copy of my homeowners inspection report. Once there, please either: 1) scroll down to page 26 of 31, or; 2) scroll down to page 1 of 31, click on the "INTERIOR" tab in the upper right-hand corner, and scroll down to page 26 of 31. Here you'll see the problem I'm having with standing water between the weeps in my two vinyl window troughs. Upon viewing this issue, can anyone please tell me a good reason(s)/explanation(s) as to WHY this problem should be fixed? My home builder's "Care Team Manager" (the individual who came out to review the discrepancies on my report) said he has seen this issue before, and said as long as any additional water drains out through the weeps and not over the lip of the trough and into the house there's no problem (in layman's terms, he doesn't believe the builder needs to correct this issue). Obviously, I disagree. Standing water in and around any portion of an individual's home can't be good. Although this hasn't yet to occur, one reason I can think this could be a problem is if the water freezes; hence, expanding the trough and not sealing my windows correctly. Does anyone agree this could be a future problem? Can anyone think of any additional problems I may encounter in the future? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in Advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gregg View Post
    Just recently a certified home inspector I hired found a few issues with my, less-than-a-year-old home. One of the problems contended with two of my vinyl window troughs, elbowed if you will, between the two weeps in each. The end result was a good amount of standing water, at least 1/8th of inch or better just sitting there between the two weeps of each window. Because the windows are of the same dimensions, the inspector believed it (the problem) was perhaps some kind of manufacturing-defect. Anyway, a week later I showed my home builder's representative who is responsible for getting all identified problems fixed; however, he stated he has seen this before and it's perfectly normal (as if to say, we--the builder--won't fix this). He justified this by pouring more water into the trough and watching the water pour out the weeps. He said any water remaining and standing in the trough is just fine. Of course I agree with my home inspector but didn't have any strong argument(s). Any ideas out there as to what to say to my home builder's rep. as to why this should be fixed/corrected other than it's the opinion of my certified home builder this is a flaw? Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance!
    over 90% of new or rehab window installs in my market get written up for multiple reasons

many times the framing opening is too tight and the installers will force the units in
    the sill portion will bow down in the middle

Phase Inspections are a must because the builders & muni inspectors aren't doing right by consumers

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good