Carl Eisen Guest

Default Sidewall Vent Termination

Is there any specification on the seperation needed between the intake and exhaust vents for a Rheem condensing gas furnace? I have the pictured termination that I thought should have more seperation and I have been unable to find information on this.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Sidewall Vent Termination

That's probably ok. After all, there are intake/exhaust devices where the two are integrated into one.
    Google Image Result for http://www.myhvacparts.com/Catalogue/Accessories/Bayvent200B.jpg

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Michael Greenwalt Guest

Actually you, or the owner, should check the installation manual. Most commonly a 12 inch clearance from the vent and roof, vent and ground, and a 12 inch separation between vent and intake are required. If they went to a concentric horizontal vent termination kit they could use one hole and disregard the separation requirement. Best to check with the manufactures installation manual to determine actual clearances.

The specifications will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Distances from intake to exhaust can be up to four feet. There are also specs on clearances to inside corners or other surfaces. You can't rely on a single source for this, in particular, any code reference.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Carl Eisen Guest

I did do some research on this prior to posting my question. Rheem's online material had the information on the location of the vents as it pertains to corners, windows and the like, but from what I could tell did not have any specifications on the seperation of the intake and exhaust. It may have been in fine print somewhere in that case I missed it. A typical termination in my area is one that has the intake with a 90 facing down and the exhaust turned up with 12" riser on it and then an outward facing 90.