Default How many outlet can you have on the same GFI ?

Hello Everyone,

We're selling our house and the inspector came out and had found " GFCI circuit has to many outlets on one breaker and should have a licensed electrician fix "

I would like to know per OR code how many outlets can be on one breaker along with the GFCI circuit ? Our house was built in 1974, and we found 2 GFCI on the house, one in the kitchen and one in the lower bathroom.

And so, could any one please post the OR code ?

Thank You so much for all your help,

Rose

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: How many outlet can you have on the same GFI ?

There is no code mandated maximum number of receptacles. The code does specify for certain circuits to serve only certain areas of the house, but you house pre-dates many of those requirements.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

I would ask for some clarification. That is a pretty vague statement. Ask how many there were, and how many are allowed, and where the circuits were in the house. He may be referring to the bath circuits protecting the outside or garage receptacles, which was common in the mid 70's.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Nguyen View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    We're selling our house and the inspector came out and had found " GFCI circuit has to many outlets on one breaker and should have a licensed electrician fix "
    I would like to know per OR code how many outlets can be on one breaker along with the GFCI circuit ? Our house was built in 1974, and we found 2 GFCI on the house, one in the kitchen and one in the lower bathroom.
    Rose
    Hi Rose,

For current construction, two GFCI circuits are required for receptacle outlets that serve the kitchen counters. That is per the National Electric Code and is probably the model code for Oregon. However, I don't know what the code was in 1974 for Oregon.

I am with Jim. Contact the inspector and get the exact code section that he wants you to be held to.

If you are looking for specific code and how it would be enforced, best bet is to contact the local building department and tell them what you just told us.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Bill Chinook Guest

GFCI were required for new construction starting 1985 in the state of Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Chinook View Post
    In what locations?

That makes all the difference.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

And once again, the OP is gone. I think they shotgun questions to multiple groups, and then vaporize once they get an answer.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    And once again, the OP is gone. I think they shotgun questions to multiple groups, and then vaporize once they get an answer.
    Looking for a long term relationship,eah ?? Take at least the question was coherent.

Though they could have gone locally to find the answer on OR codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Chinook View Post
    The PO specifically mentioned 1974 for the contruction date and "outlets" on a GFCI. In 1985 for a GFCI starting date indicates that OR State did not require GFCI's before then, but local AHJ's might have required them in 1974. The State adoption of NEC requirements in 1974 is the main question for what a home inspector must be knowledgable and at the same time know the local codes that skirt State codes.
    As an example, in 1974 the NEC 210.8 required bathroom(s) receptacles as GFCI protected. At that time only GFCI breakers existed for 15A and 20Amp branch circuit protection.

A quantity of series/parallel strung receptacles after the GFCI breaker for the bathroom branch circuit was needed to all the bathroom receptacles in a residence and in 1975 added a GFCI bc to outside receptacles on the front and back of the house. So in the case of the OP getting an answer for quantity of "outlets" on a GFCI circuit depends on whether the later addition of a GFCI was done under a legal permit or bootlegged. A violation requires a correction by a legitimate permit compliance to the existing code construction date if required in 1974, and too many outlets after the GFCI is a point of violation if other "receptacle" quantities are elsewhere beyond the required locations given in the 1974 code. (I.e. One receptacle for each bathroom paralleled in the house on only one GFCI branch circuit...5 bathrooms= 5 receptacles minimum complies. Note that if a bathroom bc hooks up to the receptacle and includes "lighting outlets" in that bathroom, then another bc must be used separartely if another bathroom exists. ) Re: ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION DWELLING ADVANCED WIRING METHODS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    There is no code mandated maximum number of receptacles. The code does specify for certain circuits to serve only certain areas of the house, but you house pre-dates many of those requirements.
    Note the OP used "outlets"....not maximum receptacles. (See my reply to Chinook.)

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Looking for a long term relationship,eah ?? Take at least the question was coherent.

Though they could have gone locally to find the answer on OR codes.
    I like your answer for local AHJ ruling the best, except I don't think Rose will ever know.

Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

Hello Everyone,

Rose

I don't know OR Code, folks, but one reason for the red tag could be a "maximum 12 outlets per branch circuit" rule such as is enforced in Montgomery County, MD. GFCI or no GFCI!

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Everyone,

Rose

I don't know OR Code, folks, but one reason for the red tag could be a "maximum 12 outlets per branch circuit" rule such as is enforced in Montgomery County, MD. GFCI or no GFCI!

Quote Originally Posted by david shapiro View Post
    I don't know OR Code, folks, but one reason for the red tag could be a "maximum 12 outlets per branch circuit" rule such as is enforced in Montgomery County, MD. GFCI or no GFCI!!
    Interesting that they are approaching this like the CEC. Probably because we all know that the number of outlets determines the load.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Jacks View Post
    ... NEC requirements in 1974 is the main question for what a home inspector must be knowledgable and at the same time know the local codes that skirt State codes.
    As an example, in 1974 the NEC 210.8 required bathroom(s) receptacles as GFCI protected. At that time only GFCI breakers existed for 15A and 20Amp branch circuit protection.
    Ben,

You may want to update some of your NEC dates using this: http://jerrypeck.com/IFCN/Other%20It..._page-2014.pdf

And, while you are at it, this too: http://jerrypeck.com/IFCN/Other%20It..._page-2014.pdf

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Interesting that they are approaching this like the CEC. Probably because we all know that the number of outlets determines the load.
    Probably because they were applying the number of outlets times the load as stated for commercial installations.

Miami-Dade and Broward counties did the same thing in the South Florida Building Code prior to Florida going to the Florida Building Code based on the Standard Building Code (2001 Florida Building Code) and then the ICC codes (2004 Florida building codes and later editions).

As I recall, it was: 180 VA / 120 volts = 1.5 amps per outlet, where 20 amps / 1.5 amps = 13.333 outlets, and being as "duplex" outlets are "two outlets", then only six duplex outlets could be installed on a 20 amp breaker.

Yes, a single receptacle could be added to make it 13 outlets, but how many single general use receptacles do you find?

So, be default, the number everyone thought of was "12 outlets" ... until questioned and explained to them that it could really be "13 outlets" using those numbers.

Of course, though, that also meant that a 15 amp circuit was limited to: 15 amps / 1.5 amps - 10 outlets (or five duplex receptacles on a 15 amp circuit).

The result was more circuits and fewer issues with overloading circuits, but ... that was not an NEC requirements, it was a South Florida Building Code requirement brought about by bringing the commercial requirements into play for dwelling units.

The real answer to how many outlets can you have on a 15 amps circuit, for dwelling units, is "How many do you want?" There is no limit in the NEC as the NEC recognizes that few will be used at any given time, and, that no matter how many outlets one has on a 15 amp circuit, the 15 amp circuit breaker will not trip with 15 amps on it ... theoretically it would never trip at 15 amps, and the circuit, properly installed and properly derated (that is what most electricians and inspectors miss - derating) ... the conductors should easily handle that 15 amp load. How long will it take to trip a 15 amp breaker on an overload? Depends on the amperage of the overload - the higher the current, the quicker the breaker is supposed to trip.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Note the OP used "outlets"....not maximum receptacles. (See my reply to Chinook.)
    Based on the original wording by the OP, I doubt that they know the difference.

Since lighting is rarely required to be gfi protected the question seems to be aimed at the number of receptacles. But it looks like we we never know any outcome or update from the OP.

- - - Updated - - -

Based on the original wording by the OP, I doubt that they know the difference.

Since lighting is rarely required to be gfi protected the question seems to be aimed at the number of receptacles. But it looks like we we never know any outcome or update from the OP.

Jerry, I understand where it was coming from, however I was pointing out that there is no correlation between the two.

The commercial limitations are not in synch with typical usages given that even small pc's have 300 watt power supplies, a screen and possibly a printer.

Jerry, I understand where it was coming from, however I was pointing out that there is no correlation between the two.
    I understand, basically, I was bringing everyone up on where the limitation for the number of receptacles/outlets likely came from.

As you and I both said - not relevant per NEC to dwellings.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Ben,

You may want to update some of your NEC dates using this: http://jerrypeck.com/IFCN/Other%20It..._page-2014.pdf

And, while you are at it, this too: http://jerrypeck.com/IFCN/Other%20It..._page-2014.pdf
    Hi Jerry,
    You are a busy person. Thanks for the charts, but I have additional data that would confuse Rose.

Hi Jim,
    The 2014 cycle practically set the precidence for most all 15A, 20A bc's for dwellings to require both AFCI and GFCI protection with few exceptions, hence using Dual Function technology without pigtails is the most economical way to go. Refer to Schneider Electric cut sheets for DF details to save $$$ if you are contracting.