Default Vents in Condo attic?

I came across these vents during a recent inspection. Can anyone identify what they are for?
    The HVAC system for the unit is located at the opposite end of the attic. They are located on a shared wall.
    aIMG_4270.JPGaIMG_4269.JPG

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Vents in Condo attic?

My clairvoyant guru tells me those are range hood vents from two apartments down below.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

If so they are not in use. Very clean and free of any greasy film.
    The kitchen in the unit on my side is located on the other side of the ridge with the Living room below.

They might be combustion air intakes for gas appliances located in closets within the structure. I've seen what you picture for exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    They might be combustion air intakes for gas appliances located in closets within the structure. I've seen what you picture for exactly that.
    For condo or apartment buildings, those should be in rated shafts (how many floors do they penetrate?) and exit through the roof, not into the attic.

With condo buildings and apartment buildings (which are addressed the same way under the code), each building is "one" building and therefore is treated differently than townhouses as each townhouse is its own buildings - a 4-unit townhouse structure is really 4 separate, but attached, structures/buildings/dwellings; whereas a 4-unit condo/apartment structure is one single structure/building with 4 separate dwelling units in it.

Fireblocking is required at all ceiling levels and floor levels, rated chases are used to separate the chases for ducts from the other parts of the buildings (to keep a fire in a chase in the chase, and to keep a fire in a unit out of the chase where it could spread to other units).

Having those open to the attic is a sure-fire way (pun intended) to get a fire from a unit up into the attic so the entire structure can burn down.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A little more investigation is required to ID the intended purpose... fresh air for combustion? bath or kitchen vents improperly terminated? Either way - you're staring at a significant fire code violation where there is even more stringent care in multi-story multi-family use. Find out where they go... get a consult from the Fire Marshal.. but don't give it a pass.