Dave Rose Guest

Default Anyone know what this is?

Inspected a house today, built in 1989...4,200 sq ft. First let me give a bit of background....

When inspecting the exterior wood siding, there was an inside corner that had some rot. Above was a clogged gutter and improperly done kickout flashing, so I got that written up. Under the corner, in the basement, was rotted subflooring...about 5-10 square feet of rotted area. The area in the basement where I was able to view all this was the furnace room in the basement. Just about 2' left of the rotted area, and under a stairwell, I saw this thing. I've never seen one before but it looks like someone installed some sort of drain. the house did have a sump pit with perimeter drain just about 4 feet from where I saw this. When I looked down in there, I couldn't really see much...but it looks like it went down at least 8"....it was dark down there...very small opening. As you can see, they also put a thin piece of sheet metal on the wall and caulked it to the concrete foundation wall.

I can't help but wonder if they had leakage into the basement and installed this to somehow drain the water to the perimeter drain.

Thoughts?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Anyone know what this is?

basement drainage system, google it

Dave Rose Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    basement drainage system, google it
    I've seen many basement drainage systems, but nothing like this...it was only installed as far as I can tell in that one small area. Any idea of a brand name?

Dave Rose Guest

Looks like it might be a Waterguard system...but I don't see how installing it in one small area is going to help much...I guess they connected it over to the sump pump and it was done in that one area only to address the leakage along that wall...which may have been chronic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WopBvPIVw14

I've seen it before. Poured concrete shrinkage crack was seeping water. This is a type of repair some waterproofing companies use. They'll seal the crack from inside and out, then break open floor, add mirror drain to allow any possible future drainage into the gravel under slab.