Thread: Main disconect

Default Main disconect

Not sure about a main disconnect on this panel. Could not gain access to the box under the meter, over the panel. It appears there is some kind of key to open it, or is that a disconnect?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Main disconect

I believe the main disconnect is the 60a breaker on the right, 2nd down from top. Is this a split bus? Right side at top is a 50a.

Do you have a photo from a little farther back showing the entire area?

If the service entrance comes in from what appears to be the SE cable on the left, into the black junction box, and (presumably) goes up into the meter, then (presumably) comes back down from the meter from the meter through that same black junction box ... it would be very easy to tap off the service entrance before the meter and steal power from the power company ... which may just be why the power company installed that lock on the meter - so only they with their key have access to it ... just my suspicions ...

IF ... IF ... the red (neutral/grounded conductor) and the two greyish (hot/ungrounded conductors) are feeding the panel from the meter above - the breaker Russell pointed out does look like its feeder conductors (coming off that breaker) do go back up and down in behind the panel, which could mean that it is a split bus panel ... but the panel circuit directory does not indicate that (nor does the panel look like a split bus panel) ... which brings up the question as to where those conductors do go?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

I have no other pictures. You are right about the SE cable on the left.

It does look like a split buss panel. Without seeing the panel diagram I cannot say for sure, but likely that the top four slots on each side would be main disconnects (typically used for three 240-volt circuits and one 240-volt main for the other circuits below).

Besides using red (instead of white) for the neutral/grounded conductor, when I zoom in 500% on the photo showing the meter/black box/panel, I see the conductors exposed between the black box and the panel (no nipple, no cable, no conduit - just exposed conductors and the red is the most clearly visible one).

Looks like neutrals and grounds in the same terminal too, possibly even more than one neutral together in the same terminal (not sure because the resolution loses to much when zoomed in that much).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com