Thread: Stucco Problems

Default Stucco Problems

Hello:

I inspected a 2002 built home with what was thought to be a hardcoat stucco exterior with architectural EPS foam trim pieces like window sills and an exterior baseboard trim piece around the entire home - but I am not 100% sure. What seems confusing is the foundation level image with double foam thickness which may indicate an EIFS with the EPS baseboard trim applied on top? Also observed was baseboard trim separating from the side of house, exposed EPS foam ends and rust bleeding through various wall surfaces and some minor wall cracking. Questions include: Do hairline cracks normally occur on EIFS walls, are exposed EPS foam ends acceptable, what would cause the separation and what would cause the rust bleeding through. Thanks!

Kevin Minto
    Northern California
    www.SignetHomeInspections.com

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Kevin Minto; 09-04-2015 at 09:32 AM.
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Stucco Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Minto View Post
    Hello:
    Inspected a 2002 built home yesterday with a stucco exterior. Not absolutely sure, but I initially thought it had a hardcoat stucco finish with architectural EPS foam trim pieces like window sills and an exterior baseboard trim piece around the entire home. What seems confusing is the foundation level image with double foam thickness which may indicate an EIFS with the baseboard trim applied on top? Also observed was baseboard trim separating from the side of house, exposed EPS foam ends and rust bleeding through various wall surfaces and some minor wall cracking.
    Questions include: Do hairline cracks occur on EIFS stucco walls
    What do you mean by EIFS stucco walls?

, are exposed EPS foam ends acceptable
    They should be sealed.

, what would cause the separation
    various possibilities. Compression, expansion, impact, installation flaws, etc

and what would cause the rust bleeding through. Thanks!
    Moisture. Could also be effected by improper or failed material.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Steven hit the highlights…. I would have just said it is messed up!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    What do you mean by EIFS stucco walls?

They should be sealed.

various possibilities. Compression, expansion, impact, installation flaws, etc

Moisture. Could also be effected by improper or failed material.
    Referring to Exterior Insulation Finishing System (EIFS) as opposed to a hardcoat stucco which can sometimes be difficult to differentiate between especially when a hardcoat is used in conjunction with an architectural baseboard trim as shown in several images.

What materials are you referring to?

Did a crappy job applying the foam trim.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EqY8UJ9R9E

Hello:

I inspected a 2002 built home with what was thought to be a hardcoat stucco exterior with architectural EPS foam trim pieces like window sills and an exterior baseboard trim piece around the entire home - but I am not 100% sure. What seems confusing is the foundation level image with double foam thickness which may indicate an EIFS with the EPS baseboard trim applied on top? Also observed was baseboard trim separating from the side of house, exposed EPS foam ends and rust bleeding through various wall surfaces and some minor wall cracking. Questions include: Do hairline cracks normally occur on EIFS walls, are exposed EPS foam ends acceptable, what would cause the separation and what would cause the rust bleeding through. Thanks!

Kevin Minto
    Northern California
    d - - -

[QUOTE=Marc M;260060]Did a crappy job applying the foam trim.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EqY8UJ9R9E

Funny thing Marc, I was actually watching that video when I received your message. Definitely spot on and I have emailed Kirk Giordano to see if he is available. Thanks!

Referring to Exterior Insulation Finishing System (EIFS) as opposed to a hardcoat stucco which can sometimes be difficult to differentiate between especially when a hardcoat is used in conjunction with an architectural baseboard trim as shown in several images.

What materials are you referring to?
    I believe the wisest thing you should do is have an experienced Building Envelope Inspector/Moisture Analyst inspect your clients building. Such an inspector will be able to differentiate between masonry stucco, EIFS, etc. They will test the building and confirm the conditions.

This is not a job for an installer.

The materials I was referring to at the corner was nails, corner bead(s), etc.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

I believe the wisest thing you should do is have an experienced Building Envelope Inspector/Moisture Analyst inspect your clients building. Such an inspector will be able to differentiate between masonry stucco, EIFS, etc. They will test the building and confirm the conditions.

I agree completely.

Mark Parlee
    WWW.theBuildingConsultant.com
    EDI instructor, EIFS AMSV

The materials I was referring to at the corner was nails, corner bead(s), etc.
    Thanks Guys, I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond!

Kevin Minto
    Signet Home Inspections, LLC

Looks like a real crappy stucco job-report what you see, and describe it as siding failure/defects, likely due to substandard workmanship/materials/methods and recommend evaluation and estimates of remedies by a stucco expert.

JP