Old Country Guest

Default Shopping around for new reporting software

Currently using InspectIt, which I purchased outright. Big mistake!
    The first day I used it on the field it kept freezing up. Customer service is atrocious— some girl kept refusing to put me through to the technical department. Eventually I found a techie and he admitted they were having some huge problems. New version came out (still not impressed), then same girl called me to ask for a monthly fee. I refused, since I already owned the software and then she said that unless I dish out $9.99 a month, I won't have access to the tech support team. Needless to say, I cannot wait to find a better software.

Someone recently has recommended me 3d home inspection software and I was wondering if anyone here has used it and what's their verdict?

It would be so nice to have a comparison point between various inspection software and get home inspectors to vote.

Many thanks,

Gia
    Old Country Home Inspections

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Shopping around for new reporting software

I can relate to your frustration. I lived with the lack of any kind of support from Inspectvue for way too long.
    I'm sure you will get lots of opinions on what works best for the inspectors on this forum. I switched to Spectacular for a variety of reasons, the most important was Aaron's ability to transfer my library from Inspectvue close to 90%+. Other software tried but could not even come close.
    The support from Spectacular is, well, SPECTACULAR!

But, you may not want to use an i-Pad, or you may not like the format.

The other part of your complaint about the $9.99 per month seems to me to be a little short sighted. True, you may have paid for the software, but I think its unrealistic to expect forever technical support without paying for it. Software developers make their living by developing, and improving software. If you expect updates and improvements to the software, you should be prepared to pay for it.

Try Home Inspector Pro.
    Dom has a free trial download that will give you a good idea of the product. Lots of different ways to use it and pay for it. I've been using it for a few years now and they just upgraded it and made it even better.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

We are in the process of switching TO InspectIt, and I'm kind of surprised to read your post. I've found their tech support to be fantastic and very responsive; they've gone to great lengths to solve issues I've had. I'm still putting the final touches on the customization process and will start testing it in the field in the next week or so, but so far I'm very happy with how it works. I'm using it on my iPad 3, which isn't the latest and fastest, but it's working fine and I haven't had any serious crashing issues.

I have no issue at all paying for tech support (so far they haven't asked us to), since using this software will be a critical part of our business and I need to make sure I can get help when I need it. Ten bucks a month means I'm paying the average cost of one inspection every three years, which is more than worth it.

Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

I have used HIP for years now and love it.

www.1stproinspection.com

Certified Master Inspector
    Like Us On Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/1stproinspection/

I used to use Home inspection Pro. I switched to Spectacular. I spend less time on reports now. I can't comment on the tech support....I haven't had any issues. Extremely happy.

Certified CREIA Inspector
    Certified NSPF Pool & Spa Inspector
    Level I Thermographer

Quote Originally Posted by Welmoed Sisson View Post
    We are in the process of switching TO InspectIt, and I'm kind of surprised to read your post. I've found their tech support to be fantastic and very responsive; they've gone to great lengths to solve issues I've had. I'm still putting the final touches on the customization process and will start testing it in the field in the next week or so, but so far I'm very happy with how it works. I'm using it on my iPad 3, which isn't the latest and fastest, but it's working fine and I haven't had any serious crashing issues.

I have no issue at all paying for tech support (so far they haven't asked us to), since using this software will be a critical part of our business and I need to make sure I can get help when I need it. Ten bucks a month means I'm paying the average cost of one inspection every three years, which is more than worth it.

Hey Welmoed,

I thought you switched to InspectIt 4 months ago. In May, you wrote...

Quote Originally Posted by Welmoed Sisson View Post
    After several years of researching all the available options, and even starting the process of coding our own software, we finally found the program for us: InspectIt. No internet connection necessary; can generate reports on-site; no monthly fees or subscription or per-report charges. We are still working on getting the comment library populated and the template tweaked, but plan to implement it in about two months.
    It should only take a couple of weeks to switch software. Some motivated inspectors switch in a weekend even. Given 4 months, I can't imagine the switch is going smoothly... I hope they're not making you enter all your existing narratives to InspectIt one by one...

Hey Gia,

If you paid $900 for InspectIt, it gets even more expensive going to 3D at $1100... I hope you look into Spectacular at $575...

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Johnson View Post
    It should only take a couple of weeks to switch software. Some motivated inspectors switch in a weekend even. Given 4 months, I can't imagine the switch is going smoothly... I hope they're not making you enter all your existing narratives to InspectIt one by one...
    We weren't switching from another software package; we were switching from our original paper-based system. Therefore, no library to migrate. Yes, I'm having to create it all from scratch. This is our first foray into computerized reports. That's why it's taking so long. I also have other work to do, like inspections and pesky things like eating and sleeping that eat into my available time.

Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

Give spactacular a shot...it is very intuitive and comes with more features that you can shake a stick at..

I've been with 3D since I started out. Minus a few hiccups here and there, I've been very pleased with the software. Most times it was an outage beyond their control.

No inspection report software is good to go out of the box. All have to be modified, tweaked, etc. to meet the specific needs of the individual user. The feedback I consistently get from inspectors who subscribe to my consulting services about HomeGauge is positive. They tell me that HomeGauge offers multiple formats any one of which can be modified/tailored to an inspector's requirements and that their staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and, most importantly, available to help them.

I periodically review their reports and find them to meet or exceed requirements and expectations.

No, I'm not affiliated with HomeGauge in any way. I simply give kudos where I feel that they're deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Country View Post
    The first day I used it on the field it kept freezing up. Customer service is atrocious— some girl kept refusing to put me through to the technical department. Eventually I found a techie and he admitted they were having some huge problems. New version came out (still not impressed), then same girl called me to ask for a monthly fee. I refused, since I already owned the software and then she said that unless I dish out $9.99 a month, I won't have access to the tech support team. Needless to say, I cannot wait to find a better software.

Someone recently has recommended me 3d home inspection software and I was wondering if anyone here has used it and what's their verdict?

It would be so nice to have a comparison point between various inspection software and get home inspectors to vote.

Many thanks,

Gia
    Home Inspector Pro all the way.

Best mobile and works with all platforms.
    HIP is known for having the best tech support in the industry and Dom has helped so many Inspectors with websites and SEO it is ridiculous.

See Dom in Vegas at the big convention this weekend and he will set you up.

Chicagopropertyinspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Old Country View Post

Many thanks,

Gia
    Hi Gia,

Our 12 inspector company uses HomeGauge and we have for 10 years or so. You can go to our website and see some sample reports. It's best to not only get inspector's opinions on which software to use but to look at the reports themselves. HomeGauge is very adaptable and can look quite different depending on what tweaks the inspector has done to his/her template.

Dan Cullen
    www.domicileconsulting.com
    Chicago IL