Rick Maday Guest

Default Venting questions

The single wall vent pipe from the WH to furnace was about 5.5 ft off floor and may present a burn danger. It is right next to the washer/dryer and I nearly bumped my head on it (164 degrees from my IR therm) I could see someone easily touching it and getting a severe burn - is there a specifc code reference for that?

Also I am not thrilled with the Tee (backdraft to WH), but I cannot find anything to not alllow it.

And finally, plastic duct for return air?

Comments?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Venting questions

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Maday View Post

And finally, plastic duct for return air?

Comments?
    Rick,

I sure hope JP don't see that.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Rick Maday Guest

I don't install it, I just report it!

My main question is abouty the hot vent pipe being in an area where someone can - almost did (me) - and probably will get burned. It's going in as a safety issue, but I was looking for some specific reference if available.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Maday View Post
    My main question is abouty the hot vent pipe being in an area where someone can - almost did (me) - and probably will get burned. It's going in as a safety issue, but I was looking for some specific reference if available.
    Rick,

If you feel it's a safety issue you do not need any specific reference.Common sense will do.

Picture1: Does not appear proper up slope of 1/4 inch per foot.

If this single wall vent goes through the attic it is prohibited.

Picture 2: Plastic Duct is not Rated as Supply Air Duct.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 11-20-2007 at 07:48 PM. Reason: 2 added
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Picture 2: Plastic Duct is not Rated as Supply Air Duct.
    That stuff is not really rated for any use, but they can make it and sell it, in fact you are even allowed to buy it ... just not allowed to use it for any known use I can think of.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Just to be obnoxious, I would point out that some humidifier manufacturers specify the use of flexible duct, and this one's instructions clearly illustrate a plastic, not metal type.

► Desert Spring Furnace Humidifier

Rick Maday Guest

bold is mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    ..., and this one's instructions clearly illustrate a plastic, not metal type.

► Desert Spring Furnace Humidifier
    I don't see that they clearly illustrate plastic, and they certainly don't specify plastic in the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    humidifier manufacturers specify the use of flexible duct, and this one's instructions clearly illustrate a plastic,
    Michael,

The flex duct is included in the kit and not the $1.99 Plastic kind.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 11-21-2007 at 08:18 AM. Reason: and

Thanks for hunting that down. Can't tell exactly what that material is but you are correct - it does not appear to by the cheesy white plastic duct.

In Michael's defense that flexible duct was likely drawn on a "white" page, so the flexible duct "looked" "white".

The flexible duct in Billy's post looked to be that "UL Listed" mylar foil type. Still do not know "to what" it is "UL Listed" to, but, something to consider is that most of those slinkies are made for 'positive' pressure and when being used for 'return' it would be under negative pressure, which might delaminate the flexible material and pull it off its slinky coil.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Vent Picture came from Rick M's link posted above page 10 Parts List (Tech Support)