Default Joe Homeowner vs. China

After all these years, I sure would hate to be one of the thousands that essentially would have to sue the Chinese government. Good luck with that!

http://www.jlconline.com/coastal-con...0815%20(1)&he=

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

kristin morgan Guest

Default Re: Joe Homeowner vs. China

I just caught this post. Did anyone except me read the article? I also downloaded the pdf in the article, "Extraterritoriality of Chinese Firms" which states, that the Chinese companies only legal adherence is to the Hague Conventions (ha! as if Joe schmo is going to Hague court- Not!) even if- China says, that the Hague Conventions "do not apply". Um- someone tell me exactly why we are doing biz with China on this scale again..?

From article "Chinese Company Continues to Encircle The World" (which see, just google for it)
    *a declassified report by the U.S. Southern Command's Joint
    Intelligence Center* mind you, report exposed in '99, but things have gotten worse, to reach into this vast Chinese conspiracy (it is, the epitome of the word) look at China and FTZ's in your state.
    "The military intelligence report also warns that "Hutchison containerized
    shipping facilities in the Panama Canal, as well as the Bahamas, could provide
    a conduit for illegal shipments of technology or prohibited items from the West
    to the PRC, or facilitate the movement of arms and other prohibited items into
    the Americas."
    It's not just the Bahamas, its inside USA too, we HAVE ports inland. They are called FTZ's.

I was doing some casual research on China businesses and Detroit, and this forum thread title captured my eyes, I continue to be baffled with whatever is going on with Chinese companies, Free Trade Zones, shipping, customs exempted from inspections- now this- homeowners and contractors that have zero recourse for shoddy - even dangerous, product.
    Apologies if this sounds like an infowars or WND comment- its not meant to be, but personally I think we should pay attention to the quality of Chinese goods coming in, and know that there is nothing legally we can do about it. I am imagining extension ladders, electronic components, safety gear, all made in China, with practically useless "guarantees" or performance in use.

Quote Originally Posted by kristin morgan View Post
    I just caught this post. Did anyone except me read the article?
    Yep.

Um- someone tell me exactly why we are doing biz with China on this scale again..?
    When is the last time you went to Walmart because you could get it for less?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    ....When is the last time you went to Walmart because you could get it for less?
    Warranties, Guarantees and the ability to obtain redress for non US made products has been a real problem for decades. Children toys painted with lead and toxic chemicals in other products coming from China make news and then disappear. Everyone wants the cheap price and have no concern what sweat shop it was made in or who oversees the construction. From Martha Stewart to Nike all doing business with companies using virtual slave labor in a toxic waste dump the public ignores that and seem to focus on saving 10 or 15% on an item.

The real problem is that our US elected officials have ties and allegiances to China and the companies that produce products. If the US Goverment stood up and acted like real men and went after China and other governments that dump products and people into the US with impunity Chinese Drywall would not be an issue or at least significantly less.

Not until the US Goverment realizes that their collective jobs are at risk will they stop the the collective "hand ringing" defense of their inability to deal with China, Mexico and other countries. Then also add that the US populous has to realize that security does not come without a cost.

Kristin, go to your closet, kitchen and car and look at the labels and tell us what you see. I think part of your answer will be found.

Why are we doing business with countries whose practices and policies adversely affect our economy? As the character "Deep Throat" advises in the movie "All the President's Men", "follow the money". The Latin phrase "cui bono" (who benefits) applies. The incestuous relationships between multinational business and politics have resulted in a corporate culture which recognizes no ethics and is only loyal to only one thing - money.

Consumers need to stop buying products made in China.

As to slave labour - what happens to the so called slaves who have no other options for employment? In third world countries large families are their wealth.