Default Exposed vent conductor - too much exposure?

I just inspected a home that was removed ten years ago... gas fired direct vent water. The vent conductor on the exterior runs up the outside wall for roughly 12 feet. I've never seen this. It would seem that the pipe would be prone to freezing up (cold climate here) but it appears to have been in use for 10 years. The house was a 'high end' renovation.
    I could just tell him to have a heating contractor look at, but given time constraints I'd like to get him some type of answer before I finish the report. At worse case, the pipe may just need to be shortened and possibly redirected.
    Anyone with an answer on this?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Exposed vent conductor - too much exposure?

I would report it as excessively long. It should just be above the snowline, and the height of that pipe sends a scary message to your client, eh?.

It occurs to me that is an amateur installation and should be checked out by a professional, such as clearances, gas fittings, etc.

Last edited by John Kogel; 09-13-2015 at 08:22 AM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I think you need to start with the basics; find the mechanical equipment manufacture's installation requirements/specifications and compare the results.

If they (manufacture) point to the use of using other Standards when installing the venting system (ANSI Z21 or National Fuel Gas Code or whatever) then follow the specs listed (type of material, total run, termination type/location, etc.) and compare with the data collected from the site.

Otherwise you're just guessing.

Dom.

Bill Chinook Guest

I imagine they ran it that far up the side of the house to meet clearance requirements for the window. They could have at least painted the pipe to improve aesthetics, though.

And they should check to see if a permit was pulled and signed off.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.