Default Lightning arrestor connected to Main Terminals

The main panel had a lightning arrestor (or arrester - seems there is no consensus) installed. The two conductors for it were installed in the terminals of the service disconnect, along with the service conductors. My first reaction was that, "Whoa, you cannot double-tap there". Then I thought well, maybe it offers the best protection right there. Then I thought it still seems to violate the basic principle that when the service disconnect is off, everything should be disconnected. Is it acceptable to connect this thing here?

On a side note - do these things actually work?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Lightning arrestor connected to Main Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Kautz View Post
    Is it acceptable to connect this thing here?

On a side note - do these things actually work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wood View Post
    Yes!
    The "Yes!" is to which?

"Is it acceptable to connect this thing here?"

NO!

"On a side note - do these things actually work?"

Sort of ... ONE TIME as that is all they are made for.

Has it already severed its purpose?

Hard to tell, some have red LED lights which are supposed to tell if it is still good or not. Others do not have lights, they just explode when hit (they are not intended to explode, it just happens), some swell up (and don't explode, that is what is intended), some simply don't work (and you don't know if they are good or not).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wood View Post
    Easy to get the wrong message as the US think different.
    Easy to get the wrong message when TWO questions are asked and the answer provided is simply ... "Yes!"

"Yes!" ... what?

Yes to the first question?

Yes to the second question?

Yes to what is on your mind?

Yes ... very easy to get the wrong message when the US likes to know what the answer is pertaining to ... I would THINK that US'NS (all "us'ns", which is similar to "yall", which is short for "y'all", which is short for "you all", or if you be from some parts it would be "youse" or "youse guys") 'cept that "us'ns" includes the speaker ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

[QUOTE=Jerry Peck;260616
    'cept that "us'ns" includes the speaker ... [/QUOTE]

That there would be "we'uns". "We-uns" is the group associated with the speaker and the speaker.

Y'all is the group associated with the person the speaker is talking to, but may include all the we'uns group but the speaker.

They'uns is a group separate from the speaker and his group and separate from the person the speaker is talking to and his group

Last edited by Bill Kriegh; 09-27-2015 at 04:35 PM.
    Occam's eraser: The philosophical principle that even the simplest solution is bound to have something wrong with it.

I put one on my system, recently. The directions specifically called for double lugging on the breakers (but not on the main) and explained that it was permitted for this use. The two electricians that I've discussed this with have installed similar devices the same way.

Hopefully, I never find out if it works (worked). I'm a little dubious, but my research says they do.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    I put one on my system, recently. The directions specifically called for double lugging on the breakers (but not on the main) and explained that it was permitted for this use. The two electricians that I've discussed this with have installed similar devices the same way.

Hopefully, I never find out if it works (worked). I'm a little dubious, but my research says they do.
    They do it that way because it is to much trouble and more expensive to do it correctly.

There is no code or listing exemption which allows doing that.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I just re-read the directions and I am correcting myself. The directions do not specify any kind of double lugging.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.