Thread: Scam - Beware

Default Scam - Beware

Beware guys.
    I just had an attempt to get me to front fees to the "seller" after I charged the "buyer" my fee plus some extra amount for my trouble.
    The person contacted me through an inspector referral site via email which is unusual for me since I rarely get calls or emails from the various "find and inspector" sites.
    The person only wanted to handle business via email since they were "hearing impaired"
    There was also no address for the property, only a vague description with details promised later.
    Then after the 2nd or third email they accepted my fee but needed to ask me a "favor" regarding the funds.
    The "Property Manager" was supposed to send me a key after they received funds from me....
    This began to stink about half way through the letter which was almost illegible due to poor grammar and wording.

My response was No.

All the marks of a scammer that wants to get funds from me after I accept a worthless payment or just to hide their tracks using stolen credit cards.

This was the original communication:
    A message has been sent to you via www.InspectorSeek.com – a InterNACHI owned website.The sender also checked the “I would like to book an inspection.” box.
    Hello am Cheryle,I am currently searching for a Home Inspector,I will like to know your service hours please get back to me as soon as possible.
    Sent by: “Cheryle Garland” <cheryle3r2@gmail.com>

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Jim Luttrall; 09-30-2015 at 02:07 PM.
    Inspection Referral
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Default Re: Scam - Beware

Peak Inspection Services | Over 34 Years of Contractor Experience!
    Residential Inspections | Commercial Inspections
    Office: 908-750-6789 | www.peakinspectionservices.com

Thanks for the heads up. Emails should never have an odor.

A few weeks ago, several HIs around here got calls from a guy wanting an inspection. He grilled them on their qualifications and more. Several HIs started smelling a rat and told him that they were busy or just to call someone else. However, it turns out that he was a real buyer who had read advisements on finding an inspector and a buddy of mine ended up doing his inspection.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Emails should never have an odor.

A few weeks ago, several HIs around here got calls from a guy wanting an inspection. He grilled them on their qualifications and more. Several HIs started smelling a rat and told him that they were busy or just to call someone else. However, it turns out that he was a real buyer who had read advisements on finding an inspector and a buddy of mine ended up doing his inspection.
    What is "advisements"?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    What is "advisements"?
    Those "helpful" articles that advise folks on how to pick the best service people. "How to find a Realtor" or Mechanic or Dog Groomer or Handy Man, etc.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Cool Re: Scam - Beware

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Beware guys.
    I just had an attempt to get me to front fees to the "seller" after I charged the "buyer" my fee plus some extra amount for my trouble.
    The person contacted me through an inspector referral site via email which is unusual for me since I rarely get calls or emails from the various "find and inspector" sites.
    The person only wanted to handle business via email since they were "hearing impaired"
    There was also no address for the property, only a vague description with details promised later.
    Then after the 2nd or third email they accepted my fee but needed to ask me a "favor" regarding the funds.
    The "Property Manager" was supposed to send me a key after they received funds from me....
    This began to stink about half way through the letter which was almost illegible due to poor grammar and wording.

My response was No.

All the marks of a scammer that wants to get funds from me after I accept a worthless payment or just to hide their tracks using stolen credit cards.

This was the original communication:

The same "person" just attempted this with me as well. Here is the last communication I received (today) and as I read it, it had all the markings of a scam.

Hello ,

Thanks for the quote. I am OK with the quote and i would have everything put in place for the inspection,first of all i will like you to know that the house if for sale by the owner and not by Realtor,I will like you to know the house is still occupied and it will be vacant next weekend,I want you to know that the caretaker will send you the key and you can go there for the inspection,i need you to send me your full name and office address and a valid phone number as requested by the caretaker he would need it to contact you to schedule the inspection and get the house keys to your office immediately they receive their balance,I will like to know what kind of credit cards you accept for payment so i can make the payment asap,I would have to seek a little favor from you and i would be happy if you can be able to grant me the favor i seek from you.Due to my present health condition,i would provide you my credit card details for you to charge for the total cost of the service and also i would like you to charge an extra sum of $ which would be used to balance up fees for the house,I am sorry if i am asking for too much but i would have forwarded the balance to him myself but i am held down with health issues right now and am still at the hospital and the seller stated he wants the balance by bank transfer that's why i am seeking your favor on this,i would be willing to compensate you if you can assist me on this.

Your urgent response would be appreciated.

Warm Regards

If someone else wants this "referral", I'd be happy to pass it on.

Just a variation of the Nigerian 419 scam that has been around since it was run by postal mail. I get them now by email, texts and other means. Clear flag is offering to pay some "extra" that you will then need to pass on to their "agent/shipper/whatever". You do and then it is discovered that the cashiers check or credit card is bogus but now you're out the money and feeling stupid.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Covey View Post
    The same "person" just attempted this with me as well. Here is the last communication I received (today) and as I read it, it had all the markings of a scam.
    Hello ,

Thanks for the quote. I am OK with the quote and i would have everything put in place for the inspection,first of all i will like you to know that the house if for sale by the owner and not by Realtor,I will like you to know the house is still occupied and it will be vacant next weekend,I want you to know that the caretaker will send you the key and you can go there for the inspection,i need you to send me your full name and office address and a valid phone number as requested by the caretaker he would need it to contact you to schedule the inspection and get the house keys to your office immediately they receive their balance,I will like to know what kind of credit cards you accept for payment so i can make the payment asap,I would have to seek a little favor from you and i would be happy if you can be able to grant me the favor i seek from you.Due to my present health condition,i would provide you my credit card details for you to charge for the total cost of the service and also i would like you to charge an extra sum of $ which would be used to balance up fees for the house,I am sorry if i am asking for too much but i would have forwarded the balance to him myself but i am held down with health issues right now and am still at the hospital and the seller stated he wants the balance by bank transfer that's why i am seeking your favor on this,i would be willing to compensate you if you can assist me on this.

Your urgent response would be appreciated.

Warm Regards

If someone else wants this "referral", I'd be happy to pass it on.
    Yes, this is the exact wording sent to me.
    SCAM ALERT

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Angry Re: Scam - Beware

I have this exact email word for word. I am in the San Antonio area, knew something smelt bad.

I have been subjected to the same scam.