Thread: Milestone

Default Milestone

I did inspection number 10,000 today. I've been in business for 26 years this month. Seems like only yesterday, I was charging $150 for an inspection. This number does not count partial inspections, re-inspections, or the apartment complex that hired me to inspect almost 400 decks.

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Milestone

Mostly just tired! I think of how many miles I must have crawled under homes over the years. Still learning!

cool

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

10,000 full inspections!

That shows commitment to your clients and success in their eyes.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Congratulations Jack!

I'm right behind you on that 10K mark by a few dozen, or so the hash marks on the wall say!

Isn't it amazing to look back at the first couple of thousand inspections and look back at what you did then and what you do now! I'm amazed I'm still in business at times when I realize just how much I did not know back then!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Congrats.....and sending you the best for many more!
    Cheers

Congratulations!

I remember when I hit the 1000 mark I thought I had seen just about everything. That was a long time ago and I seen a lot more new things since then. This year was my 30th and I passed 10,000 a while ago (I stopped counting).

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Congrats Jack.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Congratulations Jack...many more. Thank you for your help and expertise on this forum.

10K is definitely a milestone. You've been a very busy guy when you consider that in 26 years, you've averaged about 1.5 inspections per weekday (based on 250 working days per year). By comparison, I estimate that I've done about 1.2 inspections per weekday in my nearly 18 years. The changes in our industry are dramatic, yet we still basically do the same things. That's a lot of crawlspaces and attics and stories.......we should create a sitcom. Between all of us, we could provide enough stories to keep a series going for years.

This is a business that the learning never ends, but after seeing your posts here over the years, I can tell that you are a master inspector. So, congratulations, although, I'm not sure whether offering a salute or a stiff drink is most appropriate (or maybe both).

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Nice...now lets see 10K more youngster!

Congratulations. I'm not sure I'll be in business long enough to make it to 10,000. I did get to 2,000 this year. 10K is quite an achievement.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Ahh, so you're the $150 inspection guy I see on my google searches... LOL.. J/K.. Congrats Jack... I wish you 10,000 more...

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Johnson View Post
    Ahh, so you're the $150 inspection guy I see on my google searches... LOL.. J/K.. Congrats Jack... I wish you 10,000 more...
    That's funny Aaron! I used to charge $150, but that was in 1989. Now I'm a little higher.
    No way I'll get another 10K. I only plan to work 3 more years, and I'm slowing down my schedule now, to ease into retirement.

Lon, I have been blessed to be very busy almost all of my career. When I was in CA 6 days a week was the norm, some weeks I would do one on Sunday afternoon after church. It was crazy! Early in career in TN I "made hay when the sun was shining" and worked when I could, often 6 days.

That is an incredible accomplishment Jack. I hope you reward yourself by doing something you have always wanted to do, or going somewhere or buying something just for fun, that you really want.

I cant comprehend that amount of imspections. I have completed one unpaid inspection so far. I am 60 and just completed a well respected 10 course program. I will never have enough time in my life to reach the milestones in this business lthat you guys have
    But I might try to be the first and only 80 year old female HI ever working in my area, I know I will be the only 60 yr old female HI!

Belated Congrats to ya Jack! Wow!

- - - Updated - - -

That is an incredible accomplishment Jack. I hope you reward yourself by doing something you have always wanted to do, or going somewhere or buying something just for fun, that you really want.

I cant comprehend that amount of imspections. I have completed one unpaid inspection so far. I am 60 and just completed a well respected 10 course program. I will never have enough time in my life to reach the milestones in this business lthat you guys have
    But I might try to be the first and only 80 year old female HI ever working in my area, I know I will be the only 60 yr old female HI!

Belated Congrats to ya Jack! Wow!

Thanks Elizabeth! I forgot is was a year and a half ago. My reward is not working as much. I'll be 70 this year and want to enjoy myself while I still can. I'm taking more 4 day weekends, and small vacations in prime work season.

That said, I had a tough week last week with big houses. I inspected about 30,000 SF in 5 houses. The money is good, but wears me out.

Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Thanks Elizabeth! I forgot is was a year and a half ago. My reward is not working as much. I'll be 70 this year and want to enjoy myself while I still can. I'm taking more 4 day weekends, and small vacations in prime work season.

That said, I had a tough week last week with big houses. I inspected about 30,000 SF in 5 houses. The money is good, but wears me out.

Hang in there!
    I know, when you own and operate your own business, it is very hard to break the habit of accepting all or most of the jobs that come your way.

But, trust me, I know by first hand expierience that job burn-out can catch you unaware, blindside you out of the blue. You might think about mentoring a new inspector or offering training for a fee, or hiring someone who can take the load off you a bit?

Or learn to say no to to a few big jobs once in awhile, no matter how good the money is. Which is a hard thing to do. My advice only. Glad you are still doing great!

Hi Elizabeth
    I have had employees several times, and at this stage of my career, I'm not interested in bringing someone on again.
    I have probably mentored 50 inspectors over the years.
    I do in fact turn business away (refer them to guys in my ASHI Chapter). These all happened to be past clients. I try not to turn down past clients. In fact one of them has been a client since 1994 when I moved to TN. They just all had big houses, and had short inspection periods.