Default New Member from So Cal with an Inspection Conference question

Hello everybody,

First off, I am excited to be a part of this group. I hope to learn as much as I can from those much more experienced than I. Before I ask my question about the Inspection Conference in Las Vegas next week, I will give a little background about myself in case that helps better answer my question.

My name is Kevin and I live in Palm Springs, CA. After much research and debate I have decided to pursue Home Inspections as business. I currently work for a government contractor and handle inspections for utilities such as Edison and So Cal Gas involving many different programs. But mainly I inspect residential. I cover about 3 counties, all of Coachella Valley to Blythe in the East, all of Imperial County to Calexico in the South to 29 Palms and Barstow in the North and Riverside to the West and everything in between. I use to do energy audits testing in and out for Energy Upgrade California, been doing a combination of both for about 5 years. Without a strong background in construction or a related field I am currently searching for the right training to attend to help me build a solid foundation from which to build from.

So on to my question. I just recently read about the Inspection Conference in Las Vegas next week and was debating how beneficial it would be for me to attend? I am planning to hopefully take my training by the end of this year and then ease into Home Inspections in 2016 while still working my full time job and then by 2017 quit my job and focus on my business. I looked at the schedule of speakers and topics and found numerous ones that I thought would be very helpful. Having not actually started my business and not having started doing Home Inspections would going hinder me in any way? Or would there being a lot of technical aspects that I should wait to dive into later? I thought that having not started yet this would be a great introduction to the industry and possibly I could network as well. While also looking and talking to some of the vendors as well.

Any comments or suggestions in any way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for everybody's time.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Hello Kevin Carmin,

I'm Brian Hannigan and I am the creator of InspectionNews

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

As a "Thank You" for making your first post I have a gift for you. You can pick it up at:
    Send Your Free Card

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Thumbs up Re: New Member from So Cal with an Inspection Conference question

Hi Kevin,

I would say "YES" you really should go. It will be a great insight to the business you will be going into.

Not only is there the education/speakers but the education you get just by meeting other inspectors and the vendors.

You are a short drive from Vegas and I even have a free ticket for you if you would like to attend.

Let me know if you would like the ticket and I will get you the code.

I hope to see you there.

Brian

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: New Member from So Cal with an Inspection Conference question

I would go to the Vegas conference simply because it is close and Brian is giving you a free ticket. The cost is right!

The largest and most attended home inspectors conference will be in San Diego in January 2016. InspectionWorld will have over 40 individual educational sessions over 3 days and several days of pre conference specialized education and right at 100 exhibitors in the conference center. InspectionWorld | American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Scott,

Are you going to San Diego?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Brian,

First of all thank you for your generous offer, I would definitely like to take you up on it. I look forward to seeing you there as well.

Scott, the price is definitely right.