Default Tape Separator Between PT Lumber and Hangers

The corrosive properties of the current pressure-treating chemicals for lumber has been well established and most of us know the potential problems. I ran into something under a home that I am concerned about and thought I would run it past others.

I-Joists supported by hangers attached to a pressure-treated ledger. I did not identify the chemical used. The hangers were isolated from contact by "Grace Vycor Deck Protector", which is approved by Strong-Tie and seems to be working; no visible corrosion found. The nails were gun-driven (sorry, no photo). My concern is that the nails will be subject to corrosion because there is no way to isolate them from the lumber and any corrosion would be hidden.

So, my questions:

Are HDG nails available for nail guns?

Not entirely sure to whom I should defer. The manufacturer? A contractor for corrections?

Thanks.

http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/bulleti...ARRIER08-R.pdf

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Gunnar Alquist; 10-08-2015 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Add Pics
    OREP Insurance
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Default Re: Tape Separator Between PT Lumber and Hangers

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Yes. Used them all the time for treated lumber projects. They're available everywhere, Home Depot, Lowe's, local supply yards, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Not entirely sure to whom I should defer. The manufacturer? A contractor for corrections?
    I'd defer to a contractor to verify if the nails are HDG. The manufacturer is most likely just going tell you to ask the contractor who installed the hangers.

Peak Inspection Services | Over 34 Years of Contractor Experience!
    Residential Inspections | Commercial Inspections
    Office: 908-750-6789 | www.peakinspectionservices.com

[QUOTE=Gunnar Alquist;260968]The corrosive properties of the current pressure-treating chemicals ...........
    My concern is that the nails will be subject to corrosion because there is no way to isolate them from the lumber and any corrosion would be hidden.

......whom I should defer. The manufacturer? A contractor for corrections?
    /QUOTE]

Looks like the guide lines were met in application, maybe. Depends on specific nails used.

If you were to read through he actual studies that the hanger/nail manufactures you find that they actually do not recommend Hot Dipped use in wet applications only stainless. You have to dig deep to find that they (manufactures) eventually cover their buts with disclaimers on applications and nothing is really going to hold up to the copper. Which is why heat treated is touted as superior by some wood producers.
    {{{ by actual studies I mean the research testing reports and data that they base their recommended use tables on, typically a foot note to a foot note to a foot note}}}

In your application the area is dry so Hot Dipped Gal works. But it still goes back to which nails were used and that question is one for the contractor/installer. Then you could actually pull some out and verify.

Here are some links on nails:
    Bostic
    BOSTITCH Tools
    Grip-Rite Wire Weld
    28° Wire Weld Offset Round Head Nails | Grip Rite Building Tools and Supplies
    Grip-rite Joist Hanger
    33° Paper Tape Joist Hanger Nails | Grip Rite Building Tools and Supplies

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 10-11-2015 at 07:10 AM.

hot dipped galvanized gun nails to secure decay resistant lumber has been in use for many years
    interesting enough that foundation bolts need not be galvanized if over 1/2 inch per Simpson unless the building department says otherwise and is not really qualified to override Simpson ehgineers

- - - Updated - - -

hot dipped galvanized gun nails to secure decay resistant lumber has been in use for many years
    interesting enough that foundation bolts need not be galvanized if over 1/2 inch per Simpson unless the building department says otherwise and is not really qualified to override Simpson ehgineers

- - - Updated - - -

interesting enough that foundation bolts need not be galvanized if over 1/2 inch per Simpson unless the building department says otherwise and is not really qualified to override Simpson structural

Many moons ago I went to some of the Simpson Seminars. Unless it's changed the big concern was pressure treated wood + Galvanized Nails + Salt. Salt (whether in the air by the coast or placed on it to remove or prevent ice (like a commercial building might)) causes issues and stainless should then be used (both hanger and nails).

Another note was that the short nails used are ok, the design load capacity of the hanger is decreased.

Open Book Home Inspections, LLC
    www.openbokhomeinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gulotta View Post
    Another note was that the short nails used are ok, the design load capacity of the hanger is decreased.
    Many of the Simpson (and other) hangers are rated using 16d common nails - any other nail reduces the rating of the hanger.

Most of the 1-1/2" long nails are 10d and thus the derating is caused by the reduction from 16d common to 10d (common nail size, just shorter).

Many Simpson hangers are now rated for their screws too, and some are designed with the screws as the highest rating. Their screws are neat in that, like a nail, the screws bend, not break off like regular screws do.

I'm going to an all day Simpson class Tuesday - they are always quite interesting.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I'm going to an all day Simpson class Tuesday - they are always quite interesting.
    There is a factory here in CA. I think it's near Stocton. In the past, they have offered tours of the factory. Fun to see some of the manufacturing equipment.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/