Default AFCI Outlet Device

Hi folks,

New construction, not occupied. There was one AFCI breaker in the garage panel. There were a few other outlet-type AFCI devices protecting receptacle outlets in the interior. Lights were not protected as far as I could determine.

My understanding is that AFCI protection is required at the panel, unless the cable between the panel and the first outlet device is RMC, IMC, EMT, MC or AC; or embedded in concrete (CEC Article 210.12 A Exception 1). Also, ALL outlets (light, smokes, receptacle outlets, etc.) are required to be AFCI protected.

I haven't run into AFCI outlets before, so I was unsure. Do I have it right?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Default Re: AFCI Outlet Device

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    There was one AFCI breaker in the garage panel. There were a few other outlet-type AFCI devices protecting receptacle outlets in the interior. Lights were not protected as far as I could determine.
    The lights are required to be AFCI protected. What NEC edition does CA use? 2011? 2014?

My understanding is that AFCI protection is required at the panel, unless the cable between the panel and the first outlet device is RMC, IMC, EMT, MC or AC; or embedded in concrete (CEC Article 210.12 A Exception 1). Also, ALL outlets (light, smokes, receptacle outlets, etc.) are required to be AFCI protected.

The 2014 NEC makes it a lot more complicated. I didn't put all those complications in my AFCI list as it would take up half a page.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The lights are required to be AFCI protected. What NEC edition does CA use? 2011? 2014?
    Hi Jerry,

Thanks. Pretty much what I thought.

CA uses the 2013 California Electric Code which is based on the 2011 NEC. Next update is 2016 which will incorporate the 2013 NEC.

The 2014 NEC makes it a lot more complicated. I didn't put all those complications in my AFCI list as it would take up half a page.
    Great. Maybe I will retire before then. Fortunately, I mostly inspect existing buildings, so it will be a while before I start seeing 2014 requirements. Is this on your website for free download by ME???

Kevin,

Not a code inspection. Pre-sale. Nonetheless, I try to get things right. BTW, no AFCI redundancy that I could find. I couldn't figure out what the one AFCI breaker in the panel did. Tripped it and couldn't find any protected circuits.

Great. Maybe I will retire before then. Fortunately, I mostly inspect existing buildings, so it will be a while before I start seeing 2014 requirements. Is this on your website for free download by ME???
    Gunnar,

Inspectors

Just for you ... no one else can see them ... bottom of the electrical column - oh, wait, that just let everyone else know where to look ... OH DARN!

Want me to add you to my newsletter email list so I send them to you when I send them out? Just let me know, PM, email, or post it here ... same for everyone else, just let me know - send me your email address.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 10-13-2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added part about signing up for newsletter
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Cool Re: AFCI Outlet Device

Wow, derating and all kinds of other nifty stuff! You shouldn't give this stuff out for free.

Ummm... forget I said that.

Gunnar,

Inspectors

Just for you ... no one else can see them ... bottom of the electrical column - oh, wait, that just let everyone else know where to look ... OH DARN!

Want me to add you to my newsletter email list so I send them to you when I send them out? Just let me know, PM, email, or post it here ... same for everyone else, just let me know - send me your email address.
    Mr Peck- I would appreciate anything you send out- jdpavan@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN PAVAN View Post
    Mr Peck- I would appreciate anything you send out- jdpavan@gmail.com
    John,

I've added you to my email list, thank you.

Previous newsletters can be read/downloaded here: http://jerrypeck.com/IFCN/IFCN.htm

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John,

Previous newsletters can be read/downloaded here: http://jerrypeck.com/IFCN/IFCN.htm

GREAT. I really appreciate your willingness to share the depth of knowledge you possess.

John,

Jerry, please add me too. Cheers!
    Dave
    BuyersSellersPi@aol.com

Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com

Jerry,

I would appreciate being added to your email list for this.
    tim@nittygrittyinspections.com
    Thank You!

Tim Kaiser

Gunnar,

Inspectors

Jerry,
    Please add me to your mailing list, great information.

Bill.atchley@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
    Dave
    BuyersSellersPi@aol.com
    Dave,

I will add you to my newsletter mailing list when I get back to my office.

Thank you.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Hi folks,

New construction, not occupied. There was one AFCI breaker in the garage panel. There were a few other outlet-type AFCI devices protecting receptacle outlets in the interior. Lights were not protected as far as I could determine.

Please check for the AHJ electrical buyoff label that should be affixed on the premises equipment or contact the local building department to find out what the electrical code adoption is compliant to in the area. The Cali State requirements do not comply totally within the 2014 NEC code cycle.

Your interpretation of the latest NEC may be correct but some local AHJ's overrule or add various AFCI usage requirements. Make your report stating that there must be approved labeling indicating the electrical wiring has been AHJ certified for the new construction compliance. Let the local code directives carry the liability...by a qualified AHJ electrical inspector.

Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

Hi folks,

Jerry's right about the lights.
    As for the complicated requirements, 2014's 210.12(A)(4) simplifies things, in that even with new wiring you don't need the (nobody makes one) supplemental arc protection circuit breaker so long as the AFCI device is within 50-70 ft of the CB, depending on gage, measured along the cable. Whether the AHJ would accept compliance with a later version of the NEC is uncertain but possible. But this is irrelevant if the lighting is on a different circuit. Still and all, so long as certain mistakes are absent, correcting this is not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
    Dave
    BuyersSellersPi@aol.com
    Dave,

I've added you to the email distribution list too.

Thank you,

Jerry

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Gunnar,

Inspectors

Jerry,
    Would like for you to add me to your newsletter subscriber list. Thanks!
    onthegulf1@me.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wisnewski View Post
    Jerry,
    Would like for you to add me to your newsletter subscriber list. Thanks!
    onthegulf1@me.com
    Bob,

I've added you to my newsletter distribution email list.

Thank you,

Jerry

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bob,

Thank you,

Jerry
    If you have a news letter which will supply me with any needed information useful to my inspection construction business please add me
    Thanks
    Frazier

- - - Updated - - -

Bob,

Thank you,

Jerry
    If you have a news letter which will supply me with any needed information useful to my inspection construction business please add me
    Thanks
    Frazier

- - - Updated - - -

Bob,

Thank you,

Jerry
    Thanks
    Frazier

Quote Originally Posted by frazier jeffery View Post
    Thanks
    Frazier
    Frazier,

I don't know if you need the information or not ... ... send me a PM with your email address and I will add you to my newsletter distribution list.

Thank you,

Jerry

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by david shapiro View Post
    Jerry's right about the lights.
    As for the complicated requirements, 2014's 210.12(A)(4) simplifies things, in that even with new wiring you don't need the (nobody makes one) supplemental arc protection circuit breaker so long as the AFCI device is within 50-70 ft of the CB, depending on gage, measured along the cable. Whether the AHJ would accept compliance with a later version of the NEC is uncertain but possible. But this is irrelevant if the lighting is on a different circuit. Still and all, so long as certain mistakes are absent, correcting this is not a big deal.
    Hi David,
    Are you the David E. Shapiro, author of YOUR OLD WIRING? If so, I think this book would be an excellent reference to home inspectors who have the need to inspect existing homes with wiring deteriorated conditions.
    Dave, I can help you update your book next edition run with the latest in electrical installation advanced dwelling wiring methods such as clean NM bundling with Dual Function technology and individual wiring termination techniques. PM email if interested. Ben