Default Electrical Panel upgraded

Hi,

I just came across an electrical panel that I have a question about (please see pic). Are the wire nuts okay in this situation? The panel appears to have been updated and the wiring in the house has not. The branch wiring is aluminum. Please let me know your thoughts.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Hello Hadden Walker,

I'm Brian Hannigan and I am the creator of InspectionNews

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

As a "Thank You" for making your first post I have a gift for you. You can pick it up at:
    Send Your Free Card

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Electrical Panel upgraded

I seldom see solid conductor aluminum in my area. I believe they are special wire nuts designed to joint aluminum to copper. I can't recall the name now, but Google it and you will find info.

I think some of these are acceptable and some have been a failure.

Sorry picture doesn't give me very good perspective. I see a clamp on the pipe connector from the meter socket but no actual wire. Also very unbalanced load from side to side. Beyond that just looks like a typical so-so job to get it through a sale.
    Check what your local requirements are for electrical permits and licensing related to a new panel and nail them that way. Seller probably has nothing. Just replacing the panel (at least around here) typically wouldn't require the entire house to be upgraded. Make sure your report includes advice that the client contact their potential homeowners ins provider to see if there would be any coverage issues.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

The purple wire nuts are an indication that the system has been updated with aluminum to copper. This allows copper to connect to the breaker or device while not replacing the aluminum cables in the walls.

It is OK… as far as the wire nuts go…..

Now as for the rest of the panel… Did you by chance take a look at the panel schematic to see how many wafer breakers are allowed in it and at what locations?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Breakers all on one side does not mean there is an imbalanced load.

There are taped connections in the panel that should be checked.

Since there are solid Al branch circuits I would call for inspection of the fixtures as well as the panel, or at least some documentation that a recent inspection was done.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

They do not look like the Ideal purple 65's to me. They look blue. Some information about the 65 is available.

I also have a question about the number of breakers and if the panel is rated for tandems.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

They appear to be the right shape and purple to me.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Twi...-30-1765S/2029

There has been some controversy over the use of these wire nuts, because there are recorded cases of melted connections. My recommendation nowadays is that all connections and splices be inspected every 10 years. The absolute best repair is to replace the Al wiring with copper and be done with it.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca