Don Vandervort Guest

Default Gas Water Heater & Foil Tape Question from Homeowner

My gas water heater was installed last year. Does the pipe in the attched photo need to be redone somehow, or at least sealed wtih foil tape? This pipe leads from the heater up through the ceiling of my basement (and vents to the outside of the house?). It does not appear to connect to the furnace. My concern is carbon monoxide.
    Excuse me if this question is very simple - I know nothing about this sort of thing and the discussion on foil tape on this site was a bit above my head. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Gas Water Heater & Foil Tape Question from Homeowner

Quote Originally Posted by Don Vandervort View Post
    My gas water heater was installed last year. Does the pipe in the attched photo need to be redone somehow, or at least sealed wtih foil tape? This pipe leads from the heater up through the ceiling of my basement (and vents to the outside of the house?). It does not appear to connect to the furnace. My concern is carbon monoxide.
    Excuse me if this question is very simple - I know nothing about this sort of thing and the discussion on foil tape on this site was a bit above my head. Thanks.
    No photo is showing.

But no, foil tape is not supposed to be used to seal.
    This is not a pressure pipe, the heated gases rise due to natural buoyancy and tend to draw air in at the joints rather than leaking out. That said, the joints do need to be reasonably air tight. If double wall b-vent then it snaps together and no sealant is needed, ever. If single wall pipe it should be tight and screws used to lock it together.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas