John Binder Guest

Default Kitec used for in floor radiant heating (in concrete floor)

Just inspected $1.5 mill home with a 3200 sq ft basement with Kitec used for the radiant flooring. Are the implications as severe as supply plumbing? Are the connections at the manifold the only problem areas or can there be faulty fittings within the poured concrete floor as well?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Kitec used for in floor radiant heating (in concrete floor)

Hi John,
    To my knowledge there should not be any fittings within the concrete.

Age?
    What is the heat source? Geothermal, gas, oil, propane?

John Binder Guest

Product was installed in 2007, it is fed by an electric water heater with a pump and a manifold with several lines of orange Kitec entering the concrete floor.

Kitec Plumbing System Products Liability Litigation - Frequently Asked Questions

I don't know what the ramifications are, but I didn't see where those were excluded.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John Binder Guest

Thanks Jerry, I guess the question is that can't be answered is, if there are fittings within the concrete pour? Trying to find peace of mind for client but, he is aware of its vulnerability. Hate for him to rip out flooring finishes and smash up concrete floor to get to the leak. Scary stuff for sure...Thanks, any more info greatly appreciated, bumping out report as of now...JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Binder View Post
    Hate for him to rip out flooring finishes and smash up concrete floor to get to the leak.
    From that link:
    17. What should inspectors tell their clients regarding this settlement if a property has KITEC pipes?
    - Inspectors should inform clients of the settlement and advise them to file a Claim Form even if they have not yet experienced a leak.

Let him know, it is his decision to make on when, or if, to rip up the concrete. Find all the information you can and send links to him to help him with his decision.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Marshall Brown Guest

Sometimes you just feel out of the loop. It isn't clear to me reading this thread if the leak problem with this product is pipe failure, connector failures or both. Frankly we have just examined the systems we encounter for visible leaks with no attention to brand names and were unaware of litigation over the products even though I regularly visit two or three HI message boards. Any hints on where I could read up on what to look for?