Thread: 220 outlet

Daniel Braggs Guest

Default 220 outlet

Is a 220 outlet required in the utility closet based on TREC SOP?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: 220 outlet

No, Not in the TREC SOP. I certainly would put it in the report as an observation since I'm guessing there is a gas line installed for a gas dryer. I have done older homes that have the gas outlet and not a 220. Buyer needs to know one way or the other.

I moved from Southern CA to TN in 94. Where I lived in CA, almost all the homes had gas dryers. No 240 outlets at all. Moving to TN, in the land of TVA, electric is king, so just about every house has electric dryer connections.
    I ran a gas line for my dryer, and still use gas dryers. However, very few homes in Knoxville have ONLY gas connections for dryer. I may see BOTH, but for the most part, its only 240V.
    When I do run into the rare home that ONLY has a gas dryer connection, I mention it to my clients, not as a defect, just a heads up.

Probably nit-picking, but if you check the voltage, you will probably find that it is 240 and not 220. To the best of my knowledge, 220v went out a hundred years ago.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

To inform the buyer I always note whether there are provisions for an electric or gas dryer (or both/none) and for 240-volt electric whether the receptacle is a 3 or 4 prong type.

In my area washers and dryers are often not included so I think it is helpful to inform the buyer since they often need to know whether they can hook up what they have or know what they need to buy.