Thread: GPS. Tom Tom

Default GPS. Tom Tom

Any body using a tom tom?

Comments.

Advice.

Member Benefits1
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Default Re: GPS. Tom Tom

Billy,

Its on the things on my wish list.

My buddy has a Garmin, but says he wishes he'd got the Tom Tom.

rick

Rick,

I picked up tomtom One 3rd. at a Black Friday sale $150.00. You can get it off their web
    site same price.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

I use a Garmin Street Pilot 2610. I like it a lot. Bought my father a Garmin Nuvi and I LOVE it. I don't know much about a Tom Tom. Can't imagine it is better than a Garmin (but it could be).

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

James Duffin Guest

I have a Tom Tom One and love it!

Screens are too small for my poor old eyes.

I use Microsoft Streets & Trips w/ GPS Locator on my laptop.

Nwver been so easy to get somewhere.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Nolan Kienitz Guest

... What Rick said.

Has anyone pulled a study / comparison of the various products and models along with any recurring costs for updated maps, etc.?

I know of several folks who have the Garmin products (dunno which models) and they really like them. Have not run across anyone with the TomTom as of yet. (Note ... I really don't plan to "run across" anyone ... don't think my in$urance would like that)

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Kienitz View Post

any recurring costs for updated maps, etc.?

Nolan,

Map updates are included from web site ,plug in the supplied USB.

No AC charger supplied,(I got a universal AC with 12 DC female plug in, at phone supply store $5.00) It chargers off your Computer's USB as well.

I am happy with my Garmin C340. It's been wrong a handful of times, but overall very good.

The C340 announces street names. That is a feature worth paying extra for. There is a new model out that uses voice recognition.

Richard Rushing Guest

I have the TomTom 910 and love it.... I've now had it for about a year and it's just what the doctor ordered.

The thing is, I bought the largest screen you could get (910) and when it arrived, my first thought was, hell... these old eyes won't be able to see that thing! Wrong!!! I have it just below my rear-view mirror and at a quick glance, I really never have to take my eyes off the road (well, maybe for a milli-second). Good unit.

I bought my for $499.00 but they have come down since then so picking one up at any thing less is a bonus.

About two years ago, I tried to purchase a Garmin C340 off Ebay and got ripped-off by some jack-azz.

I did an article comparing several a year ago. I really liked the Garmin Nuvi but thought the Lowrance offered the most bang for the buck. Looking at the black friday ads their were a number of offerings for under $200. Touchscreen is a must, text to speech is a plus, 3D flyover view is a must and good speaker is a must. Another item is looking up newer developments to see if there included.

Forget about buying new maps. They are pricey, typically at least 50% cost of a new unit. The technology is moving quick enough that you will just buy a new unit.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

I have the TOM TOM 300. I love it. Never had to read the directions, its that easy. It is also made by Garmin. I found that out when TSA stold the power cord out of my luggage. I went to a electronics store to replace cord and the guy said most GPS are made by Garmin.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

I have a lower end Tom Tom and am very happy with it. It was about $300 last Christmas... so probably about $50 on sale this year....

It's right about 99.9% of the time. It's not great with the super new developments but that's to be expected. I always get fairly specific directions on new const.

I'm not sure what you get when you pay much more for a GPS... the cheapies get you there... even with a babe from 27 different countries telling you where to turn. As someone mentioned, a touch screen is a must... other than that I'm happy with whatever.

I think it's like a radar detector.... anyone of them is 90% better than not having one at all.... you can pay a bunch to get further into that last 10% but there is definitely a diminishing return on your $$$.

Go to cnet.com
    You will find a lot of useful information.
    According to them Tom Tom TO Go is one of the best
    .cnet.com/4244-5_1-0.html?query=gps+review&sort=editorsrating&fOrder= &type=&tag=srt.rat

Last edited by Zibby Swieca; 12-10-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    It's right about 99.9% of the time. It's not great with the super new developments but that's to be expected. I always get fairly specific directions on new const.
    It's no different than the road atlas or local street atlas that you bought last year. When it was published it was (hopefully) based on the best and most accurate information that was available. New streets and developments that were put in after the atlas was printed obviously wouldn't appear in the atlas. Same thing with a GPS except you can buy updates for your GPS (whereas you have to buy a whole new atlas to get the updates).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    I think it's like a radar detector.... anyone of them is 90% better than not having one at all.... you can pay a bunch to get further into that last 10% but there is definitely a diminishing return on your $$$.
    Most of the cheaper GPS units don't have features found on the more expensive models and they may be much slower at calculating, recalculating and refreshing (much like a computer with very little RAM). You should decide what features you would like in a GPS, shop around and buy the one that has the features you need at the price you can swallow.

A good site to learn about GPSs and ask questions is G p s P a s S i o n.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Up Date TOM TOM ONE 3rd Edition.

Easy to use, Download latest Maps(no charge). Shows distance to Turn,Destination,Estimated Time of Travel (updates if traffic is heavy), current speed of travel. Street Names as they approach.

Tap the screen follow the Green arrow and turn instructions You've Arrived at Your Destination.

Doesn't like side trips in point to point travel. But Quickly recalculates correction.

Maybe my imagination but Voice appears Sterner when you Disregard the directions.

I use Microsoft Streets & Trips with my Magellan 310 plugged into my laptop. Big screen, turn by turn directions, I've tried a couple of other programs that were better, respond to voice prompts, things like that. Maps on the others were really sketchy in my area.
    Streets & Trips updates maps all the time, if you are in an area that gets updated thats great. My home, built in 2000, is not shown on the maps, street was extended in 1998, still shown as unimproved now.
    But my area hasn't had much growth either.
    Better off with something else, Tom Toms are supposed to be great.
    If MS would add & update better my setup would be ok. Still usuable, just a ton of stuff gets left out.