Question window fall protection

I am reading about window fall protection and I am confused.
    It stated "6' above grade" - so the window could not be taller that 4 ', this keeping in mind that it is 2' above finished floor plus 4'feet window will equal "6'feet above the grade" window ?
    It stated " have opening to not passage 4'' ball - it is very small opening, so everything more than that has to have fall protection?
    Can anyone help me to understand this rule, please

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: window fall protection

IRC 2009 edition that is 612.2 Seems to be have moved in 2012.

What version and section of the IRC are you referencing?

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

2012 IRC
    - R312.2 Window fall protection.
    - - Window fall protection shall be provided in accordance with Sections R312.2.1 and R312.2.2.
    - - R312.2.1 Window sills.
    - - - In dwelling units, where the opening of an operable window is located more than 72 inches (1829 mm) above the finished grade or surface below, the lowest part of the clear opening of the window shall be a minimum of 24 inches (610 mm) above the fininshed floor of the room in which the window is located. Operable sections of windows shall not permit openings that allow passage of a 4-inch-diameter (102 mm) sphere where such openings are located within 24 inches (610 mm) of the finished floor.
    - - - - Exceptions:
    - - - - - 1. Windows whose openings will not allow a 4-inch-diameter (102 mm) sphere to pass through the opening when the opening is in its largest opened position.
    - - - - - 2. Openings that are provided with window fall prevention devices that comply with ASTM F 2090.
    - - - - - 3. Windows that are provided with window opening control devices that comply with Section R312.2.2.
    - - R312.2.2 Window opening control devices.
    - - - Window opening control devices shall comply with ASTM F 2090. The window opening control device, after operation to release the control device allowing the window to fully open, shall not reduce the minimum net clear opening area of the window unit to less than the area required by Section R310.1.1.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Question Re: window fall protection

It is still confusing for me. The best I understood is in order to have fall protection the window must be MORE then 6 feet from the outside ground level AND LESS then 2 feet from finished floor?

Does it mean that if window is MORE then 2 feet from finished floor OR LESS then 6 feet from the ouside ground it DOES NOT need fall protection?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    2012 IRC
    - - Window fall protection shall be provided in accordance with Sections R312.2.1 and R312.2.2.
    - - - In dwelling units, where the opening of an operable window is located more than 72 inches (1829 mm) above the finished grade or surface below, the lowest part of the clear opening of the window shall be a minimum of 24 inches (610 mm) above the fininshed floor of the room in which the window is located. Operable sections of windows shall not permit openings that allow passage of a 4-inch-diameter (102 mm) sphere where such openings are located within 24 inches (610 mm) of the finished floor.
    - - - - Exceptions:
    - - - - - 1. Windows whose openings will not allow a 4-inch-diameter (102 mm) sphere to pass through the opening when the opening is in its largest opened position.
    - - - - - 2. Openings that are provided with window fall prevention devices that comply with ASTM F 2090.
    - - - - - 3. Windows that are provided with window opening control devices that comply with Section R312.2.2.
    - - - Window opening control devices shall comply with ASTM F 2090. The window opening control device, after operation to release the control device allowing the window to fully open, shall not reduce the minimum net clear opening area of the window unit to less than the area required by Section R310.1.1.

2012 IRC

R312.2.1 says that if ... if the window:
    - opening is more than 72 inches above the ground or finished surface outside the window
    - and
    - the lowest part of the opening, not the "window sill" as many think of it, the lowest part of the "opening" is less than 24 inches above the floor inside the window
    - and
    - the opening permits a 4 inch sphere to pass through the opening
    - then
    - a guard is required, Exception 2 tells what the guard is required to meet

However, if
    - the window is less than 72 inches above the finished grade outside
    - or
    - the bottom of the window opening is 24 inches or greater above the floor
    - or
    - the window opening is too small to pass a 4 inch sphere, this is Exception 1
    - then
    - a guard is not required

- - - - Exceptions:

- - - Window opening control devices shall comply with ASTM F 2090. The window opening control device, after operation to release the control device allowing the window to fully open, shall not reduce the minimum net clear opening area of the window unit to less than the area required by Section R310.1.1.[/QUOTE]

R312.2.2 says that any guard (which are 'window opening control devices'), when opened, shall not reduce the net clear opening to less than the EERO size required by R310.1:
    - R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue required.
    - - R310.1.1 Minimum opening area.
    - - - All emergency escape and rescue openings shall have a minimum net clear opening of 5.7 square feet (0.530 m2).
    - - - - Exception: Grade floor openings shall have a minimum net clear opening of 5 square feet (0.465 m2).

I changed the wording around to shown when a guard is required and when a guard is not required versus the code's wording talking about window opening bottom height above grade, above the floor, and size.

Hopefully, that helps.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Red face Re: window fall protection

JERRY, YOU ARE WONDERFUL TEACHER. tHANK YOU VERY MUCH, i EVENTUALLY VERY CLEAR UNDERSTAND THIS. ESPECIALLY THANK YOU POINTED WHEN IT IS "AND" AND WHEN IT IS " OR". THANK YOU VERY MUCH AGAIN !

The opening, not the window sill.
    Good clarification.

However, if

- the window is less than 72 inches above the finished grade outside
    - or
    - the bottom of the window opening is 24 inches or greater above the floor
    - or
    - the window opening is too small to pass a 4 inch sphere, this is Exception 1
    - then
    - a guard is not required

Provincial regulations have been passed in Quebec for Pre-Possession Inspections on home or condominiums. Refreshing.
    Mostly due the 2012 provincial condo commission inquiry.
    Things are starting to change for the real estate consumer slowly.

Jerry, or any member that might be able to answer this question.
    As to the opening is too small to pass a 4-inch sphere Exception.
    (1) One manufacturer of mechanical casement windows has figgered out how to skirt that restriction.
    You can not open the window further than 4 inches, but the upper lock arm assembly is in 2 parts. You can open the window as far as it swings horizontally and be able to lock it in place afterward.

I point this out to my clients but have not yet conceived a safety deficiency narrative.
    Any opinions?

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT YOUNG View Post
    As to the opening is too small to pass a 4-inch sphere Exception.
    (1) One manufacturer of mechanical casement windows has figgered out how to skirt that restriction.
    You can not open the window further than 4 inches, but the upper lock arm assembly is in 2 parts. You can open the window as far as it swings horizontally and be able to lock it in place afterward.

I point this out to my clients but have not yet conceived a safety deficiency narrative.
    Any opinions?
    Robert,

It is not a safety deficiency, it is a requirement for the window opening control device (fancy schmancy words for a device which controls the opening size of the window).

The window opening control device keeps the windows open to not allow a 4" sphere to pass through the opening, however, that violates the required minimum width for EERO size.

The solution is a secondary action which allows the window opening control device to be released from that 'normal' position to the 'EERO' position, and when the window opening control device is released from the 'normal' position, it is required to 'latch' the window opening control device in the full open EERO size.

We do not want someone to release the window to be EERO size, then before they can escape through the now fully open window, the window closes to a too small opening again, whether by wind, accidentally pushing on the window during escape, etc, right?

Keep in mind that the only part of the opening which needs to be restricted to not allow a 4" sphere to pass through is the part of the opening which falls within those requirements: i.e., the part of the opening which is 24" or less above the inside floor and is higher than 72" above the final grade outside, and which allows a 4" sphere to pass.

If the bottom of the window is more than 24" above the floor inside, it doesn't require the window opening control device, and (although not specifically not prohibited) should not be installed when the bottom of the window is higher than 24" inches above the inside floor as that now becomes, in my opinion, 'special knowledge' to open the EERO.

It is a conflict anyway ... 'special knowledge' is not permitted for opening the EERO window, yet 'special knowledge' is necessary to know how to open the window opening control device as, I an sure, there is no 'standard and obvious required method' of opening the window opening control devices (special windows such as you described, latches for guards, etc) ... at least that is how it seems to me.

Remember when we were younger and we were taught to 'through a chair through the window' and climb out? That does not work with an impact rated window which is designed and intended to NOT break or even allow a 9 pound 2x4 traveling at 34 mph to penetrate through the window ... a child throwing a chair at that window is just going to have that chair bounce back in their face ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks for the reply.
    I concur, safety deficiency was wrong term.
    "EERO size" or "rescue openings."
    Thanks.

I have just started noticing window opening control devices.
    How long have window opening control devices been around for?
    Seeing its hard or impossible to talk to AHJ in Montreal, it makes gaining knowledge difficult.

My PC is in the shop. When I get it back later today I will post a picture.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT YOUNG View Post
    I have just started noticing window opening control devices.
    How long have window opening control devices been around for?
    They came into the IRC with the 2006 IRC edition.

The South Florida Building Code, Miami-Dade and Broward editions had them, as I recall, in the 1988 editions.

The SFBC height dimensions were more complicated than the IRC dimensions.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks.
    Much appreciated.