Default (Need help ASAP) Window Flashing Issue

Recently inspected a new home for a friend. Ran across a window flashing issue. The windows at the front of the house have 2 trim boards installed above them. There is flashing above the top trim board. The trim board directed above the window is thinner therefore recessed in relation to the top of the window exposing the top of the window and providing a track to funnel water behind the siding. There are water stains at the soffit area directly beneath the window above the garage proving water is flowing behind the siding. The builder is claiming that since there is flashing above the top trim board that it is built in accordance with code and industry standards. I met with city code administrator and he agreed that there should be flashing above the window to prevent the water from flowing behind the siding. The problem is, the city approved the plans, completed their inspections and gave the occupancy permit. The city inspector agrees it is a problem but he is unable to find any specific reference in the code or window manufacturer specifications requiring flashing directly above the windows. It seems to be a gray area that nobody is willing to touch. Common sense should prevail here but I am hitting a brick wall trying to get anyone to address the problem. The windows are Jeld Wen. Anyone find any references to deal with this issue?