Default Cracks in a Garage slab

Hi All! We found a townhome and we found some cracks in the garage floor which run all the way from the starting of the garage through the storage under the dwelling. The townhome is built in 2008 and it is located in San francisco Bay area in California. Looking at the cracks(Picture attached) we suspect that it may be a structural issue. We checked few neighboring townhomes and many of them have similar cracks. Few of them have smaller cracks than this. We checked inside the unit and the drywalls. Did not find any cracks. The only place we saw cracks is the garage and there is a storage attached to the garage. We are planning to bring in structural engineer but before we do that we were thinking to take an opinion from you all.

Thank you!

One.JPGTwo.JPG

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Cracks in a Garage slab

The biggest issue I have found with garage slab cracks is knowing if they were there or appeared shortly after original construction or not, or if they are an ongoing issue, or if they did their settling and are done!! I was told by a concrete guy that improper mixtures can result in cracks just from the curing process, but those are normally small "hairline" type cracks throughout, not one long crack across the slab. As long as you don't have structural damage to go along with the crack the only solution I have for clients is to let them know they may have an issue that could become serious and we have no immediate method of deciding what is up. However if they still choose to purchase they need to mark the crack side to side and measure it as well as fill them in with a "hydraulic cement" type product that will provide a solid and water proof seal. Then monitor their marks and the crack condition and hope it was a done deal prior to their purchase!!

Lay a straight edge, such as a 4 foot level across the crack in several spots. If there is displacement, a difference in height, you will know more than you know now.

It would be hard to find a townhouse in Frisco that has never felt a tremor or a small quake.

If there is no displacement, and the home is not perched on the edge of a cliff, there is not too much there to be concerned with. But that is just my opinion from two small pics.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Lay a straight edge, such as a 4 foot level across the crack in several spots. If there is displacement, a difference in height, you will know more than you know now.

It would be hard to find a townhouse in Frisco that has never felt a tremor or a small quake.

If there is no displacement, and the home is not perched on the edge of a cliff, there is not too much there to be concerned with. But that is just my opinion from two small pics.
    For starters, slabs are supposed to have expansion joints so the slab which WILL crack will crack "in an orderly fashion "