Default CSST PIPE INSULATION

HEY GUYS--first merry christmas and happy new year--i know this has come up before MAYBE but i can't find it--is the insulation on csst pipe suppose to be like it is in attached photo--i'm guessing why have pipe cover if it is not uniform and as close as you can to fittings--what do you think--thanks---cvf--and can anyone tell me how to start a new line on this forum--when i hit enter to start new line nothing happens

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: CSST PIPE INSULATION

You could look in the CSST installation manual. I don't recall if it says anything.

It is not insulation and not much of a protective cover. I guess it does minimize the potential for abrasion when it is pulled through holes, etc. Other than that it identifies the tubing as gas piping. Of course, Counterstrike and other gas piping/tubing is not color coded.

I would not be concerned about the missing covering at those locations.

I don't remember the exact wording, but it essentially says to trim back the outer covering the least amount necessary.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The specific manufacturer of the CSST shown in the photograph was not clear. However, a quick search on the net led to the following installation instruction document for Home-Flex brand CSST. It instructs that, when preparing their CSST for attachment of fittings, installers are to “strip the yellow pipe jacket back 2 valleys from the end of the tubing.” Below is the link to the document.

thanks kevin

That Home-Flex installation instructions also says this:
    - The protective jacket should be kept in place as much as possible to protect the tubing from corrosive threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I don't remember the exact wording, but it essentially says to trim back the outer covering the least amount necessary.
    Kinda like I said.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I dug this up.
    Gastite brochure.

The field assembly on page 48 might help.
    The corrugated steel insulation field assembly is suspect.

https://www.gastite.com/downloads/pdfs/gastite_di_guide.pdf

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

If you follow the news on CSST, worrying about a few inches of the jacket on CSST is kind of like arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    If you follow the news on CSST, worrying about a few inches of the jacket on CSST is kind of like arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
    It is only going to get worse, what used to be installed incorrectly by plumbers and HVAC contractors is now on the shelf at Home Depot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    It is only going to get worse, what used to be installed incorrectly by plumbers and HVAC contractors is now on the shelf at Home Depot.

Mark Sokalski Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    HEY GUYS--first merry christmas and happy new year--i know this has come up before MAYBE but i can't find it--is the insulation on csst pipe suppose to be like it is in attached photo--i'm guessing why have pipe cover if it is not uniform and as close as you can to fittings--what do you think--thanks---cvf--and can anyone tell me how to start a new line on this forum--when i hit enter to start new line nothing happens
    Don't be too concerned about the amount of stainless steel exposure.

Be concerned about grounding the gas pipe header with a No.6 copper to the electrical panel ground and verify all electrical ground continuities. I did not see the ground wire. Want to burn the house down during the next electrical storm?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    Don't be too concerned about the amount of stainless steel exposure.

Be concerned about grounding the gas pipe header with a No.6 copper to the electrical panel ground and verify all electrical ground continuities. I did not see the ground wire. Want to burn the house down during the next electrical storm?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images