daniel nantell Guest

Default what origanization is best for new inspectors.

OREP Insurance

Richard Rushing Guest

Default Re: what origanization is best for new inspectors.

Dude... save your money!!

If your state requires licensing, why do you need an organization. Your states standard of practice supercede andy organizational SOP.

rr

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by daniel nantell View Post
    Since Nachi is receiving the bad press, I would guess that Ashi or Nahi would be the better origanization to consider joining. Any consensus from
    present members. thanks
    Daniel,

Please don't believe everything you hear on this and other message boards.

Many have an axe or two to grind and delight in spreading misleading or incomplete information.

My advice to you would be to investigate all the orgs an determine which best meets your needs based on your business model and local conditions.

Remember the majority of HIs do not belong to any org.

I did not know that NACHI was receiving "bad press", but you need to select the organization that fits you best.

Visit some local meetings of the various organizations chapters and select the group that you fit in with best. The national organization is going to provide the support for the chapters and national conferences. Also the national search feature that consumers use when they are looking for inspectors is important, but should not be the single reason for picking one association over the other.

I belong to The American Society of Home Inspectors: ASHI

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by daniel nantell View Post
    ---- the better origanization to consider joining.------- --------------------------------Any consensus
    OH NO YOU DIDN"T .

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Daniel,

Keep that money in your pocket awhile if your just starting out. Jumping right into some organization is not important in my opinion although those that push their group will disagree.

Take that money you'd spend on fees and spend on advertising for yourself.

HINT: I've never had one client ask me about or turn down my services because I didn't belong to a organization.

rick

Default Re: what organization is best for new inspectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Keep that money in your pocket awhile if your just starting out. Jumping right into some organization is not important in my opinion although those that push their group will disagree.

Take that money you'd spend on fees and spend on advertising for yourself.
    Not only that, but when you do get your foothold and figure out which way you are going to go, you may well decide that the association you first chose is not right for you anymore, meaning that not only do you need to start over with a new association, but any and all marketing you've done to market yourself through them has turned into you marketing that association, leaving you to start all over again and *un-market yourself with them* in order to *re-market yourself* through the new association.

For a new inspector starting out - market yourself first, you need all the marketing you can get, and you don't want that marketing to be outdated based on an association with an association you are no longer associated with.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    ... For a new inspector starting out - market yourself first, you need all the marketing you can get, and you don't want that marketing to be outdated based on an association with an association you are no longer associated with.
    Well said Jerry.

Other comments are also fair for consideration.

You need to review and review again your focus and balance your start-up. It does not cost anything to visit the various organizations and do some planning, but as Rick stated focus on your marketing first.

It is a tough/long road to plant seeds for germination.

Now, back to Jerry ... I'm wating for another posting with a couple more "association"('s) in one sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Kienitz View Post
    Now, back to Jerry ... I'm wating for another posting with a couple more "association"('s) in one sentence
    I am no longer associated with an association which seems to be associated with being the butt of jokes and whose associates are (many of them) less than professional acting when representing their association, nor am I associated any more with an association which tried to force its association views off onto all others and other associations through a failed association marketing blitz, one whose associates seemed to go for, then back tracked from, that associations associated marketing efforts, and, some of its associates took a personal disliking to me, as I did of those associates, however, I am still associated with an association which makes me feel like I am associated with other similarly minded associates - which reminds me ... this association is having its Annual Association Meeting this coming weekend, and which has, among other good people, Dr. Joe L. as a key presenter, and, like all good associations, they will be electing the Associations Officers and Board at their annual association meeting, and of which I am fortunate enough to be on an Electrical Panel (with other association members knowledgeable in electrical) Sunday morning to answer electrical questions prior to the end of the association's education seminar.

(I could have added a few more, but that should do it? Ya think?)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Spend your bucks by joining ICC and begin building your code library.
    Also find out if ICC has a local chapter? Good advice on joining any association until you go to a few chapter meeting and check out how they function, act towards newbies, are helpfull or just pose as pros?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Kevin VanderWarf Guest

Following the advice in the previous post, it seems that you don't really need an association or org. starting out.
    My guess is you won't need to join one this year at all, in fact you may want to spend you money on advertising and such next year to, and the next year and the next............
    I'm not sure what year you need to join an ass/org but I don't think you'll figure it out here. Thats one of the things you'll figure out in time, on your own.

Daniel,

Find an association that meets nearby and go to the meetings as often as you can. The best national or state associations will often not be able to do any better than what you can get at local meetings. Many meetings will have guest speakers that can give specific information on a variety of topics.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

When I started out I was looking to build up my credibility. To me having a logo of a national home inspector association on my business card was important. I looked at ASHI and I looked at NAHI. The folks at ASHI headquarters weren't all that friendly and I couldn't get the local chapter president to call me back. NAHI was much friendly and put me in touch with several local inspectors who at the time were forming the Rocky Mt. chapter. Based on the openness I went with NAHI and haven't regretted it.

Got lots of good ideas from them and went on to pay it forward to a number of other inspectors. The general feeling was if we raise the level of inspectors, everyone will have to float higher.

Do your own due diligence and chose an organization that fits your needs.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I am no longer associated with an association which seems to be associated with being the butt of jokes and whose associates are (many of them) less than professional acting when representing their association, nor am I associated any more with an association which tried to force its association views off onto all others and other associations through a failed association marketing blitz, one whose associates seemed to go for, then back tracked from, that associations associated marketing efforts, and, some of its associates took a personal disliking to me, as I did of those associates, however, I am still associated with an association which makes me feel like I am associated with other similarly minded associates - which reminds me ... this association is having its Annual Association Meeting this coming weekend, and which has, among other good people, Dr. Joe L. as a key presenter, and, like all good associations, they will be electing the Associations Officers and Board at their annual association meeting, and of which I am fortunate enough to be on an Electrical Panel (with other association members knowledgeable in electrical) Sunday morning to answer electrical questions prior to the end of the association's education seminar.

(I could have added a few more, but that should do it? Ya think?)
    WHEW !! I'm still counting ... very well done. Noting that you are on the Electrical Panel ... that post was "well charged".

I knew I could count on you Jerry.

I put off joining a national organization the first year. I joined the local state association. Good bunch of fellas, good presentations, involved in state laws regarding home inspection, present regular status reports on licensing board activities, offer continuing education at a discount, don't repeat the same con ed topic within 3 years (state requirement). I met my true competition at the meetings. Inspectors who are involved in offering and taking education. Inspectors looking at more than just their next inspection but also the industry locally and nationally. At roughly $11 a month, great value and benefit.

I joined a national association as a marketing tatic. No customer ever asked if I was part of XYZ assocaition but I wanted a reason for customers to choose me over other inspections with less stuff on their website. The national assocaition has a Look Up Inspectors in your area feature on their website. The national website has driven business to my website and the client to call and book an inspection. It only takes one of those to pay for the membership. The membership is turning a profit based on directing clients to my website. There are no local chapters in my area to meet with. I see that as a positive at this time.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."