Default Thermal Imaging Cameras

Thanks for allowing me to join your group. I read the threads but have never posted anything. I have been an Inspector for 11 Years and am finally convinced that I need to buy a Infrared Camera. They are a bit expensive but I want to get a decent one. Been looking at the Flir E5. Does anyone have any advise. It would be very helpful. Thanks again. Bill

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Thermal Imaging Cameras

Really depends on what you are going to do with it. Is there a real purpose or do you just feel like you need one because clients ask about it and other HI's have it? Are you going to learn how to use it or just guess for a while until you get the knack of it? No being mean just saying.
    My recommendation would be if you are going to get serious about IR then buy the best you can afford. If you want a camera to start out and assess how much it may end up part of your business then buy whatever. If you have time watch eBay and buy a good model at a discount. If I were going to buy a decent entry level camera to start tomorrow I'd buy that FLIR Phone size IR camera. Played with it for a while at last years AHR show. Nice little camera, easy, basic, think it retails for around $600. I'll probably buy one this coming year.
    I have a Testo, sold my Fluke. I like the Testo better but the Fluke software was easier. Don't just look at the camera itself but also the software and related add on gadgets.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hepting View Post
    Thanks for allowing me to join your group. I read the threads but have never posted anything. I have been an Inspector for 11 Years and am finally convinced that I need to buy a Infrared Camera. They are a bit expensive but I want to get a decent one. Been looking at the Flir E5. Does anyone have any advise. It would be very helpful. Thanks again. Bill
    I have an E6 that I'm fairly happy with. Well worth the extra money over the E5 for the increased resolution from what I discovered trying them both out. But the E5 is still good.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hepting View Post
    Model depends on what you're using it for. If you're only using it for moisture or electrical the little Flir one is great. Knowing what I know I wouldn't spend a lot, and having cameras from $700 to $40K, I use my Flir One to quickly scan this stuff on my day to day inspections. i'll bust out the other Cams If I need a High res image for a report or whatever...

I have two cameras, a Fluke TIR 32 and a Flir E4. IMHO a good moisture meter is equally important. The camera only sees temp. If you find a temp diff. you then need to use a moisture meter to determine the moisture content. The Flir has a meter (MR77) that his connected (via bluetooth) to the camera and the moisture reading appears on the screen of the camera. I love the MR77. It has several very useful feathers and several probes for different applications. One of the most important features is the different scales for different materials. IMHO several HI's incorrectly use a moisture meter that is calibrated for one material and don't adjust for the material they are testing. If you buy a camera you need to get training or you may make costly mistakes. Make sure you know the standards (ASTM) for how to properly use the camera (several mistakes made by untrained HI's). That being said, having a camera and a good moisture meter and the training to use them can add value to your inspections and lead to other very proffitable inspections.