K Lucas Guest

Default Can a orange substance in the shower be mold?

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Can a orange substance in the shower be mold?

K lucas,

You got any pictures?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I've never seen orange mold in the shower but what I think you are seeing is a residue from either a shower gel or some type of cleanser left behind on some mildew that then becomes like a slimy orange gel build up on the caulking.

Some homeowners shower actually scare the hell out of me. How they start their day getting into one as filthy as some are is beyond me.

I have to use that hand sanitizer when I get through inspecting bathrooms. I used to wear the medical gloves all the time, but thought I might possible offend some folks so I stopped.

rick

At a CE meeting with a water care company in our town, the presenter brought up this topic. I have this pink substance in my master bath, so I was interested in finding out what this is. I wasn't able to find the information sheet he gave to us on this, but I did find this information on line:

Each year, a few customers call the water treatment plant to ask about a slimy pink substance that sometimes
    forms in moist areas around their homes. They most frequently observe it in toilet bowls, on surfaces in shower
    stalls and bathtub enclosures, on tiles, in sinks, and in pet water dishes.
    A red or pink pigmented bacteria known as Serratia marcescens is thought to be the cause of the pink “stuff”.
    Serratia bacteria are common inhabitants of our environment and can be found in many places, including
    human and animal feces, dust, soil, and in surface waters. The bacteria will grow in any moist location where
    phosphorous containing materials or fatty substances accumulate. Sources of these substances include soap
    residues in bathing areas, feces in toilets, soap and food residues in pet water dishes. Many times, the pinkish
    film appears during and after new construction or remodeling activities. Others have indicated the pink “stuff”
    occurs during a time of year that their windows are open for the majority of the day.
    These airborne bacteria can come from any number of naturally occurring sources, and the condition can be
    further aggravated if customers remove the chlorine from their water by way of an activated carbon filter.
    Serratia can also grow in tap water in locations such as toilets in guest bathrooms where the water is left
    standing long enough for the chlorine residual disinfectant to dissipate. Serratia will not survive in chlorinated
    drinking water.
    Serratia marsescens is not known to cause any waterborne diseases. Members of the Serratia genus were
    once known as harmless organisms that produced a characteristic red pigment. More recently, Serratia
    marcescens has been found to be pathogenic to some people, having been identified as a cause of urinary tract
    infections, wound infections, and pneumonia in hospital environments.
    Once established, the organism usually cannot be eliminated entirely. However, periodic and thorough cleaning
    of the surfaces where the pink slime occurs, followed by disinfection with chlorine bleach appear to be the best
    way to control it.
    To clean pet water dishes, bathroom and kitchen surfaces
    • Scrub the surfaces where phosphorous and fatty substances or the bacteria accumulate with a brush
    and a household cleanser.
    • Then disinfect the surfaces where the slime has formed with a strong chlorine bleach solution.
    • Leave the disinfectant solution on the affected surface(s) for 10-20 minutes before thoroughly rinsing
    away with clean water.
    • Use care with abrasives to avoid scratching the fixtures, which will make them even more susceptible to
    the bacteria.
    To control pink “stuff” in toilets
    • Clean the bowl thoroughly and spray chlorine bleach into the bowl and under the bowl rim.
    • Also add ¼ cup of bleach to the toilet tank.
    • Let the bleach stand for 15-20 minutes.
    • After 15-20 minutes, flush the toilet a couple of times to rinse the disinfectant out of the tank and the
    bowl.
    • The bleach should not be left in the toilet tank for prolonged periods; it will damage the rubber valves
    and seals inside.
    • Whenever a pink film starts to reappear, repeat the cleaning and disinfection process.
    Cleaning and flushing with chlorine will not necessarily eliminate the problem, but will help to control these
    bacteria. Keep bathtubs and sinks wiped down and dry to avoid this problem. Using a cleaning solution that
    contains chlorine will help curtail the onset of the bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by K Lucas View Post
    Can a orange substance in the shower be mold?
    If one of the occupants is a redhead it may be dye residue.

Mom was a beautician/redhead. Grout, scoured enamel and tile stained in every home she ever lived in.

Also some older skin (psoriasis) medications will also leave an orange staining on almost anything other than flesh that they come in contact with.

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Greg D. Dames Guest

Smile Re: Can a orange substance in the shower be mold?

If the owners are really interested you could take a sample, if it is dry use clear tape and simply put it on the inside of a zip lock bag. If it is wet will have to use a swab....a little more trouble getting one but a local lab will likley give you one.

If you don't know where to send it drop me a line I will be happy to help you out. gddames@earthlink.net. By the way I am a council certified CRMI and have my own mold assessment business.

Be happy to help you out....:

Regards Greg Dames

Ken Bates Guest

Unhappy Re: Can a orange substance in the shower be mold?

A few years ago, I photographed and reported a one inch amorphous blob as being a large mold colony. It was a beautiful and brilliant yellow color and resided in a visible part of a condensate tray in a fan coil unit. This is the kind of unit that is seen in hotels, motels, hospitals and high rise bldgs.

A year later I saw it elsewhere and oncemore, reported it as mold.

A few months ago I discovered that there are anti-fungals and algicides that come as large tablets and are not packaged inside a small plastic packet.

These are called QUATS (quaternary ammoniacal tertiary.....) There is a brand of tablet (that does not disolve) that is brilliant yellow. Oh the angst.

RACHEL KEIHL Guest

YES, MOLD COMES IN MANY DIFFERENT COLORS. OUR MASTER BATH ROOM WAS FILLED WITH ALL TYPES OF MOLD DUE TO A LACK OF VENTILATION AND AN EXHAUST FAN. WE CO-EXISTED RELATIVELY HARMONIOUSLY (MEANING NO FAMILY MEMBER BECAME ILL NOR DID THE MOLD INFESTED ROOM EMIT FOUL ODORS); UNTIL WE TRIED TO GET RID OF IT. BOTTOM LINE: UNLESS MOLD IS PROPERLY CONTAINED AND REMOVED FROM THE PREMISES- IT "AIN'T" GONNA LEAVE; RATHER IT'LL MAKE YOUR LIFE ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE. THUS, DON'T BOTHER IT, AND IT WON'T BOTHER YOU- I LEARNED THE HARD WAY.

Quote Originally Posted by RACHEL KEIHL View Post
    YES, MOLD COMES IN MANY DIFFERENT COLORS. OUR MASTER BATH ROOM WAS FILLED WITH ALL TYPES OF MOLD DUE TO A LACK OF VENTILATION AND AN EXHAUST FAN. WE CO-EXISTED RELATIVELY HARMONIOUSLY (MEANING NO FAMILY MEMBER BECAME ILL NOR DID THE MOLD INFESTED ROOM EMIT FOUL ODORS); UNTIL WE TRIED TO GET RID OF IT. BOTTOM LINE: UNLESS MOLD IS PROPERLY CONTAINED AND REMOVED FROM THE PREMISES- IT "AIN'T" GONNA LEAVE; RATHER IT'LL MAKE YOUR LIFE ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE. THUS, DON'T BOTHER IT, AND IT WON'T BOTHER YOU- I LEARNED THE HARD WAY.
    RACHEL,

TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED SCREAMING on internet boards, your "Caps Lock" key is usually located to the left of the "A" key, hit it once and it will remove the all caps and you can quit screaming at us. Thanks.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Mike Truss Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RACHEL KEIHL View Post
    I've seen black, green, orange, blue, and yellow mold. I've been told by mold remediation contractors that there are thousands of species of mold. Most are harmless.