RobertSmith Guest

Default Adopting Building Codes - The Process

Last edited by RobertSmith; 12-20-2007 at 10:10 AM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Adopting Building Codes - The Process

Robert, I am no expert on this, but it is my understanding that most cities in Texas a governed by an elected council and any law, code, or resolution must be voted into place by that council. Lots of individual boards, etc. bring recommendations to the council as well as departments within the city government.
    In short, each city or town will have its own intricacies about "who" brings the recommendation, but pretty much anyone can address the council or talk to individual council members.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

The answer to your questions is; It depends!
    In some towns the the CBO will make the changes and adaptations on the fly or as needed.
    Some have panels or boards and actually research and have hearings on changes.
    Some ask the local builders for their opinions! Some CBO's are told by the Mayor or whoever what to do and what not to do.

It is all over the board.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Eric Shuman Guest

Robert,

I think that is a good question and one I have been wondering myself lately. I am going to try to find out more info on this for our area.

I think it's strange that Austin is still using a 7 year old code edition (IRC 2000) when Round Rock and the other jurisdictions around here are all on 2006, especially with the home building boom we are experiencing. I would like to see the City of Austin move to the 2006 like the other towns in the metro area.

If you find out anything please post it and I will do the same.

Eric