John Martino Guest

Default Copper pipe for gas feed to water heater

I have gone back and fourth with the issue of copper pipe being installed as a feed pipe to a water heater or other gas fired applience. I recommend replacement with standard black gas pipe in order to avoid gas leakage. I think the issue is the corrosion of the interior of the copper pipe caused by additives in the natural gas. This corrosion can cause leaks and foul the gas valves. In most cases where I see this, the pipes are crimped because they were bent into place by a non-professional. That aside when is copper ok to use at gas connections?
    New Jersey Home Inspections

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by John Martino; 08-10-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Link too long
    Crawl Space Creeper

Dennis Krouse Guest

Default Re: Copper pipe for gas feed to water heater

In Florida we use NFPA codes which allow copper pipe for appliance connections. Any time one is crimped the integrity of the pipe has been weakened and should be replaced. Since its allowed here what I do is recommend an appliance connecter for replacement. Some water heaters have a sediment trap built in to the valve so I would check that also. Hope this helped!

"G2414.5.2 (403.5.2) Copper tubing. Copper tubing shall comply with standard Type K or L of ASTM B 88 or ASTM B 280.

Copper and brass tubing shall not be used if the gas contains more than an average of 0.3 grains of hydrogen sulfide per 100 standard cubic feet of gas (0.7 milligrams per 100 liters)."

This is from an earlier thread
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...-gas-line.html

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Dennis Krouse Guest

Standard refridgeration tubing sold at most supply outlets meet this criteria. I would still recommend replacing with rated appliance connector. Its a quick fix and not worth the risk.

Post Re: Copper pipe for gas feed to water heater

Flexible copper tubing, or ridged? No sweat joints - compression only. Flexible, not ridged. And the gas has to have acceptable H2S levels. The H2S levels can be determined by contacting the utility.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Dennis Krouse Guest

Flexible tubing . Compression only? If you used flexible copper it would be flared.

Post Re: Copper pipe for gas feed to water heater

Dennis, you are right. I was thinking flared, but I didn't write what I was thinking. Thanks.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com