Default What is the Cost of Pre-License On-line Training Cources?

I am looking at two different ways to get the training that is required by the State of Illinois prior to taking the Illinois Home Inspector's License Exam.
    It seems that if I were to join NACHI, I could get the training courses free as a member. And when I look at the training available from or through ASHI, the cost for the pre-license training appears to be discounted to about $3,000.
    Am I missing some hidden costs that I would have to pay to get the correct pre-license training?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: What is the Cost of Pre-License On-line Training Cources?

I can't speak for Illiinois, but in TN the courses have to be approved for the 90 hours of training. Not likely free.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I can't speak for Illiinois, but in TN the courses have to be approved for the 90 hours of training. Not likely free.
    Jack,
    That is precisely my puzzle.... is the sum total of all the free courses available from NACHI the same courses required by the State of Illinois for the per-license training? Or is the free training just the marketing tract, and the real meat and potatoes costs something more? Will it end up costing as much as the ASHI training?

Quote Originally Posted by John C Hansen, LEED AP View Post
    Jack,
    That is precisely my puzzle.... is the sum total of all the free courses available from NACHI the same courses required by the State of Illinois for the per-license training? Or is the free training just the marketing tract, and the real meat and potatoes costs something more? Will it end up costing as much as the ASHI training?
    Nothing is free… The INACHI training will cost you the price of admission, or a membership. I think they charge around $49 a month. Just taking the online training will not prepare you enough to pass the NHIE. Once you satisfy the required hours in your State you really need to go out in the field and see it all first hand.

The major difference in the courses will be the material. I have a very good friend and his son took the online NACHI course, for the most he said he learned a good deal of information. He has failed the NHIE two times. He has now signed up for one of the live ASHI School classes. The value of having experienced instructors that are also home inspectors can't be duplicated through an online class.

Some benefits of the ASHI School: You can always audit a class to brush-up on any topic; Graduates receive a free copy of the NHIE Study Guide and Exam Prep Book; You receive a free years membership to ASHI; You receive free use of software from a couple of providers (1 year); Website hosting; Free logo design service from ASHI; and a many many more benefits. As an ASHI member you will also have access to hundreds of hours on online CE with much of it being approved by States for their CE requirements.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 02-04-2016 at 07:37 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

John,
    When dealing with nachi you need to read the details on what exactly they are providing or not providing regarding their concept of "Free" .

Like offers that they have made in the past, there is a cost to meet the licensing or certification criteria beyond just the nachi membership fee and online course.

Dealing with the Ill. H I Lic. this is what I sorted out from their website

1. nachi 77-Hour On-line Pre-Licensing Course for IL Home Inspectors

2. In Illinois you also need to complete 5 field inspections with a licensed inspector
    The 5 Field Inspection Events are required as part of your application process for the state. The instructor inspectors may have additional requirements or fees for the training and supervision, so be sure to ask

3. Pass the Illinois State Home Inspectors Exam.

You can use nachi's online course via paid membership , but you have to also pay additional for the supervised field inspections. Which is what ever the supervising Hi wants to charge you.

Bottom line you can not get the Licensing Course and fulfill the ILL. Licensing requirements for FREE via nachi.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    John,
    When dealing with nachi you need to read the details on what exactly they are providing or not providing regarding their concept of "Free" .

Like offers that they have made in the past, there is a cost to meet the licensing or certification criteria beyond just the nachi membership fee and online course.

<snip>

You can use nachi's online course via paid membership , but you have to also pay additional for the supervised field inspections. Which is what ever the supervising Hi wants to charge you.

Bottom line you can not get the Licensing Course and fulfill the ILL. Licensing requirements for FREE via nachi.
    Thanks Garry,
    I was aware of the other costs associated with the required supervised inspections, and the cost of the text and application fees, but I am focused on making sure the specific cost of the on-line coursework from NACHI does not have some other hidden cost and that those classes actually comver the Illinois requirement for the 77 hours. I can handle monthly membership fees while I study for the test. And then I can manage the cost for the supervised inspections and testing.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Hansen, LEED AP View Post
    Thanks Garry,
    I was aware of the other costs associated with the required supervised inspections, and the cost of the text and application fees, but I am focused on making sure the specific cost of the on-line coursework from NACHI does not have some other hidden cost and that those classes actually comver the Illinois requirement for the 77 hours. I can handle monthly membership fees while I study for the test. And then I can manage the cost for the supervised inspections and testing.
    The ASHI School has a class in Des Planes, IL and they do the field inspections. I would give them a call and speak with Steve, Kim or Kendra and just ask them if they cover everything for the IL license. Home Inspection Classes - Hands-On Training | The ASHI School

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Interesting that the flees haven't been jumping off of the dog on this topic, but glad so far not to hear a marketing commercial.

John,
    The big question that you need to peruse is whether the course you take is constructed to teach what you need to know to pass the Illinois State Home Inspectors Exam or a course that just meets the Ill. class hour requirements. You might think that the two approaches are the same , but they are not. I think that the Ill State HI Exam is a take off of the NHIE with some specific changes relating to Ill., but I am not absolutely confident that is correct. Meaning that teaching to the NHIE may not completely prepare you for the Ill State Exam, so beware of that issue.

Another very important question, if not the most important question, you should be asking of those presenting the courses; Have they recently (within last 2 ) taken the Ill. State HI test? If they haven't recently taken the test they can not effectively teach toward the test.

There is an adage, "penny wise pound fullish". Several years ago the ASHI web site had NHIE sample questions with pictures that were offered to non members. I do not believe that is still available, but it did offer a good insight to the NHIE methodology. I believe (Scott please correct me) that the original NHIE was a derivative of the ASHI program for what ever that may imply.

I have not seen any ASHI course presentations so I can not offer an informed opinion. I have seen some of the Nachi offerings and as someone with a background in education they fell a bit short in my opinion or put in another way, they didn't rise to my expectations.

Here is an Idea to pursue. Ask those that you speak to if they will refund 100% of your course and membership fees if you fail the Ill. State HI Exam. Would be interesting how they might respond. Granted actually getting a refund may be a problem.

Did a quick chat with ASHI online and obtained the following:

- The total cost for our 120 Hour Home Inspection Course is $3395 and will cover:
    - class material, online, hands on training in the field, and books.
    - include 1 year free report writing software
    - online support building your website
    - 1 year free into American Society of Home Inspectors
    - we send after you graduate the NHIE (state test for Home Inspectors) book and workbook."

The program starts with a online study before starting the actual class.

Pre-Class Preparation | Home Inspection Classes - Hands-On Training | The ASHI School

The cost for the approved pre-licensing ccourse in Tennessee through InterNACHI is $0.00. Here are the course approvals for Tennessee: How to Become a Certified Home Inspector in Tennessee - InterNACHI

InterNACHI's radon course is also approved in Tennessee by the state's radon program and is also free.

InterNACHI's free, online courses for real estate agents are also approved by the Tennessee Real Estate Commission and are also free. You should tell all your local agents how to get the approved real estate courses they need to keep their real estate licenses, for free, forever. We have marketing cards for you to use to do this. They are also free.

Email fastreply@nachi.org and ask for a free membership. That way you get it all totally for free.

You get a lot more than just the best, most robust, approved education at InterNACHI. Check out this link and scroll down: Inspector Membership Benefits - InterNACHI

Insane.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 02-05-2016 at 10:46 AM.
    Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    The cost for the approved pre-licensing ccourse in Tennessee through InterNACHI is $0.00. Here are the course approvals for Tennessee: How to Become a Certified Home Inspector in Tennessee - InterNACHI

Email fastreply@nachi.org and ask for a free membership.

You get a lot more than just the best, most robust, approved education at InterNACHI. Check out this link and scroll down: Inspector Membership Benefits - InterNACHI

Insane.
    The OP wanted to know about the State of Illinois .
    Here is the link...
    https://www.nachi.org/even-more-illi...or-courses.htm

Last edited by Roy Lewis; 02-05-2016 at 10:46 AM.

www.1stproinspection.com

Certified Master Inspector
    Like Us On Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/1stproinspection/

In Illinois our online pre-licensing course is also approved: https://www.nachi.org/become-license...internachi.htm In Illinois you have to do some field inspections and some of our approved instructors charge a nominal fee for that, but it is well worth it to go out with such veteran inspectors.

Email fastreply@nachi.org for a free membership.

Everything else is free: Inspector Membership Benefits - InterNACHI (scroll down on that link and click, it's insane).

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

In Illinois our online pre-licensing course is also approved: https://www.nachi.org/become-license...internachi.htm In Illinois you have to do some field inspections and some of our approved instructors charge a nominal fee for that, but it is well worth it to go out with such veteran inspectors.

Everything else is free: Inspector Membership Benefits - InterNACHI (scroll down on that link and click, it's insane).
    How can it be free if you must pay for the membership in INACHI? Or are you also giving away free memberships?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Read my post slower. You quoted it, read it.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    How can it be free if you must pay for the membership in INACHI? Or are you also giving away free memberships?
    Read my post slower. You quoted it, read it.
    Scott, I think it may be the rare occasion that you may have spurred nachi and Lisa to make it what they say it is, FREE. I would take Lisa's post to be offering John C Hansen a free membership, just John. Then the question is for how long, day, month or a year?

Hey, if John can actually obtain a FREE membership and obtain any value from the course and related information offered that would be great. The most he would be out is his time and he may pick up something of value along the way.

John,---- Give it a try to get the free membership and let us know what they actually provide you for FREE.

It would be interesting to hear what is their nominal fee really. Nominal is only relative delineation that requires a benchmark to be determined and is still just a subjective opinion.
    Good going Scott on goading Lisa into the possible offer for John.

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 02-06-2016 at 09:39 AM.

While your at it get a free CMI too! No need to goad, just grovel.

However professional associations do not give away, nor provide at reduced cost professional designations, they are earned!

We'll let you join InterNACHI for free for 6 months. That way you have plenty of time to attack this pile: Inspector Membership Benefits - InterNACHI

Email fastreply@nachi.org and request your free membership in InterNACHI and start enjoying all the competitive advantages it provides for free.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

How much is it after 6 months?

The free offer is available to any non-member reading these words. Do it. You get so many competitive advantages for free: Inspector Membership Benefits - InterNACHI

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

We'll let you join InterNACHI for free for 6 months. .......................
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    How much is it after 6 months?

???????????????????????????????? >>>>>>>6 m

After you enjoy your 6 months for free and utilize all the free membership benefits InterNACHI provides, you can choose to renew at $499/year, or not. Up to you.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

After you enjoy your 6 months for free and utilize all the free membership benefits InterNACHI provides, you can choose to renew at $499/year, or not. Up to you.
    So everyone now gets their first 6 months of membership for free with INACHI? Lisa, that is a pretty generous offer to extend to everyone that sees this post.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Lisa, that is a pretty generous offer to extend to everyone that sees this post.
    Thank you Scott.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

I see how some see free as a means to divert the thread off tract, while others are asking relevant questions.
    Back to the thread, What is the Cost of Pre-License On-line Training Cources?

Scot: Some may pass a state or provincial Pre-License coarse while others may not for both at ASHI & InterNACHI.
    What is the Cost of Pre-License On-line Training Cources briefly touches on the fact of the matter that to become a successfully homie, home inspection business, 70%-80% percent of those newly licensed home inspectors businesses are likely to fail within three years.
    Many spending many many thousands only to be stopped lacking the many skills it takes to be in the services industry.

Looks like Lisa is offering real value to this discussion.

Last edited by ROBERT YOUNG; 02-07-2016 at 12:54 PM.
    Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

It's generally not a lack of technical competence that causes a newbie to fail. It's unprofessional marketing and weak business acumen.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

It's generally not a lack of technical competence that causes a newbie to fail. It's unprofessional marketing and weak business acumen.
    Lisa,
    I concur.

I find it strange to hear the homie sorrowful cries of, MY Insurance. My Insurance E&O is too high!!!
    It the cost of doing business and consumer protection.
    Tools as well.
    You never stop educating and I was told from the start, Robert get use to this if you wish to be a successful homie . James B at InterNACHI.

Be it free or paid, shadow someone.
    I offer members free help with too few realizing what I offered. Too many stopping when they are told they could do better.
    They know it all aftert passing the first requirement.
    Now they are certified. Gees Louise.

Although I can not talk for other associations InterNACHI members benefit utilizing all the resources offered freely. Joe Ferry instructional programs and resources intercepting meritless claims dead in there tracks allow the homie to work in a relatively stress-free environment.

8 out of 10 will likely never make it.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this discussion.

For background, I am doing what many potential businessmen might do and that is to weigh the cost of two different options available to me. During my research, I am struck by the extreme difference between the apparent cost of the two methods we are discussing of fulfilling the specific requirement that the State of Illinois has of taking a Pre-License course from an approved school. One way is via InterNACHI and the next way is via ASHI. To me, the cost is critical. So, I am pleased to see this dialog play out. And, so far, no one has said that the courses offered by either InterNACHI or ASHI do not meet the requirements of the State of Illinois. (I hope that I do not lean otherwise too late.)

Next, I will be looking for ways to establish the "Nominal Cost" of doing the 5 required supervised inspections here in Illinois.

I understand the cost of tools, and report writing software, and websites. I own a phone, and a computer, and I have a home office already. I still have a few tools from my past experience. Who knows? I might even find it useful to join both associations eventually. I am not yet convinced that the clients in the Chicago suburbs really care which, if any, association I might eventually belong to.

I have done a large number of home inspections for builders that I have worked for on new homes and condos. In other words, I know how houses are built. I have done a few existing home Weatherization inspections. I am also an Illinois State Certified Weatherization Assessor. I have climbed on roofs, climbed into attics, and crawled into crawl spaces. I have opened sump pits and capped old wells. In my career I have done Roofing, Siding, Electrical, HVAC, and Plumbing. I know the difference between a shrinkage crack that is cosmetic and a structural defect.

I have no concerns about taking the courses on-line based on my experience in Weatherization and new home construction. And I am familiar with the code compliance required to get new homes built and passed for a Certificate of Occupancy in a wide variety of municipalities. I do appreciate everyone's concern. I passed the LEED AP test the first time by reading the book. I may be the one rare candidate who will do fine as a Home Inspector with not much more than an on-line course, and 5 supervised inspections, and a license from the State of Illinois.

I have sent my email to Lisa this evening. I will keep a tally of my time and effort, and costs that I will put into this venture, and I will report back via this discussion.

My goal is to take the test within 8 weeks. I know you are all rooting for a win here. You all seem to be a great group of people to be associated with.

John, wishing you mush success.
    The statistics, 3 years before a living can be made.

Be passionate, honest, scrutinize, allow humor to pacify anxiety,
    Separate yourself from the herd.
    Utilize wit to pacify challengers.
    Enjoy yourself to the fullest, never let the energy subside and I am sure others will be attracted to the energy.

I am always learning with the help of kind contributing members / colleagues, and humbled by the grace of God go I every step forward. I have never truly understood life & my place nor enjoyed my time on earth as now.
    Thank you Father!

Reach out anytime, I feel much success is awaiting.
    By your intro and sensible communications, you will do fine.

Best wishes.

In Illinois our online pre-licensing course is also approved: https://www.nachi.org/become-license...internachi.htm
    I'm confused. The website link references an Illlinois license number of 453.000163. However the IDPFR does not seem to know about this. What am I missing?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Because it expired 12/31/2015. Their certificate at the bottom of their page expired in 2013???

God forbid someone actually monitor and maintain their web site. Maybe a job for someone such as the Director of Communications. Naaaaaa, to busy tweeting for Hilliary What-difference-does-it-make-now Clinton.

But then if you search the number in Ill Profes Lic you turn up:
    https://ilesonline.idfpr.illinois.go...nseLookup.aspx

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 02-11-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Garry,
    That sure is interesting. I wonder if we might poll recent Illinois inspectors and see if any have taken the State test after studying with InterNACHI.
    It would be a disappointment to me to go through the on-line course offered by InterNACHI and then learn that Illinois does not recognize them as a valid source of instruction.

What should I budget for the cost to get the 5 On-Site Inspections that are required by the State of Illinois. What would you think is a fair price range? Anyone with recent experience in Illinois?

Garry Sorrells, choking on his own foot says
    God forbid someone actually monitor and maintain their web site. Maybe a job for someone such as the Director of Communications. Naaaaaa, to busy tweeting for Hilliary What-difference-does-it-make-now Clinton.
    Uh, I agree someone should, but it isn't me. Go here: https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...0Licensing.jpg

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

It would be a disappointment to me to go through the on-line course offered by InterNACHI and then learn that Illinois does not recognize them as a valid source of instruction.
    Fear not:

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...Electrical.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...Mitigation.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...20IL%20WDO.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...er%20Tanks.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...l%20Issues.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...0Practices.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...g%20Course.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...l%20Design.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...Inspection.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...y%20Audits.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...20Plumbing.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...20Training.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...Inspection.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...oisture%20.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...f%20Egress.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...nufactured.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...Log%20Home.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...%20Systems.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...ols%20Spas.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...%20Systems.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...Efficiency.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...20Building.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...ls%20Piers.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...0Fireplace.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...20Exterior.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...Inpections.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...%20Service.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...erequisite.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...e%20Energy.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...s%20Course.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...frared%206.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...20Infrared.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...20Interior.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...20Radon%20.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...Crawlspace.jpg

https://www.nachi.org/images2012/Sta...0Standards.jpg

And best of all... they're all free with your InterNACHI membership just like everything else is at InterNACHI: http:www.nachi.org/benefits.htm

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

It seems that if I were to join InterNACHI, I could get the training courses free as a member. And when I look at the training available from or through ASHI, the cost for the pre-license training appears to be discounted to about $3,000.
    I'm sure you are mistaken. Education in the inspection industry is free. No one charges for it.

It's the same for the real estate industry as well. https://www.nachi.org/real-estate-ag...-education.htm

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Lisa, I am sure some may agree while others not but InterNACHI has no bones about transparency.
    I am sure the main issue is Alma-mater combined with, for the most part homies are cynical and skeptical by nature.
    Do not hold it against them.

I am sure you can spend $4,000.00 and still not pass the state licensing.
    But even if you did, your $4,000 license would not guaranty you become a viable business.
    Just means you paid more for stuff that is offered for free at InterNACHI.

Too bad.
    So sad they spend so much.

I've personally trained or helped to train 5 or 6 inspectors who used the InterNACHI online curriculum for Illinois. It has worked so well that this year, for the first time in a dozen or so, I failed to renew my own Home Inspector Education Provider license in Illinois. I always tell the students to divide their learning into 2 tracks; the first is the track of passing the state exam and the second (which is far more difficult and time consuming) is the track of becoming a competent inspector. Our last 3 hires have taken this route and that's how I got connected with these fine newly minted inspectors. My personal opinion is that the InterNACHI online curriculum provides an incredible 'bang for the buck'.

Dan Cullen
    www.domicileconsulting.com
    Chicago IL

I wrote this question before I began my on-line training with InterNACHI. At that time I expected to find some hidden fees or something unpublished that I did not understand.
    I finished the course work and will take the State Exam this afternoon. And it really has cost me nothing but my time for the coursework and the time and cost to drive to the five training inspections.
    I want to thank the five inspectors who were gracious to me and let me learn from them.

Dan writes

I've personally trained or helped to train 5 or 6 inspectors who used the InterNACHI online curriculum for Illinois. It has worked so well that this year, for the first time in a dozen or so, I failed to renew my own Home Inspector Education Provider license in Illinois. I always tell the students to divide their learning into 2 tracks; the first is the track of passing the state exam and the second (which is far more difficult and time consuming) is the track of becoming a competent inspector. Our last 3 hires have taken this route and that's how I got connected with these fine newly minted inspectors. My personal opinion is that the InterNACHI online curriculum provides an incredible 'bang for the buck'.
    John writes

I wrote this question before I began my on-line training with InterNACHI. At that time I expected to find some hidden fees or something unpublished that I did not understand.
    I finished the course work and will take the State Exam this afternoon. And it really has cost me nothing but my time for the coursework and the time and cost to drive to the five training inspections.
    I want to thank the five inspectors who were gracious to me and let me learn from them.
    Thanks fellas! www.nachi.org/benefits

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI