Frederick Leutzinger Guest

Default Grounding, Bonding, and Earthing

I was referred to this site by way of an email I received today, ie: the use of Shark-Bite fittings and their likely shorting of continuity of grounding when used in a common way of grounding to earth through copper or other metals involved in conduit water source systems. It impresses that it should not be relied upon as a grounding system. A Shark-Bite fixture, although seeming to be quite adequate as a repair fitting in copper lines, does not necessarily transfer through to the copper pipe on the other side of the fitting.
    I am now doing a study on the title subject of this post and am required to submit an initial post at this site. I am a DIYer and am at the beginning of learning terms used in the NEC vocabulary. My objective is to upgrade my electrical service from 100A to 200A and it is imperative that it be done in the standard and rules set by NFPA 70 NEC. I have a lot of learning to do.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Grounding, Bonding, and Earthing

This issue has been discussed here multiple times (search feature above can help) and one of the long time posters here contacted the manufacturer of those fittings and received an email response to install a jumper over the repair.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ght=shark+bite

Dom.

IFCN - Inspectors Field Comments Newsletter - here is a newsletter I did on them. Click on the SharkBite fittings link in the plumbing or electrical columns.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Leutzinger View Post
    I am now doing a study on the title subject of this post and am required to submit an initial post at this site. ..........
    Curious as to whom is requiring you to make a post in the forum.

P.S. You may want to look at the U.K.s white paper on using the fitings to gain more insight into how the fittings relate to grounding and bonding. Though not accepted in the US it is interesting just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    P.S. You may want to look at the U.K.s white paper on using the fitings to gain more insight into how the fittings relate to grounding and bonding. Though not accepted in the US it is interesting just the same.
    During a phone conversation with them, the referred to the 'approval' in Europe to be used for bonding continuity, but stated that they have not done any testing to verify it meets the US requirements, and they did not (at the time of our conversation) have plans to do such testing.

Seems to me that if they can show it has effective continuity through their fittings to be 'approved' for that use (with copper piping, unless they do not require the same bonding of interior metal water piping as we do here in the US) in Europe that they should be able to easily show that it is suitable for that use anywhere, which would include here in the US.

I guess that leads me to another search for another day - does Europe have the same bonding requirements for interior metal water piping as we do here?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Frederick Leutzinger Guest

Jerry – I read your reference to SharkBite. I'm contacting my inspector regarding the use of shunt across SB fittings with #8 AWG.

Garry – I just signed up here, yesterday. There was a pop-up message and also a button instruct requiring me, as a newbee, to post, so that's what I did.
    I have found plenty of info. regarding grounding, bonding, and earthing. I read most of the night and way into the morning. I believe I now have a grasp on the concepts and am in the process of discussing it with my municipal inspector. Some of the info. is from the U.K., Africa, and Australia.

Dom – I'm a new guy here. I originally posted, believing it to be a requirement. I will catch on to the way this site works, in time.

Thanks to all who responded with info. That info. has supplied the answer to my issue. Thanks, again.

Frederick,
    You posting stops the nagging to post prompt. Thought request was from different source. Good luck with project. Just make sure that you know what you are doing before you actually start.

Jerry,
    From what I remember of the European acceptance of fittings it seemed a little back handed method of stating that it was excepted. But again it's Europe/UK. Have to see if I can turn up the White Paper that I saw. Can not remember it had anything to do with Europe electric amps and cycles. I do remember that there was qualification on fitting being installed to specifications to get needed contacts, like everyone follows the laboratory conditions and quality controls during an installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Frederick,
    From what I remember of the European acceptance of fittings it seemed a little back handed method of stating that it was excepted. But again it's Europe/UK. Have to see if I can turn up the White Paper that I saw. Can not remember it had anything to do with Europe electric amps and cycles. I do remember that there was qualification on fitting being installed to specifications to get needed contacts, like everyone follows the laboratory conditions and quality controls during an installation.
    Garry,

Accepted or excepted?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

What is accepted and / or approved in Europe really has no bearing here.