Default TPR VALVE PIPE DISCHARGE PIPE

GUYS--i wrote up this water heater relief valves improper extension and city inspector came back and said it is ok and passed it--doesn't irc 2803.6.1 and icc 504.6 tell this inspector he is wrong--and also the other picture shows deck stairs with i think is four risers or threads--does that not need a handrailcvf

- - - Updated - - -

sorry here in water heater

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: TPR VALVE PIPE DISCHARGE PIPE

Charlie,

Where is the T&P relief valve discharge line, I don't see it ... is that what you wrote up?

There is also no sediment trap installed at the water heater.

Yes, I see what looks to be 4 risers in that photo, which requires a handrail, and (likely) requires a guard rail if the risers are over 7-1/2" (7-1/2" x 4 = 30" and over 30" requires a guardrail).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

YES JERRY

there wasn't a tpr extension pipe to floor and I wrote that up and the drip leg but it seems drip legs were not required in 2005 year of water heater installation-and I wrote up handrail and city inspector passed that also---seller refuses to fix

cvf

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    city inspector passed that also
    City inspector came back out and passed all those things? Passed them in writing, or just told seller that those things were okay?

If not in writing, treat it as 'hearsay' because that is what it is.

If it is in writing, take that written pass by the inspector along with several photos showing the items in detail (such as the stair from the front and side to show the number or risers for a handrail, and the total height for a guard rail) and go by for a 'clarification' with the building official, print out or photo copy the applicable code for your area, you are trying to learn what and why they are doing what they are doing so you can 'get on the same page' ...

If the applicable code matches the IRC, and your photos show it, you may very well find that the building official over rules the inspector and the inspector gets some continuing education training they did not want.

It also makes you look like you are know what you are doing and are 'working with' the building department instead of 'against' them.

Go back to the 2005 code and copy where that was required back then too (probably was, probably was required way-back-when).

Be inquisitive and learning, not confrontational, you are on their side - looking out for the public at large.

Unless you have a real JA of a building official, it works.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The PRV pipe isn't there..
    You are correct.

P2803.6 Installation of relief valves.
    A check or shutoff valve shall not be installed in the following locations:

1. Between a relief valve and the termination point of the relief valve discharge pipe;2. Between a relief valve and a tank; or3. Between a relief valve and heating appliances or equipment.P2803.6.1 Requirements for discharge pipe.
    The discharge piping serving a pressure-relief valve, temperature-relief valve or combination valve shall:1. Not be directly connected to the drainage system.2. Discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater.3. Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.4. Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.5. Discharge to the floor, to the pan serving the water heater or storage tank, to a waste receptor or to the outdoors.6. Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.8. Not be trapped.9. Be installed to flow by gravity.10. Not terminate more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the floor or waste receptor.11. Not have a threaded connection at the end of the piping.12. Not have valves or tee fittings.13. Be constructed of those materials listed in Section P2905.5 or materials tested, rated and approved for such use in accordance with ASME A112.4.1.

www.1stproinspection.com

Certified Master Inspector
    Like Us On Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/1stproinspection/

YES JERRY

there wasn't a tpr extension pipe to floor and I wrote that up and the drip leg but it seems drip legs were not required in 2005 year of water heater installation-and I wrote up handrail and city inspector passed that also---seller refuses to fix

cvf
    I agree with you in your observations and also Jerry in his process to obtain clarification.

Charlie,
    Is there a CO law that mandates that the Seller must correct conditions to meet code to affirm the sale ? I have seen times that a lender ( FHA, VA and private loans ) predicates the mortgage on items being corrected prior to settlement. Else it is just a matter of negotiation between the Buyer and the Seller.

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 02-06-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Good, solid advice Jerry !!

YES JERRY

cvf
    If you were using the 2003 IRC in 2005, then G2419.4 requires a sediment trap.

On a couple occasions in the past I have emailed building officials and sent photos and asked for clarification. Sometimes they have called me back to discus the issue, other times not. I can't recall them ever putting anything in writing. They don't want to document their mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    I can't recall them ever putting anything in writing. They don't want to document their mistakes.
    Which is why there is likely no record of that inspector specifically 'passing' those items on a follow-up visit ... if there even was a 'follow-up visit' (which itself is unlikely in many locations).

The 'signed off permit' is not an indication that 'everything meets code', at best a signed off permit indicates that the inspector did not see too much wrong with what he looked at - which is not even saying that there was nothing wrong with what he looked at ... just that what he or she saw 'was good enough' for them.

I had a Fire Marshall I worked with at one of the AHJ I worked at and his favorite phrase was 'That doesn't give me too much heartburn' followed with 'I can accept that' - that is a far cry from 'being right', it is simply 'not so bad that it failed'.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Looks like the stainless flex connector on the cold is leaking.
    flex connector.JPG

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

The AHJ guys have their opinions and I have mine. I don't take it any further than that.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL