Raymond Carson Guest

Default Toe kick venting

Hello. I found this website researching venting a forced hot air system through a toe kick in my kitchen renovation. I am a licensed NJ code inspector and was looking for clarification in the IBC, IRC, and or the IMC or IFC.
    The contractor I hired is using the space below the cabinet as his plenum /duct.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Hi Raymond Carson and welcome to InspectionNews!

I'm Brian Hannigan and I created InspectionNews.

I hope you find everything you are looking for on this site.

If I can help you in any way just let me know.

As a "Thank You" for making your first post I have a gift for you. You can pick it up at:
    Send Your Free Card

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Toe kick venting

Look at ACCA standards instead, Manual D. Its in there I don't remember where though. I write it up regularly, shitty install work, very common around here. There are a few factors to consider.
    - you aren't providing the calculated CFM to the room in that type of install, so will the room get warm / cool enough? who knows
    - potential mold growth starting during AC season depending on humidity levels and type of material in the cavity, i.e. crappy particle board, OSB
    - easy rodent highway
    - possible fire path concerns, unlikely but conceivably possible

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Sometimes there is no other choice than to install a toe vent.

I just finished a renovation and new duct work was installed. Guess what? One supply vent was installed right under where the kitchen sink will be. Answer install toe kick vent. I am not taking it out and I am certain no home buyer would find fault at least in my experience.

No big deal. I can't see any concerns such as reducing air flow to room, mould, or mouse entry. House is r20 spray foam walls two geothermal heat pumps. There are other vents located in the kitchen which are not obstructed.

They also sell electric forced air toe kick heaters.

Hey but I live up in Canada so my comments can be taken with a grain a salt.

Hey Raymond, re-reading this I think there is a discrepancy in views. I don't have any issue with toe kick heaters at all. Used to install a lot of them both on the air side and hot water boiler side. My comments were based on there being no actual duct work run from the floor boot, which is usually towards the back of the cavity, to the actual grille screwed onto the toe kick.
    Because of this there is no dedicated air path. Air fills up the base cavity, base cabinet, exterior wall cavity who knows depending on the construction. I've taken air flow readings at these toe kicks in NC and none have yet met the CFM listed on the approved Plan for that opening.
    Always helps to have the client put their hand in front of the toe kick grille and ask if they think the air flow will be sufficient when its 10 degrees outside

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Thanks Marcus.

My thinking even though there is no metal duct the cavity still fills with heated air and must flow outward by the same volume or pretty close to it. But like you add, if its not a tight seal where cabinet meets floor air volume could be reduced as air leaks out under gaps.

Low volume of air from vent to begin with would also reduce comfort level. Women like to have their feet warm while doing their domestic duties, eh?