Default Extra pipe at hose bib

Can anybody help me I've been researching a long time...recently moved to Florida and am confused with this. I was told our lawn sprinklers use reclaimed water but I have no idea how to confirm...
    • image.jpg (144.7 KB)

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Extra pipe at hose bib

I can't answer the question whether your lawn sprinklers use reclaimed water. But if that faucet is connected to both the potable (city) water and the reclaimed water it appears to be missing a backflow preventer. If it would even be allowed. It may be inside the building.

Looks like the water service to the house.

Water service comes up out of the ground, ends at the water service shut off valve shown, then it become distribution piping, with the first outlet being the hose bibb right there.

Quite common all over Florida, and in many areas it was required by the code for decades (such as by the South Florida Building Code, Miami-Dade and Broward county editions).

It was also quite common in areas where it was not a requirement as it just plain makes sense to have a hose bibb at the water service. In fact, it makes sense to have the water service shut off valve, hose bibb, another shut off valve, then feed the distribution system (this was required in some cities as it allowed the building to be shut off at the second valve, yet still have a hose bibb with water at it for various uses). Seldom does any contractor install the second valve anymore - save them 5 bucks (if even that) ... but sure was convenient when it was being done.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry, I learned something new. In Minnesota we'd never have the service exposed outside of the building.

Thank you Jerry. Most helpful. How would I know if the lawn irrigation was using reclaimed water other than the signs in developement stating that? I was also told that a lot of homes use wells just for irrigation because you hit water here fairly shallow...if so how would I know that too? Thank you in advance for any help

Quote Originally Posted by Michael agosta View Post
    Thank you Jerry. Most helpful. How would I know if the lawn irrigation was using reclaimed water other than the signs in developement stating that? I was also told that a lot of homes use wells just for irrigation because you hit water here fairly shallow...if so how would I know that too? Thank you in advance for any help
    Michael,

Reclaimed water is another issue - likely only used by the association, if used individually be owners I'd check with the AHJ to make sure they approved it - where is the water reclaimed from and how. I am thinking reclaimed gray water, which would have a separate drain system than for black water.

Many parts of Florida have a high water table - in South Florida, our irrigation pump was a shallow well pump (for up to 25 feet, but we hit water about 3 feet down); in Ormond Beach, our irrigation pump is a jet pump (for 25 to 50 feet and maybe stretch it to 75 feet, ours is being stretched but does good with solenoid valves, didn't work well with indexing valve).

Some parts of Florida have 200-300 feet deep wells, some maybe deeper.

If they have an irrigation system for the owner you should see the controller someplace.

removed update with edit

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 02-25-2016 at 02:27 PM.
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Weck View Post
    Thanks Jerry, I learned something new. In Minnesota we'd never have the service exposed outside of the building.
    Fred,

We don't need to worry about freezing until you are over maybe 3000 feet and maybe higher ... even I wouldn't worry about freezing ... I'd be more concerned about why and how I fell out of the plane.

Just to clarify the code freeze line is basically I-10, which runs from Jacksonville to Pensacola across the top of Florida into Texas and then California ... so there is a tiny slice ... very tiny slice ... of Florida which is within the code freeze line.

That said, if freezes and breaks water pipes 75-100 miles south of that - I know because I lived in Gainesville for 20 years and rebuilt many apartments from the pipes freezing while the students were on winter break and came back to flooded apartments (pipes froze, pipes burst, ice stopped the water, ice melted, you can picture the rest when the pipes were in the attic).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

To add to what Jerry said, unless you are getting reclaimed or well water through some common (community) source, then you would need a pump. There should be some evidence of this (e.g. pump, wires, circuit breaker, second supply pipe).

If you have a question regarding whether that is the main water supply, just shut off the valve and see if you have water flow at plumbing fixtures.

Agree with the above. It is probably only the HOA system or park areas using the reclaimed water. They do that in our town for the golf course and parks, school fields, etc. But no residential houses are connected to it in our area.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Thanks guys. Most helpful. It is HOA and they do use the reclaimed water pretty much everywhere...even the street medians. I originally thought they were getting it from the little ponds/lakes that are all around these developments. But I was told they were for flood control. I learn an awful lot from this forum. Thanks again

Around here when I see that configuration it is that the pipe going into ground and shut off is for water supply to an underground sprinkler system. It is the handyman (incorrect) way to get water to your sprinkler lines and around here would freeze fast without an interior shut off before the hose bibb water supply line. As was mentioned would also require a backflow preventer. Just my two cents.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

According to Section 601.3 of the Uniform Plumbing Code, piping for reclaimed water systems must be clearly marked "CAUTION: NONPOTABLE WATER, DO NOT DRINK." If you have a reclaimed water system and it is properly installed it should be clearly marked. See all the requirements for gray water and rainwater catchment systems in Chapter 15 and 16 of the UPC at: http://epubs.iapmo.org/UPC/#p=24, or check with the State of Florida's adopted plumbing code.

Thom Huggett, PE, SE, CBO

This looks identical to the water service at my Mon's house. Originally, years ago the service was underground and through the cinderblock wall into the basement. At some time, there was a split pipe and my Dad bypassed the original entrance point and just ran the supply into the 'T' behind the hose bib. We do of course have to place an insulated enclosure around the assembly during the few weeks of possible freezing weather.