Default 2016 Digital Cameras - Rugged/Water Resistant

OK Folks,

I've not seen any posts about cameras in a while. I have a Panasonic Lumix DSC-TS20. It's been great but it's 3.5 years old and getting long in the tooth so I'm toying with the idea of separating myself from some cash.

If you bought a rugged camera last year or this year, give me your pros and cons.

I particularly like the small point/shoot, rugged/water resistant ones because I can wash them off after crawling around under a house.

Thx, Bruce

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Default Re: 2016 Digital Cameras - Rugged/Water Resistant

Olympus and Nikon make the two best. They are pretty much the same when you compare them side by side.

Olympus TG 870 and the Nikon AW 130 are the ones you need to look at. Olympus TG 860 is still available and will be about $30 to $50 less from what I have seen over the TG870 which just came onto the market. I'm going to pick up the new Nikon simply because I have an older AW100 and have had no problems. I just need the WiFi on the new model for my Eye Stick pole.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I love Panasonic Lumix cameras, and have owned a dozen. You are very lucky to have one last that long. Every one of mine eventually failed with the zoom feature. Panasonic probably has the worst customer service/warranty/repair relations than any other company I have ever dealt with. One time they lost my camera (sent in for repair) for over 4 months. Mine usually have the zoom go out, and/or dirt gets inside and leaves spots on the photos I shoot.
    While I still own a couple Panasonics, I now use a Fuji XP waterproof and rustproof camera. It lacks the zoom the Panasonic does, but I don't have to worry about dirty conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I love Panasonic Lumix cameras, and have owned a dozen. You are very lucky to have one last that long. Every one of mine eventually failed with the zoom feature. Panasonic probably has the worst customer service/warranty/repair relations than any other company I have ever dealt with. One time they lost my camera (sent in for repair) for over 4 months. Mine usually have the zoom go out, and/or dirt gets inside and leaves spots on the photos I shoot.
    While I still own a couple Panasonics, I now use a Fuji XP waterproof and rustproof camera. It lacks the zoom the Panasonic does, but I don't have to worry about dirty conditions.
    Jack, have you used the Lumix rugged series? Or were your dozen, non-water resistant? Mine has a digital zoom as opposed to an optical zoom. For me, it's fine. The reason I ask is that a friend just bought the Fuji XP and it's very similar to the Lumix I have. I've been contemplating it because he just bought it last Thursday for $125 at Walmart.

Scott, I just bought a selfie stick for some high shots and am having to use the self-timer feature. Does an eye stick pole allow you to press the button remotely?

No, mine were the regular Lumix cameras. Loved the 20X zoom.

My first camera, a Lumis DMC-FX 200 was wonderful.
    I got it half price at Sears. Lasted 2 years then the flash went. Still have it.

Now I am using a 2 crossover cameras.
    HX300 Camera with 50x Optical Zoom.
    Very rugged.
    I ran over the entire camera with my truck. Opps.
    Still worked but again no flash. Ahhh!
    Bought another one right away.

I am hard on my tools as you can see!
    You can get really close to an object.
    Camera with 50x Optical Zoom & 720p Movies | DSC-HX300 | Sony US
    $325.00 in Canada.
    I bet its under $250.00 in the land of the free, or so they say.
    Never know, it might be free.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    Jack, have you used the Lumix rugged series? Or were your dozen, non-water resistant? Mine has a digital zoom as opposed to an optical zoom. For me, it's fine. The reason I ask is that a friend just bought the Fuji XP and it's very similar to the Lumix I have. I've been contemplating it because he just bought it last Thursday for $125 at Walmart.

Scott, I just bought a selfie stick for some high shots and am having to use the self-timer feature. Does an eye stick pole allow you to press the button remotely?
    The remote feature is with WiFi. You mount your smartphone or pad on the bottom part of the pole and you control the camera remotely through your device. I use an iPhone. You can zoom, focus, etc. and see it on the screen of your device.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    The remote feature is with WiFi. You mount your smartphone or pad on the bottom part of the pole and you control the camera remotely through your device. I use an iPhone. You can zoom, focus, etc. and see it on the screen of your device.
    I've been researching the eye-stick. Very pricey. Do you get on ladders anymore?

Now that you've had it, is it worth it?

Thanks for the answers.

I am with JB.
    Can you explain the pro's and con's behind telescoping camera poles please Scot.
    They start around $800.00 and you can not lift the first shingle to see the starter and underlay nor see behind boxes, and roof venting or mid or centre mounted chimneys.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT YOUNG View Post
    I am with JB.
    Can you explain the pro's and con's behind telescoping camera poles please Scot.
    They start around $800.00 and you can not lift the first shingle to see the starter and underlay nor see behind boxes, and roof venting or mid or centre mounted chimneys.

Thanks.
    I paid I think $500 without a camera for the EyeStick, delivered to my doorstep. I would say that around 75% of the homes I inspect have roof slopes of 8/12 and better. So getting on to those steep pitch roofs is not going to happen and I do not want to mess with a drone. I have only had the pole for few weeks but it has been easy to use and also my clients like the idea of it. It has a good Wow factor!

Sure it has limitations just as anything does including me! My limitation of not getting on steep pitch roofs is made a little easier with this pole. It is really handy at viewing prefab metal chimneys with those metal caps the rust out after about 20 years! I even used it the other day to poke into an attic space that I could not access due to a small scuttle hole. I discovered K&T wiring in that attic with Romex spliced in and going down the wall with the pole and camera.

It is just another tool just as my IR camera.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

My first camera, a Lumis DMC-FX 200 was wonderful.
    I got it half price at Sears. Lasted 2 years then the flash went. Still have it.

Not that this relates to what the question is, but it relates to Roberts statement above ... which, with a good cross-wind, leads to 'thread drift' ...

My first digital camera was a Sony Digital Mavica MVC-FD5 in 1997, which worked well with the notebook computer I used in the field at the time (I had been doing reports on a notebook computer in the field since 1994, started out with a Compaq Aero 4 ... first a 4/25 with a B&W display, then a 4/33C with a color display).

After a couple of Mavica-FD cameras (FD stands for 'floppy disk') I went to the CD (compact disk) versions when they came out ... then went to cameras which had the SD-XD-etc cards in them.

Oh well, just some digital camera history from 'back then' ...

Like Robert, who still has his camera, I still have one or two Sony Mavica FD cameras and one or two CD cameras ... the passage of time at a steady rate versus technology at an exponential rate.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I paid I think $500 without a camera for the EyeStick, delivered to my doorstep. I would say that around 75% of the homes I inspect have roof slopes of 8/12 and better. So getting on to those steep pitch roofs is not going to happen and I do not want to mess with a drone. I have only had the pole for few weeks but it has been easy to use and also my clients like the idea of it. It has a good Wow factor!

Sure it has limitations just as anything does including me! My limitation of not getting on steep pitch roofs is made a little easier with this pole. It is really handy at viewing prefab metal chimneys with those metal caps the rust out after about 20 years! I even used it the other day to poke into an attic space that I could not access due to a small scuttle hole. I discovered K&T wiring in that attic with Romex spliced in and going down the wall with the pole and camera.

Besides a WiFi camera, what else do you need to make it work? Special light? That mini remote screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Not that this relates to what the question is, but it relates to Roberts statement above ... which, with a good cross-wind, leads to 'thread drift' ...

My first digital camera was a Sony Digital Mavica MVC-FD5 in 1997, which worked well with the notebook computer I used in the field at the time (I had been doing reports on a notebook computer in the field since 1994, started out with a Compaq Aero 4 ... first a 4/25 with a B&W display, then a 4/33C with a color display).

After a couple of Mavica-FD cameras (FD stands for 'floppy disk') I went to the CD (compact disk) versions when they came out ... then went to cameras which had the SD-XD-etc cards in them.

Oh well, just some digital camera history from 'back then' ...

Like Robert, who still has his camera, I still have one or two Sony Mavica FD cameras and one or two CD cameras ... the passage of time at a steady rate versus technology at an exponential rate.
    I disagree Jerry. No drifting.
    2016 Digital Cameras - Rugged/Water Resistant
    All posted cameras are digital.
    I even posted price.
    I have never seen a rugged Camera like the Sony HX300 Camera with 50x Optical Zoom.
    45 minutes in the rain and it still worked.
    A heavy camera but the digital images are superb.

I paid I think $500 without a camera for the EyeStick, delivered to my doorstep.
    I have only had the pole for few weeks but it has been easy to use and also my clients like the idea of it. It has a good Wow factor!
    It is really handy at viewing prefab metal chimneys with those metal caps the rust out after about 20 years!
    I even used it the other day to poke into an attic space that I could not access due to a small scuttle hole.
    Thank you.
    All very good points.
    It will be on my shopping list.

Best regards.

Besides a WiFi camera, what else do you need to make it work? Special light? That mini remote screen?
    You need a smartphone or tablet to sync with the camera and the app that goes with the camera so you can control it. I use an iPhone. They also have an LED light that mounts on the pole if are taking pictures in the dark. I don't have the light...

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I disagree Jerry. No drifting.
    The thread drift warning was for my historical post ... I noticed the wind picking up, grabbed an old board and hit the surf ... drifting with that wind.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

You need a smartphone or tablet to sync with the camera and the app that goes with the camera so you can control it. I use an iPhone. They also have an LED light that mounts on the pole if are taking pictures in the dark. I don't have the light...
    Scott,

What is the device at the top of the pole? It looks like a knob (about 3 inches tall and maybe as round as a .50 cent piece). It has an orange decal on it.

thx

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The thread drift warning was for my historical post ... I noticed the wind picking up, grabbed an old board and hit the surf ... drifting with that wind.
    Sorry, I guess I was drifting:-)

I made my own pole camera.

1. Twenty- five foot painters pole
    2. Nikon Cool Pix camera with wi-fi
    3. I pad or iphone to view images from camera via wi-fi

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I made my own pole camera.

1. Twenty- five foot painters pole
    2. Nikon Cool Pix camera with wi-fi
    3. I pad or iphone to view images from camera via wi-fi
    Great idea Ray!
    Dam! I do not call your the king mate for just any reason.

Is it hard to get components to hold the camera, phone or tablet?
    What is required?

Robert

You can get a mount for the top of the pole at any camera store, electronics store.
    I hold the tablet by hand and the app on the ipad for Coolpix allows you to snap stills.

I have been using the Fujifilm XP for about 6mths now. It's 50ft water proof...accidentally tried it in shower pan standing water (not 50ft) during a functional drain test...worked great afterwards. The most useful feature is the use of a selfie stick and the fuji app on my android phone to take pics via wifi when looking around objects in attics, over cabinets or around walls/chimneys on roofs. Even if you forget to put in the SD card, it has internal memory...set quality to low. Fits perfectly in side pouch and can be worked/zoomed with one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Torres Jr View Post
    I have been using the Fujifilm XP for about 6mths now. It's 50ft water proof...accidentally tried it in shower pan standing water (not 50ft) during a functional drain test...worked great afterwards. The most useful feature is the use of a selfie stick and the fuji app on my android phone to take pics via wifi when looking around objects in attics, over cabinets or around walls/chimneys on roofs. Even if you forget to put in the SD card, it has internal memory...set quality to low. Fits perfectly in side pouch and can be worked/zoomed with one hand.
    Joe, I've been looking at that XP85. Do you really like it? Big question: how quickly does it get ready for the next photo especially when it just used the flash? I guess it could be called the recover time.

Scott,

What is the device at the top of the pole? It looks like a knob (about 3 inches tall and maybe as round as a .50 cent piece). It has an orange decal on it.

thx
    It is just a knob that covers the end of the pole. I think at one time it was for something else and they just left it. It does nothing now.

- - - Updated - - -

Scott,

thx
    It is just a knob that covers the end of the pole. I think at one time it was for something else and they just left it. It does nothing now.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Thumbs up Re: 2016 Digital Cameras - Rugged/Water Resistant

Joe, I've been looking at that XP85. Do you really like it? Big question: how quickly does it get ready for the next photo especially when it just used the flash? I guess it could be called the recover time.

As long as it takes me to look at the pic I just took...it's ready for the next. You can also set it to take two pics...one without flash and one with flash. So when you take the pic, it automatically takes two. I have had the bigger Nikons and used my Samsung phones in the past. I like this camera...battery lasts long enough to get a 3 hr inspection done without worrying.