Len Stefanski Guest

Default Modular Roof with buckled shingles

Hi,

I am interested in purchasing a modular house. There is visible evidence of puckered asphalt shingles running the width of the roof, parallel to the roof ridge and about 12-13 shingle courses down from the ridge. I've been trying to find information online as to whether this is common with modular house roofs. And how much of a problem it is.

BTW, I had a licensed inspector inspect the house already. He spotted the problem (a great job in my opinion) and he strongly recommended having a contractor take a closer look at the problem. I plan to do that, but I want to learn as much as I can before that conversation takes place.

Does anyone know of a link that addresses this particular problem?

Thanks,
    Len

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Hello Len Stefanski,

I'm Brian Hannigan and I am the creator of InspectionNews

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

As a "Thank You" for making your first post I have a gift for you. You can pick it up at:
    http://www.SendYourFreeCard.com

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Modular Roof with buckled shingles

.........you should determine if that line of buckled shingles is at a roof hinge point. That's easy to do - look at a builders/manufacturer's design drawing or look at the underside from the attic scuttle. Is this condition the same on both sides? If it's a new home, the shingles will often lay flat after some time in the sun. In any event having a qualified contractor/roofer look at it would be a good idea.........Greg

Len Stefanski Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Booth View Post
    .........you should determine if that line of buckled shingles is at a roof hinge point. That's easy to do - look at a builders/manufacturer's design drawing or look at the underside from the attic scuttle. Is this condition the same on both sides? If it's a new home, the shingles will often lay flat after some time in the sun. In any event having a qualified contractor/roofer look at it would be a good idea.........Greg
    Thanks for the feedback. (I'm new to site and new to discussion boards more generally. I was told I might get useful information here.) The condition is apparent on both sides, although there are two dormers on one side so it isn't quite as noticeable. The house was built in 2007. I can peek into the knee-wall attic space, but the problem is higher up the steep (12x12 pitch) roof. There is no entry the attic space above the finished bedroom---that's where I'd have to look to see the area from the inside I suspect.

The line of buckled shingles is near a hinge point I think; however I couldn't make exact measurements to confirm locations. I saw a builder's drawing that showed a join point between what looked like a 2x4 on the upper length and a 2x10 on the lower length. The line of buckled shingles also looked to be about 4 feet below the ridge, so I wondered if it coincides with the lower edge of the first row of sheathing.

The sellers are giving me a hard time about extending the due-diligence period to have a contractor look at it and render an opinion, which is making me a little suspicious.

Thanks again!

Len Stefanski Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Booth View Post
    The home was built in 2007; shingles are original; the tall roof has steep pitch (12x12). Lines of puckered shingles appears on both sides of the roof, although dormers on one side break it up. I got a glimpse of some building plans. It looks like there is a hinge in the general region. Actually, what I saw in the plans was a transition point with what looks like 2x4 on the upper side and a 2x10 on the lower side. The two lines also appear to be approximately 4 feet from the ridge---I wondered if they coincide with the lower edge of the first course of sheathing.

There is a finished bedroom in the attic under the suspect roof area. I poked my head in the the knee wall attic space, but the problem area is above where I could see. There is no access hatch to the attic area above the bedroom. Do you think that cutting an access hole would enable inspection from the inside?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I would be helpful if you can attach photos...

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

Len Stefanski Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Zehnder View Post
    I would be helpful if you can attach photos...
    Thanks Jeff. There are no photos from the inside. The area under the roof is a finished bedroom without access to the attic. Here's the photo that our inspector included in his report---same image, one with arrows to highlight the problem area.

Signs_of_Movement_1.jpgSigns_of_Movement_2.jpg
    Here's the passage in the inspection report describing the problem. If the sellers allow further inspection by a contractor, I want to learn as much as I can beforehand.

ROOF FRAMING \ Sheathing
    Condition: Buckled
    This home appears to be of modular home construction. Modular actually refers to a construction process in which large components are pre-built in a manufacturing facility and then shipped on carriers and assembled on site typically per the manufacture's specifications. Observed two locations on the front and rear of the roof sheathing is buckling beneath the roof covering. This suggests structural movement in the home's roof framing structure where the roof structure is
    fastened together. This greatly increases the chance of additional movement and can weaken the roof's structure if not fastened together properly. Highly recommend a licensed general contractor and/or the manufacturer to further investigate the roof structure assembly for possible movement and to make repairs as deemed needed to reduce the
    chance of structural movement.
    Implication(s): Weakened structure | Chance of structural movement
    Task: Further evaluation
    Time: Immediate

We are pretty sure what you see is the edge of shingles that are the upper, hinged portion of the roof.
    The shingles may lay flat when the weather warms up, or if they are laid too tight together so they can't expand in the heat, then they may not. Best go look at other examples of similar homes built by the same outfit. See if the condition appears on other houses that have had time. The shingles have an adhesive strip that becomes sticky or stickier when the roof is warm.

My neighbor had a new roof installed 3 weeks ago. The roof is pretty lumpy overall, cool weather.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca