Default Pipe Fitting - What is it?

Has anyone got any experience with this fitting? I would enjoy knowing what it was used for. I found it in a home built around 1950. I have never seen this fitting before.
    Water Pipe Fitting - small.jpg

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by John C Hansen, LEED AP; 03-18-2016 at 04:40 PM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Pipe Fitting - What is it?

First and foremost, and ASAP, click 'edit' and remove that photo with the address on it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Second, you shouldn't load photos with addresses (or names) on internet forums - not a professional practice to do.

I also recommend 'not' putting addresses or names on the photos - they are in the report, no one who is reading the report needs to be shown the address ... and anybody else seeing the photos shouldn't be seeing the address anyway.

Now, to your question: Looks like a check valve.

It is likely that on one or two of the other faces (flats) there will be directional arrows - there may also be a directional arrow on the other side of that fitting (which I suspect is a check valve because of its shape).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

.........I think it's a compression style coupling - used in lieu of a threaded union........Greg

Greg is correct. They are not common in my experience. Probably made for a quick repair instead of having to remove pipes and thread in a union.

Almost 3 hours later and the photo with address and name is still there for the world to see ... and the world is capturing it more and more all the time ...

Compression union? Okay.

I saw the thread cutting oil (what I thought was thread cutting oil), the bulbous center, and thought 'check valve'.

Seems it would be difficult to have a compression fitting on that rough galvanized pipe - but I'm open to learning new things and that is a new one for me.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I think I mastered the photo upload technique now.
    Thanks for everyone's help.

Yeah looks like an old compression coupling we have around here.
    John, be careful with the whole technology thing like GPS on cameras. You have to be careful in protecting your clients privacy and the privacy of others.
    A bit off topic here but ...
    I find it downright rude, callous and stupid when I see pictures in reports of the current owners bed, dresser, vanity counter area, closet, kids rooms or other such personal areas where someones personal items are readily identifiable in a report for who knows who to see.
    As a rule of thumb, general interior pictures in a report should be views of below the waist line or above the chest line. Any of us should NOT be including pictures that show someones bed or personal areas like that. If there is a specific cause to take the picture of a personal area you take it so you have it for reference but don't put it in the report.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"