Default Plastic Piping through garage firewall

My question is; I cannot find anything that prohibits the installation of plastic piping through a firewall, that said, am i understanding this correctly that when a plastic pipe penetrates a firewall it must possess a seal around the pipe and its connection to the wall?

R302.5 Dwelling/garage opening/penetration protection. Openings and penetrations through the walls or ceilings separating the dwelling from the garage shall be in accordance with Sections R302.5.1 through R302.5.3

R302.5.3 Other penetrations. Penetrations through the separation required in Section R302.6 shall be protected as required by Section R302.11, Item 4.
    R302.6 Dwelling/garage and/or carport fire separation.

The garage and/or carport shall be separated as required by Table R302.6. Openings in garage walls shall comply with Section R302.5. This provision does not apply to garage walls that are perpendicular to the adjacent dwelling unit wall.

4. At openings around vents, pipes, ducts, cables and wires at ceiling and floor level, with an approved material to resist the free passage of flame and products of combustion. The material filling this annular space shall not be required to meet the ASTM E 136 requirements.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Plastic Piping through garage firewall

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    My question is; I cannot find anything that prohibits the installation of plastic piping through a firewall, that said, am i understanding this correctly that when a plastic pipe penetrates a firewall it must possess a seal around the pipe and its connection to the wall?

R302.5 Dwelling/garage opening/penetration protection. Openings and penetrations through the walls or ceilings separating the dwelling from the garage shall be in accordance with Sections R302.5.1 through R302.5.3

R302.5.3 Other penetrations. Penetrations through the separation required in Section R302.6 shall be protected as required by Section R302.11, Item 4.

The garage and/or carport shall be separated as required by Table R302.6. Openings in garage walls shall comply with Section R302.5. This provision does not apply to garage walls that are perpendicular to the adjacent dwelling unit wall.

4. At openings around vents, pipes, ducts, cables and wires at ceiling and floor level, with an approved material to resist the free passage of flame and products of combustion. The material filling this annular space shall not be required to meet the ASTM E 136 requirements.
    It is a separating wall, not a fire wall. Big difference, which is likely why the IRC specifies the sealing material is NOT required to meet the ASTM standard.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Is plastic pipe an approved material for penetrating the wall separating a dwelling and garage? I often find central vacuum cleaner pvc pipe going through the garage ceiling that I feel would be in violation. (I have not found an approved material list for penetration as of yet, except for ducts that must be 26 gage sheet steel)

I get that.. its confusing when the CRC throws "fire" in front of the whole section

SECTION R302

FIRE-RESISTANT CONSTRUCTION

R302.4.1 Through penetrations. Through penetrations of

fire-resistance-rated wall or floor assemblies shall comply
    with Section R302.4.1.1 or R302.4.1.2

R302.4.1.1 Fire-resistance-rated assembly. Penetrations

shall be installed as tested in the approved fireresistance-
    rated assembly

The garage and/or carport shall be separated as required by
    Table R302.6. Openings in garage walls shall comply with
    Section R302.5

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Euriech View Post
    Is plastic pipe an approved material for penetrating the wall separating a dwelling and garage? I often find central vacuum cleaner pvc pipe going through the garage ceiling that I feel would be in violation. (I have not found an approved material list for penetration as of yet, except for ducts that must be 26 gage sheet steel)
    Same here.. I don't really see plastic that often though the separation wall TBH.. I usually see steel or copper.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I get that.. its confusing when the CRC throws "fire" in front of the whole section

SECTION R302

FIRE-RESISTANT CONSTRUCTION

R302.4.1 Through penetrations. Through penetrations of

fire-resistance-rated wall or floor assemblies shall comply
    with Section R302.4.1.1 or R302.4.1.2

R302.4.1.1 Fire-resistance-rated assembly. Penetrations

shall be installed as tested in the approved fireresistance-
    rated assembly

The garage and/or carport shall be separated as required by
    Table R302.6. Openings in garage walls shall comply with
    Section R302.5

- - - Updated - - -

Same here.. I don't really see plastic that often though the separation wall TBH.. I usually see steel or copper.
    Marc,

What is the required fire-resistance rating of that wall in the CRC?

If the rating is 1 hour or even 1/2 hour, then the wall is a rated wall. However, if it is not required to have a rating, then it is a non-rated wall and the only requirement is (basically) to seal around penetrations so flame does not go through the surface of the wall around the penetration.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Marc,

What is the required fire-resistance rating of that wall in the CRC?

If the rating is 1 hour or even 1/2 hour, then the wall is a rated wall. However, if it is not required to have a rating, then it is a non-rated wall and the only requirement is (basically) to seal around penetrations so flame does not go through the surface of the wall around the penetration.
    It appears to be a non rated wall.