Default Garage with bedroom above

Inspecting a nice 7500 sq ft home built in 2008. Is having a HVAC register vent in a garage acceptable ?? NOT and same house had a basement garage or what i call a walk out garage with no sheet rock on the ceiling and it also had a HVAC register vent in it also. What would you recommend (I think the building standards would say you need sheetrock and no openings)

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Garage with bedroom above

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    Inspecting a nice 7500 sq ft home built in 2008. Is having a HVAC register vent in a garage acceptable ?? NOT and same house had a basement garage or what i call a walk out garage with no sheet rock on the ceiling and it also had a HVAC register vent in it also. What would you recommend (I think the building standards would say you need sheetrock and no openings)
    I think you can have a HVAC system within the garage as long as it doesn't communicate with the house.. I'm sure someone else will chime in

Did the supply vent in the ceiling have a return at the floor? Rooms over garages are notorious for either being too hot during summer or too cold in winter. Ceiling vents really don't get the conditioned air in heating mode down to floor level.

As to the exposed foam insulation, and exposed i-joists are a problem due to fire hazard and if ducting in the garage is a no no unless there is a damper in the supply and no return air ducts in garage. The whole ceiling area should have been drywalled as per your local requirements. At least thats my understanding from my jurisdiction.

309.1.1 Duct penetration.

Ducts in the garage and ducts penetrating the walls or ceilings separating the dwelling from the garage shall be constructed of a minimum No. 26 gage (0.48 mm) sheet steel or other approved material and shall have no openings into the garage.

Why a duck...?

Last edited by ROBERT YOUNG; 04-13-2016 at 03:33 AM.
    Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT YOUNG View Post
    309.1.1 Duct penetration.

Ducts in the garage and ducts penetrating the walls or ceilings separating the dwelling from the garage shall be constructed of a minimum No. 26 gage (0.48 mm) sheet steel or other approved material and shall have no openings into the garage.

Why a duck...?
    No openings is the key word

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    Is having a HVAC register vent in a garage acceptable ??
    Depends, as previously noted:
    - if the system is for the garage only, yes
    - if the system is also for the living space, no

basement garage or what i call a walk out garage with no sheet rock on the ceiling
    If there is living space above the garage, the walls supporting the living space need to be protected with at least 1/2" gypsum board and the ceiling needs to be 5/8" Type X gypsum board.

What would you recommend
    I would recommend that the construction, at a minimum, meet the state or local building codes ( Tennessee | ICC ) and either state what the state/local building code requires or state that nationally recognized codes and standards require blah, blah, blah (see above).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Many Counties in TN do not have any building code enforcement. There is a State electrical inspection requirement, as well as septic by County Health Depts, but many don't have any building permit process at all (outside of electrical and septic).

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Many Counties in TN do not have any building code enforcement. There is a State electrical inspection requirement, as well as septic by County Health Depts, but many don't have any building permit process at all (outside of electrical and septic).
    Very similar to Texas but even though there is no enforcement mechanism, there is a statewide minimum code.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Based upon the photos, that is apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Very similar to Texas but even though there is no enforcement mechanism, there is a statewide minimum code.
    While there may be a State minimum, if there isn't anyone to enforce it..........

Well one would think (how novel) the builder would address known inherent risks, its just so glaringly obvious. Given that the courts would likely look at the contractor as having knowledge of how matters like this should be addressed, well ... need I say more. Just because there are no standards or inspections will not play well in the courts if it can be proven that a standard of care exists with other builders in the area, plus negligence in not being able to forsee the hazard as shown in the photos.

As it is, it's an accident waiting to happen. As such if 'something' did happen you can bet the builder would be named front and centre by the homeowner, the insurers, and anyone else who was involved in the build.

While there may be a State minimum, if there isn't anyone to enforce it..........
    Exactly, otherwise everything everywhere would be built to code.
    My point is that there IS a standard to meet in most places. If someone dies, you better believe that contractor could find out in short order that the courts take a dim view of people endangering peoples lives through negligence or even just stupidity.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

if the house is listed as having a garage in the basement when what they really have is a basement with a garage door, someone has to step up and create a fire rated garage

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    if the house is listed as having a garage in the basement when what they really have is a basement with a garage door, someone has to step up and create a fire rated garage
    If a basement has a garage door and it opens to an area which is not walled off to be so small as to not be used as a garage (it could be a snowmobile garage, golf cart garage, motorcycle garage, any type of vehicle) ... it is not walled off so it is too small - it is a garage, and garage are required to be separated from the living space and their attic, and garage which have living space above them have additional requirements (which have been discussed below).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com