Thread: Time to retire

Default Time to retire

HI guys, I have decided not to wait till I fall off a roof to retire.
    Question what do you think my phone # is worth?
    please leave out the nonsense

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Time to retire

Has a lot to do with how big an operation you have, how long you've been in business, business volume, etc. I sold a business and bought a business. Feel free to PM me and we can discuss what worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Are you a one man business?

I gave my phone number to an inspector friend who also did inspections similar to what I did. That is what I found out.

Enjoy your retirement.

Doing something else, or retiring fully?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    I do know one person who sold his business. Took on an employee with the express agreement that he would stay on for a while. I don't know what the dollar amount was, but you can consult with a business appraiser to help you.

Of course, that means another year or more of working. You would need to find someone suitable and then get your clients used to this new person in order to transition. Might or might not be worth it.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Its really surprising how little brush back there is from past clients when they call to find someone new on the other end of the line. When I bought a friend's business, it think there might have been three people that the conversation went something like...Oh, Lee's not there? No, we merged businesses last year, and he recently moved to Mississippi. Oh............. OK, I guess I'll look around then." One of them actually called right back thinking they were calling another business, and I booked it. They had called his phone number the first time, then went down a list, and called my number.

Same from Realtor referrals. A few liked and used both of us, so no issues there. Some liked him, and would not use me if I was the last inspector alive. Many just started using me.

Referrals lasted a little more than a year.

Might be worth something if its recognizable and memorable, catchy, and has been used in mediums such as print, radio, web.

I know an inspector that paid $5,000.00 for an inspectors phone # when he retired. The retiring inspector had sales of just under $200,000. I am currently talking to an inspector that is moving out of state and will be starting an inspection business so he is taking his tools and equipment with him so I offered to by his phone # but have not discussed price yet.

Thanks Guys, Yeah , one man show, almost 20 years now and retiring from HI for good.
    While I can still walk!

I just turned an old fart from an old geezer so thinking realistically, I guess my days are numbered but I feel I have 10 good years left God willing.

As for roofs, I just purchased a drone. Although I have been climbing ladders for over 4 decades without a major incident no use pushing my luck on steep slopes anymore.

That being said, Wayne although we never meet, I wish you all the best in your retirement years.

I enjoyed a look at the idea of selling a business. I hope to hopefully sell mine to an employee, that is when I find one that fits and I could use two.
    I thought about selling my business when I retire and this thread only solidifies that this is commonly done.

Ray, Roy Cooke sold his inspection business to Chip if my memory is correct. Happy I found this thread!

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”