Default Need to put together class... Materials source?

So I was just hired to teach the home inspection certification class at our local community college. Yay me! However, while they use the Carson Dunlop book as their primary textbook, they don't have any teaching materials, so I would have to put together my own. Or, I was hoping to buy the Carson Dunlop materials; my teacher at another community college five years ago used them. I can't see on their website how to buy them; anyone have suggestions? Or should I just put my own class together?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

Default Re: Need to put together class... Materials source?

Sorry no help on material search issue.

But have a suggestion for you.

As you present your 72 hrs covering the different areas, incorporate types of questions and examples that you find in the NHIE that they will eventually be taking. Presenting the information for the construction methods in the Carson Dunlop book is one thing, but preparing them for the exam is something else. The course you will be teaching is outlined to meet part of the MD Lic requirements. But if they aren't exposed to the type of questions and pictures that they will find in the NHIE you will have done a disservice to them.

If you don't remember the question development and methodology you should retake the Exam to better prepare yourself for the material that you will be presenting. Not saying that you should attempt to provide them with the test that you took. But rather that you be able to demonstrate and educate them practically what they need to expect and how to determine the correct answer.

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 05-04-2016 at 05:59 AM.

I agree with Garry to a point ... and disagree with his main premise - teaching to the test.

Configure your course information to teach them what they need to know, then, at the end of the each section of the class, test them for what they need to know ... but do the test in a manner which reflects the manner of the NHIE.

Garry, was the above "one sentence" short enough?

I's ain't gott no collage edmuacatshun in phill's osophy da ud fer cumparishun.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Give Alan Carson a call. He can probably help you out.

Congrats Welmoed, and good luck.

I'm sure you can make your own package, but I would bill them for time spent putting it together.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

You could utilize the CD Home Reference Book and Study Guide. They come in soft cover or hard cover.

The material they use up here is for college course, and is much more in-depth than a 72 hour course.

http://www.carsondunlop.com/product-...nce-materials/

I'm with Jack, give Alan a call and let him know the school is using his product but you do no have an instructors Power Point. Knowing Alan, I'm betting he will make every effort to help you.

Another thing you could do is to buy the new book that has been written by Bruce Barker for EBPHI. It is a study guide and workbook for everything covered in the NHIE, it is basically a textbook that goes system by system on items in a home. ASHI sells it and you can also buy it through EBPHI.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

.........congrats! Please devote some time to the manufactured housing industry..........Greg

Thanks for the suggestions! If someone has contact info for Alan Carson that would be great. The college is sending me previous syllibi to use as reference. They won't pay for prep time, unfortunately. It sucks, but that's just how they do things.

The CD book is the required text. I will need to buy my own copy as the one I have is not the current edition. I do plan to recommend that students buy the new EBPHI prep book, as well as Code Check Complete. I'm one of the SMEs for EBPHI, so have a bit of insight as to how the tests are written, which should help a little.

I'll post another thread soon asking for suggestions on materials to cover that aren't immediately obvious.

It just hit me last night what a tremendous responsibility I've taken on. It's a little scary, to be honest. I will probably be asking more questions in the coming months as I prepare for this.

Welmoed Sisson

Call this number and ask for Alan.

Phone
    Local: 416-964-9415
    Long Distance: 800-268-7070

Quote Originally Posted by Welmoed Sisson View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions! If someone has contact info for Alan Carson that would be great. The college is sending me previous syllibi to use as reference. They won't pay for prep time, unfortunately. It sucks, but that's just how they do things.

The CD book is the required text. I will need to buy my own copy as the one I have is not the current edition. I do plan to recommend that students buy the new EBPHI prep book, as well as Code Check Complete. I'm one of the SMEs for EBPHI, so have a bit of insight as to how the tests are written, which should help a little.

I'll post another thread soon asking for suggestions on materials to cover that aren't immediately obvious.

It just hit me last night what a tremendous responsibility I've taken on. It's a little scary, to be honest. I will probably be asking more questions in the coming months as I prepare for this.
    It is sad that the school is not helping on the cost of proper teaching materials for a class they are holding and getting students to pay for. The instructor should not be the one that has to put the class together unless they are being compensated for it. They should already have it done for you…. Off Soap Box…

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Well, I chatted with Carson Dunlop. They want a whole lot of money for the course materials, plus a cut from each student's tuition, so there's no way the school will go for that. Plus, the textbook the class has been using was sold to Dearborn/Kaplan years ago, so their training materials don't line up with the book anymore. Argghh!!

It's been suggested that since I have the Dearborn "Illustrated Home" CD, I can just use that along with the book to create my curriculum.

Any other thoughts? Pointers? Ideas? Yes, it would be wonderful if the school paid for everything. Not gonna happen. I'm still determined to give the students a good introduction to the profession.

Welmoed Sisson

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    .....The instructor should not be the one that has to put the class together unless they are being compensated for it. They should already have it done for you…. Off Soap Box…

Not the way education on the college level works. Nor on the Community College level. Actually not even on the Secondary level (high school).
    They don't hand you a script and you read it. You have to (in this case ) develop your class plan and instruction working around some specific criteria. MD requires specific hours to be spent on delineated topic areas (total 72 hrs). There is a very basic outline that has to be met to meet the offering requirements and it is the instructor that determines what is actually presented. The school probably provides the instructor with the text book used, a room, table, chairs, lights and video projector. Oh, also the students. That is it. Not like a commercial business that would offer the same class at a much higher cost to the student.

Like inspecting to the minimum SOP or building to min code. Satisfied to meet the min or you can exceed the min to your level of competence.

Here is one course listing:
    "Home Inspector - This course satisfies the State of Maryland Licensed Home Inspector requirement of 72 hours of training and will cover the basic residential construction standards and processes, the home inspection process and inspection techniques and defect recognition. Upon successful completion of this course, the learner will be better prepared to take the National Home Inspector Exam. "

Jerry, ((((good short sentence, but it could be refined ))))
    As a side note/clarification;
    Not to teach to the NHIE but to incorporate it into the presentation from the beginning. Not just use the text book and leave it at that, which would meet the state and schools course criteria.

Well, They want a whole lot of money for the course materials, plus a cut from each student's tuition.
    I have much respect for CD and Allen Carson, don't get me wrong, but as iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another, not industry giants and their perception on how to make money.

It's been suggested that since I have the Dearborn "Illustrated Home" CD, I can just use that along with the book to create my curriculum.

Any other thoughts? Pointers? Ideas? Yes, it would be wonderful if the school paid for everything. Not gonna happen. I'm still determined to give the students a good introduction to the profession.
    I am sure many ex home inspection industry teachers will help if/when the word gets out.
    If I my recommend Leonard Inkster at OntarioACHI.
    Len, an old geezer and myself and old fart are rather new to the industry. Under 10 years. But both have a passion.
    Len is very astute and gifted.
    Give Len my very best.
    Welmoed, Best of luck.
    Robert

Last edited by ROBERT YOUNG; 05-06-2016 at 04:25 AM.
    Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

I agree with Gary's comments. As a former (25 year) full time college professor in the School of Architecture & Engineering, it was part of my duties to develop course materials and curriculum. However, as noted before, it is common practice in the college system to have part-timers or con-ed instructors to develop their own course materials.

Primarily the materials offered are simply a course syllabus, a course outline and perhaps a "recommended" text. The actual detail of the course is largely based on what "you" bring to the class through your work life experiences.

There are a number of good reference texts that can be utilized for a basic intro home inspection course. There's another more affordable version I used in my Intro Course by Rex Cauldwell by Taunton Press.

Teaching to the exam, well, that's another matter. Once again I agree with indicating what will help prepare the student/participant for the exam, but teaching to any exam is a matter of defying true adult-education learning style.

Another suggestion - use a variety of ways to deliver the material - I used PowerPoint for presentations, but also sketches on white boards, visual images and photos from home inspections (defect recognition), and just plain and simple open discussions on various professional practices.

Last edited by Claude Lawrenson; 05-06-2016 at 04:27 AM. Reason: typos

Claude, if you could help I know it would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I chatted with Carson Dunlop. They want a whole lot of money for the course materials, plus a cut from each student's tuition, so there's no way the school will go for that. Plus, the textbook the class has been using was sold to Dearborn/Kaplan years ago, so their training materials don't line up with the book anymore. Argghh!!
    InterNACHI can provide you with all the course material you need for free including textbooks, videos, powerpoint presentations, quizzes and exams. No charge. Scroll down the left column to view the list of courses we have available: Free Inspector Training and Education - InterNACHI

Aside from our 1,400+ governmental approvals and accreditations, and aside from our course material being free, completion also counts toward an actual college degree which InterNACHI will be offering this year.

We also have the same for real estate agent continuing education should you wish to provide approved CE to local agents. Also no charge.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 07-09-2016 at 12:32 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Lisa, I would be interested in seeing what kinds of materials you offer but am not a member.

- - - Updated - - -

Lisa, I would be interested in seeing what kinds of materials you offer but am not a member.

Welmoed Sisson

- - - Updated - - -

Welmoed, contact fastreply@internachi.org.
    Nick Gromicko answers every email personally.
    He will then refer the email to Lisa.
    Lisa is InterNACHI's liaison. A great staff member!

Let me say this, I am a member in good standing with InterNACHI and have been since March 2010. The education on all levels is superb.

After educating and being disappointed with 2 prior home inspection schools I looked at InterNACHI with caution. After passing a series of online exams I felt confident I would be acquiring a high level of education and joined.
    The narrative that anchored this wondering inquisitive vessel eager to learn more, Proverbs 27:17; As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

IMO, the secret behind Nick Gromicko's success is straightforward.
    Keep moving forward, know whom to trust, have family members involved as you grow, sharing when you can, and giving back to members and the industry you are involved in.

I wish you all the very best.
    Robert Young

Last edited by ROBERT YOUNG; 07-11-2016 at 08:07 AM.

Welmoed, email fastreply@nachi.org and I will send you back a free membership. From there you can access everything in Inspector Membership Benefits - InterNACHI Take what you wish.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Who said Christmas only passes on the 25th of December?
    You're the best Mrs. Lisa Claus.