Default Air Return in Garage

I expect to see a supply air duct in garages from time to time but today we took it to new levels. I give you return air in the basement garage. Honey, get this house cleaned or I'm cranking the Jeep!
    P1030935.jpg

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Air Return in Garage

Is that system only for the basement garage? A garage may have a system for it - the system must be separate from the living space system.

Was the basement always a garage? Maybe they cut a garage door opening through the wall or removed a sliding glass door and replaced it with a garage door?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

No, this system services the whole house (basement living space and main floor). It has always been a walk-out basement garage complete with driveway to road.

Owner indicated the return was added in '09 when the unit was replaced to better distribute air throughout the house. He then said, "You would think the HVAC guy would know better." Yes, you would think he would.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ozbirn View Post
    He then said, "You would think the HVAC guy would know better." Yes, you would think he would.
    Yes, the HVAC guy should have known better.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A couple years ago I inspected a house for a 1 year punchlist inspection. I saw a covered return in the furnace room. I told the owner it was wrong and he said he knew-his family almost died from CO poisoning. Apparently the system did not originally have enough return-air so the builders HVAC guy came back and solved the problem by putting a return next to the furnace. Yea, you would think that they would know.

Jerry cans, lawn tractor, generator, jeep. They all off gas.
    Makes me also wonder whether he runs the generator in the garage to keep the furnace on during a power failure. Duh.