Default First inspection

I know oils tanks aren't supposed to be too close to areas of combustion but is this too close to the water heater ? Oh and if it is too close what's the proper distance that is should be ?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: First inspection

I wouldn't concern my self with the distance of the tank to water heater, the tank is past its prime. That would be my recommendations to the client. Insurers will want it replaced (at least up here if its past 10 years old) which it certainly appears to be.
    Up here in Ontario the tank has to be at least 10 feet from furnace or a block wall constructed between the two if its closer than 10 feet. Distance is moot since tank should be replaced.

Also the water heater vents into a transite pipe which likely is venting a furnace, and I don't care for that set up either. The pipe does not appear to be adequately sloped (positive slope). Its been patched badly.

Why not recommend replacement of oil furnace with natural gas since the water heater is gas and looks newer.

Default Re: First inspection

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I wouldn't concern my self with the distance of the tank to water heater, the tank is past its prime. That would be my recommendations to the client. Insurers will want it replaced (at least up here if its past 10 years old) which it certainly appears to be.
    Up here in Ontario the tank has to be at least 10 feet from furnace or a block wall constructed between the two if its closer than 10 feet. Distance is moot since tank should be replaced.

Also the water heater vents into a transite pipe which likely is venting a furnace, and I don't care for that set up either. The pipe does not appear to be adequately sloped (positive slope). Its been patched badly.

Why not recommend replacement of oil furnace with natural gas since the water heater is gas and looks newer.
    This is the greatest answer Ive ever recieved on this message board! Thank you so much man thats exactly what I was looking for plus so much more. I just learned so much. The heating is actually a giant 75+ year old "American Radiator Company" boiler. It has a brand new oil burner/primary controller on it but the boiler itself is an antique.